• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OPSEC posts

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wobbly/Admin Team:

Can you please clarify the rules regarding OPSEC? I recently deleted a thread due to member objections regarding a breach of OPSEC.

The thread was notifying the Goat of two injured serviceman who were serving in Iraq.

Are these kinds of threads acceptable on the Goat or not?

Thanks

MP

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I mentioned no names, just how and were they had been injured. I did include ranks but this was removed by SSH as he (and I later) thought the post may have included too much information.

G

gemarriott

The golden rule is not to put anything on here that is not already in the public domain. The fact that a couple of guys were injured is obviously important to us but equally so to press, Islamic fundamentalist, terrorists and insurgents. There is no need to make their job easier by letting them know how effective their assaults have been. Added to that imagine the stress such posts put family under until they hear from their loved one that he/she is safe. 2 plumbers bady hurt in Basrah translates into every detatched plumber's families going through the terror needlessly.

As this is now common knowledge fair enough but in future we need to bear opsec, families and accuracy in mind before posting.

Please everybody in future wait a while till it is in the pubic domain before rushing to report incidents. If in doubt check with a mod or the admin staff before posting.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Gem,

The families knew about the incident before I posted it, however, it was not "in the public domain" so to speak.

The objection I got to the thread was that it was giving insurgents after action reports, thus letting them know how effective certain types of attack are.

I think proper clarification (and an amendment to the rules) could be in order here, as I'm getting slightly different interpretations of the rules from different Mods.

I don't want to p1ss people off, nor do I want to expose our guys to needless risk.

Regards

MP

G

gemarriott

Gem,

The families knew about the incident before I posted it, however, it was not "in the public domain" so to speak.

The objection I got to the thread was that it was giving insurgents after action reports, thus letting them know how effective certain types of attack are.

I think proper clarification (and an amendment to the rules) could be in order here, as I'm getting slightly different interpretations of the rules from different Mods.

I don't want to p1ss people off, nor do I want to expose our guys to needless risk.

Regards

MP

I know the plumber world is a small tight one mate but even in our small world just because the families of the injured know doesn't mean all the families know. So a post detailing trade and injured is bound to distress some people. However you are right we need some clarification and we will work on it and let you all have some as soon as possible.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Things were only posted on here well after the event, that were already on another website, and when it was already public knowledge, indeed WO Arm at Air Command had issued an email to all units listing names of persons affected in order to stop rumour and speculation.

IMHO it is, within the parameters of OPSEC, important to highlight that personnel are getting injured in attacks, joe public has absolutely no idea about this and only sees fatalities on the news. Obviously this needs to be balanced with handing info over to the enemy though.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know the plumber world is a small tight one mate but even in our small world just because the families of the injured know doesn't mean all the families know. So a post detailing trade and injured is bound to distress some people. However you are right we need some clarification and we will work on it and let you all have some as soon as possible.

You didn't seem to concerned about this when you posted on the thread here or on the thread on the armourers website.

G

gemarriott

You didn't seem to concerned about this when you posted on the thread here or on the thread on the armourers website.

I didn't have the benefit of hindsight then. Which is why we need to clarify the rules before anybody gets wound up over something silly.

I agree that we should be telling people about the injuries as well as the deaths but after considering posts regarding opsec and family issues it is the timing rather than the actual contact of the posts. It's a fine line I know, I think I was right to post what I did so was Monty but perhaps it was a bit too soon after the event.

When it comes to rank and names that is obviously a persec no no but as you right to point out once it has appeared on our website putting the fact 2 plumbers were hurt on here can't hurt, again it was just the timing.

B

Bluntend

I don't want to be confronatational here, but given the sensitivity of discussing deaths or injuries whilst on Ops, especially when considering the wider OPSEC considerations as well as the needs of the family involved, caution is the best approach. If we know is that a servicman or woman has been killed or injured on Ops, I would argue that names, ranks etc do not need to be discussed on here until the MOD has released that infomation to the press. Just because it might have been published on the MOD intranet or be in open discussion on base does not mean it is our place to publish these details on the internet. Until the MoD provides a press release which details names, ranks, trades or branches and specifics of the incident, we should keep quiet. I appreciate we all want to pass on our condolences, and having a mate injured or killed is tough on us all but we're a disciplined force and should maintain a high standard of discipline when dealing with such sensitive issues.

There endeth the sermon...

FOMz

Warrant Officer
And if you still don't adhere expect a visit from these guys in a black Omega

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

We have discussed this issue at some length over the weekend and came up with following

We don't want the following subject matter posting until it is in the public domain, ie posted on BBC, Sky National press etc.

Names, Ranks or trades of injured,
Type of injury
Nature of attack which caused injury

Once a subject is in the public domain think before you post anything which has not been made public, eg location of attack, time and target etc.

There is nothing at all wrong with welcoming our wounded home or posting a general get well soon a few days after an event as everyone who needs to know should know but keep it general and no names or ranks please.

We plumbers were a little fast on the send button over the two armourers however and I accept my full share of responsibility for that.

Basically if you follow bluntends post you won't go far wrong.

If you aren't sure don't post is the best bet we will always advise if you need it.

Last edited:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Great,

Thanks for yours and the rest of the teams help Gem, I'm assuming this will be incorporated into the forum rules for all new members to read?

Regards

MP

G

gemarriott

Great,

Thanks for yours and the rest of the teams help Gem, I'm assuming this will be incorporated into the forum rules for all new members to read?

Regards

MP

Indeed it will when Wobbly sobers up, I have it on good authority he got very ****ed this weekend:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
:pDT_Xtremez_38: Exactly. No need to give them GPS for the next one. RIP lads