• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Other Trades On This Forum

KingGuin

Sergeant
Having had a scoot around other forums it would appear this is the only one which is used to address work issues e.g. can I have, should I claim etc? Our responses generally indicate we are a helpful and caring bunch but I wonder why non TG17 bods feel the need to post here? Either every other PSF (apaprt from mine obviously) is full of incompetents or folk are shopping around for an answer they want to hear. Your thoughts appreciated before I nip onto the riggers forum and ask for some wing rivetting tips.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Because you usually get an honest answer from the guys (and gals) on here, not just blinded by bullsh1t or duff gen.

But if you've got a question about ETOPs driftdown analysis or payload and/or fuel onload/offload during flight JetPlans, please ask.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
We know the uber hierarchy of the RAF don't want us, so it's nice to think the ordinary man appreciates us. If they want to ask a question, let 'em I say.

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
And most of us will try and answer the questions and be helpful. But it does concern me that there varied answers. However, sometime that is caused by the question not being specific and, what does not help is that the regs at the moment are not always easy to interpret.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I have had a number of questions regarding medical issues and will gladly answer more however it is very difficult especially with regards breaching Medical in Confidence issues. It obviously means that goaters appreciate the responses given here and respect the opinions of the goat desk jockeys

Or is it because you are just another fine example of admin staff that just cannot be bothered to help others as it is too much like hard work and give the trade a bad name:pDT_Xtremez_31:

P

POB

To add to this, many of the answers you guys give are based on interpretation of the rules and regs where those rules and regs are not clear to others, (and there are quite a few that you have to know about). Just about every trade deals with you lot, but very few deal with, for instance, us Opsies/Air Traffikers. I certainly don't want to get into a slagging, but most of the rules that apply to TG9 are enshrined in Aviation Law, geography and physics, not often much room for interpretation there...

KingGuin

Sergeant
I

Or is it because you are just another fine example of admin staff that just cannot be bothered to help others as it is too much like hard work and give the trade a bad name:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Now then Penfold, read my post again. In fact feel free to read all my posts and then you will see that I am indeed uber-nice. You have quite clearly missed my point so I will reiterate it - I am concerned that adminers, as FN suggets, whether through accident or design are unable or unwilling to give correct information at Unit level.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Now then Penfold, read my post again. In fact feel free to read all my posts and then you will see that I am indeed uber-nice. You have quite clearly missed my point so I will reiterate it - I am concerned that adminers, as FN suggets, whether through accident or design are unable or unwilling to give correct information at Unit level.

Not having a go at you mate, i have read your stuff and as well as the other shineys on here, but the highlighted part above I think hits the nail on the head.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I think it has more to do with getting a second opinion. People's admin is important to them - one way or another we are all in this for the money. Our regs are deliberately written in a way that leaves them open to interpretation simply because you cannot legislate for every circumstance. Administration is often not a consultative process (although it should be because we all like to believe that our interpretation is the correct one) which means that the guys on the shop floor rely heavily on the wisdom/attitude/whatever of the single adminer to whom they speak. Sadly I know of several clerks who refuse to look beyond the printed word of the regs. There are other who give people duff gen because to do otherwise creates work for themselves. At times I have been guilty of applying outdated regs because I was looking the wrong way when they changed!

Between us we have resolved many issues that were posted on here (SSH will be eternally grateful to HumbleScribe methinks). But let's not pretend that all the shineys here have agreed with everything that has been said all the time. We haven't. I like to believe that most of the shineys who post on here do so because we are proactive types who enjoy going out of our way to help people. Personally, it's why I still enjoy this job despite all that has changed. I like to feel needed. :pDT_Xtremez_40:

Just one final thought: Between us we make one hell of a PSF don't we? :pDT_Xtremez_30:

M

monobrow

TBJ hit the nail on the head! There have been a couple of times where I stroll in to PSF only to be left confused. If I did have a question though, I wouldn't be shown (in the AP/JSP) the exact wording.

In the case of the "Do We Pay" thread Mrs_M started, I was on the phone to PSF, the guy on the phone first said "Yeah, because you will get a written order to move, you can claim the lot" Only for his chorps/sarge to hear him and tell him that in no uncertain terms we were entitled to f*ck all.

Asking here is not only a second opinion. It's a third fourth and fifth as well! The regs are open to certain amounts of interpretation, and the shineys here are very very very helpful. However, you are all shineys in the RAF. And to answer KingGuin.....

The only way you could compare levels of help, was if you were to stand in the middle of all the PD points and boom out your question. There are many helpful shineys here, as there are at PSF. but when your on the phone or stood at a PD point, you talk to one shiney, here you speak to lots all trying to help.

Last edited:

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Perhaps it's easier for guys to come on here and ask questions rather than pop up to handbrake house and their questions are answered quickly and by many a wise wo/man. Interpretation of the regs is a huge part of the job and I think it is a 2 way process where we can help others and can get some 'gen' ourselves from other Shineys. It is good to see that there are other shineys that care and who like to help but it is rather worrying (still), as FN says, that we do come up with different answers. I'd like to think that this is because all circumstances are different and we have had different experiences of types of questions rather than we don't know what the feck we're doing!

Off Topic Mono, genuinely interested, how did your "Do we Pay?" situation pan out?