• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One rule for them and another for the rest...

P

pie sandwich

You didn't expect anything to happen against the winged master race did you!!
I bet after it happened they blamed some spotty youth of an SAC who was no where near the A/C.

Mustang

Corporal
One rule for them and another for the rest...

Nothing new, I witnessed an impressive crash at Scampton about 88. There was a certain Sqn Ldr who had a habit of retracting the gear and flaps the moment he got off the ground. It was fairly obvious that this would end in tears sooner or later. It did. Matey was just a tad too fast and hit the down draft of the man in front, add to that the fact that he extended the airbrake as well. The end result looked quite amusing, from the tower. The Hawk ended up facing the runway on the grass and appeared, as seen from the tower to be holding for Rwy 23. One half was covered in blue smoke the other side was still red. The bang seat landed a short distance from the jet as did the pilot.

There followed a short notice vacancy for a dead sparrow.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I bet after it happened they blamed some spotty youth of an SAC who was no where near the A/C.

Pie that's almost exactly what happened in the late 80's when the reds had an incident. Never was the lads fault, the jockey missed something on his walk round but the SAC got the blame. Took 3 of us a couple of months of serious tin bashing to get it back into shape.

W

wgaf

As usual from the gutter press, uninformed, uneducated, utter, utter cr@p!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Its another subject, but what the hell. I would have thought that in these leaner times, it would send the right signal out to confine ALL of the sparrows to the hangar for the immediate future.

Rationale:

1. There isn't enough cash about to do what is supposed to be done operationally.
2. There is no need to "encourage" individuals to enlist right now anyway - the economy has seen to that. Fewer people are leaving that need replacement as well.
3. It is a pretty wanton waste of very scarce public resources and open to quite honest criticism.
4. The only people who want the money spent on the arrows are those with an economic of career interest in doing so.

Discuss. or don't.

Digzster

Sergeant
Flying pay paid?

Flying pay paid?

What are the odds on the jockey still receiving flying pay whilst off for 9 months?

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Nothing new, I witnessed an impressive crash at Scampton about 88. There was a certain Sqn Ldr who had a habit of retracting the gear and flaps the moment he got off the ground. It was fairly obvious that this would end in tears sooner or later. It did. Matey was just a tad too fast and hit the down draft of the man in front, add to that the fact that he extended the airbrake as well. The end result looked quite amusing, from the tower. The Hawk ended up facing the runway on the grass and appeared, as seen from the tower to be holding for Rwy 23. One half was covered in blue smoke the other side was still red. The bang seat landed a short distance from the jet as did the pilot.

There followed a short notice vacancy for a dead sparrow.

Wasn't that on the BBC Live and Kicking as Phillip Schofield was in the jet next to it ?

Didn't they park one in someones house just after?

Chaka

Sergeant
You didn't expect anything to happen against the winged master race did you!!

Isn't it traditional to blame Air Traffic Control in 'gear up' landings?:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
I guess they got rid of the "three green lights" to indicate your gear was down and locked. The two pilots were probably politely talking about the problem when they went down

Front seat: Do you have the landing gear control back there
Back seat: Yes old boy I do believe I do
Front Seat: Top Hole, would you be so kind as to drop the gear then
Back Seat: Absolutely old boy but maybe you should activate the bang seats
Front Seat: Why should I do that old man
Back Seat: Because we are crashing you fcukin idiot.....

Mustang

Corporal
Wasn't that on the BBC Live and Kicking as Phillip Schofield was in the jet next to it ?

Didn't they park one in someones house just after?

No, that must have occured beforehand. The Sparrows took off for a practice with one of them having u/s airbrakes. Unfortunately the jet concerned was in the middle of an aluminium butty and closing on the man in front with no means of slowing down and nowhere to go but up the other mans chuff. It ended up raining red aluminium over the village next to Scampton. The funny bit that there was young lad who was dead keen on the Sparrows (sad but true) and he ended up with half a wing in his bedroom. Fortunately no one was hurt. Those who had their houses damaged were given free accommodation in MQs in Scampton.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The back seater wasn't a pilot. In fact he wasn't even getting flying pay.... he he. And I suspect he swore a lot more than "We're crashing you f***ing idiot""

dkh51250

Sergeant
Mustang, the house that the wing landed on belonged to one of the civilian barmen from the Officers Mess.

It was the same year that N*** M********** ploughed in on the runway.

The answer to the other question is NO Mr P was less than impressed to find himself quite lonely following the departure of the man in the front seat at Cranwell.

I also seem to recall that in days gone by there were two Sqn Ldrs on the team, so why now do they need two Wg Cdrs?