• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

old sayings and stuff

sid the squid

Sergeant
does anyone out there remember any old sayings and phrases etc (or probably still used) that were used in the forces mainly i think.
Callings someone a POSB (pronounced POSBY) for being a bit tight springs to mind. I Believe it orginated from Post Office Savings Bank owners, who where called tight for basically being a saver !
And who can forget the good old Scaly brat ... I belive that was from married people being on Scale E years ago.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I used to save £20 a month, a lot of money back in the day. Used it for Xmas. Had to send it off to Glasgow to get made up and usually returned a few days later. Still got the old books in a box somewhere.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Who can forget POSB. I started it at Locking and put a fiver a month in. I didn't touch it until after demob. On balance I actually lost money with it because of the tiny interest rates and massive inflation of the late 70's and 80's.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Who can forget POSB. I started it at Locking and put a fiver a month in. I didn't touch it until after demob. On balance I actually lost money with it because of the tiny interest rates and massive inflation of the late 70's and 80's.

Yeah but we were all young and didn't give a stuff about interest rates and inflation.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm not sure how far it goes back in the annals of time but I've always liked and still used 'let's get our sh1t in a sock' way too much in a civvy work place where they stop and stare at you as if you really are going to pull out a swollen sock reeking of fetch!

I also like this one which I will put into context...'so we have one more turd in the water cooler to get rid of before we can crack on....'

Again people stop listening as they fight the mental picture it conjures up which amuses me greatly!

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
does anyone out there remember any old sayings and phrases etc (or probably still used) that were used in the forces mainly i think.
Callings someone a POSB (pronounced POSBY) for being a bit tight springs to mind. I Believe it orginated from Post Office Savings Bank owners, who where called tight for basically being a saver !
And who can forget the good old Scaly brat ... I belive that was from married people being on Scale E years ago.

Shreddies - underpants, from Hindi, chudi, although at the time I thought it might refer to the state they were in.
Dhobi - Hindi, 'laundry,' especially if done by hand.
Officers' groundsheets - airwomen.
Penicillin tabbers - long-serving airmen with several overseas postings, from imputations of having had multiple doses of clap.
Wolverhampton Wanderers or simply The Wanderers - knickerless slappers who used to hang around Bridgnorth.
Sprog - 'baby,' recruit or recent ex-recruit.
Get yer trunk out - to a sprog butting into the conversation of his elders and betters.
Noddy - someone who went to bed early to dream of the wife he'd married recently.
Can you drive? Well back onto this! - witticism to make the day go by a little quicker.
Honker - someone who couldn't keep his drink down.
Speedy - someone who wasn't.
Outside in two minutes with brooms, best boots and jock straps - silly saying alleged to have been made by a DI.
Get yer 'at on, lad, there's WOODPECKERS abaht! - DI saying witnessed by me.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yeah but we were all young and didn't give a stuff about interest rates and inflation.

Very true.

Words/Phrases that have fallen into disuse by me since demob.

gash
purple p!ss (heart is bleeding)
kitchen-pass
beer chits
spondoolies
reesting
crack-on
christmas-treeing
pukka (gen)

There must be hundreds more...

*edit **** to p!ss*

morse1001

Sergeant
Golden blanket: Someone who spent all their time off in bed or asleep.
Char and a Wad: Tea and bun.
Swindle as in tea or coffee swindle: Local fund to buy tea or coffee and extra things for the section.
Spanner: Someone who was technically gifted but socially deficient.
2359: Someone of African origin, devised by DI.
Sticky Bun Bar: Part of the NAAFI where you bought tea and soft drinks.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
One that came my way only last week that I hadn't heard for many a year - Banjaxed; as in it's totally broken! As it was in a document at a meeting, cue lots of wtf from other attendees!

AVliney

LAC
asked an SAC(T) if he could get me a paper when he went to the Colonel! Didn't have a clue what i was on about!!

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
old sayings and stuff

How' s about these
SNAU = Situation Normal, All F!"£ed UP
FUBA = F!"£ed Up Beyond Belief
Dhobi Dust = Washing Powder
"I'm going to count my knees" = Dump Time
Dropping the kids off at the pool" = As above

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
"Stick your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye" - crash position

"Dirty dart" - cross an airway at 90 degrees and high speed if unable to establish radio contact with civilian controller

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If it's not raining it's not training
How long have you been in? Don't look at your watch...
POETS
RHIP
Old folks home
Sharpener (a drink taken before the main session starts)
RSB (before receipting...a person who packed pot noodles on a detachment with good rates)
From the claw: Royals, Gimmers and Children
BOBFOC (when describing a bird with a tight body but face like a bag of smashed tw@ts)

Nimrod sayings
Wheels is wheels (term for when you leave without someone because they are late)
Scrub dance (what knockers did down the back when the jet went tits on crew-in)
Sheets/beer chits/spondooleys/buckage/moozoola/greenback (all used to describe rates issued normally by the copilot once airborne)
First night madness (what we all did on the first night in any country. No matter how big the time difference you had to drink until their bar closed not when your body screamed 'go to bed knobend')
Oggin/the drink (the sea under you)
Need to get wheels up (the point where it was difficult to stop the scam you were pulling off using one of the Queens jets...generally a cheeky weekend somewhere on rates)
Boring holes (double meaning. It's what we did when ordered to do a minimum 6 hour sortie but had ran out of ideas or things to look at in the assigned area)
Bumps and rolls (circuits back at Kinloss...>10 was classed as tedious)
Honkers (a stew made in the galley pan from anything in the rations and crew ration bag)
Cupping (what happened to you if you dozed off...at least one paper cup would be stealthily stuck to the top of your headset. When you awoke it could be there for hours making you look a tw@t...photos were mandatory)
Panda eyes (everything you had to put to your eyes will have been blacked...periscope, binos etc...so you get panda eyes)
Mike lips (when your headset Mike has been coloured with a red pen. You lips brush it all the time and you end up with luscious lips)
Golden rule (never ever used the bog on board for a sh1t...never)
In the weeds (when at 200')
Off for one (what you say on intercom when you need a p1ss)
DCS (dairy cream sponge cake. Much revered item in the rations.)

Last edited:

macfish

LAC
"That grips my sh*t". Oft quoted when annoyed at something .

Bulk fool installation. Term of endearment for the guardroom and it's inhabitants.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
"You don't look at the mantlepiece when you poke the fire." (Bonking an ugly lady.)
"Paper bag!" (Bonking a very ugly lady - bag to be worn over her head.)
"There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle." (Bonking a lady 20 years your senior.)
"Never sh!t on your own doorstep." (Bonking your sister-in-law.)
"My name's Smith from London, look me up in the phone book." (Having had your Wicked Way with an innocent country girl.)
"I'm pregnant, what steps are you going to take?" - "Bloody great ones!"

Last edited: