• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oh dear.

Minor

SAC
I must say, 37mph through a red light is too quick. I cant speak for fire brigade driver training, but within the police at a red light we bring the speed right down to around 10-15 mph, then accelerate away if the roads are clear.

All emergency drivers fear the collisions the most. But for the grace of god.

K

k9138

On their way to potentially save lives and end up taking one! Poor guy. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
My 2 penny worth? He was way too fast through the red light. He should have slowed right down and treated it as a give way.

K

k9138

My 2 penny worth? He was way too fast through the red light. He should have slowed right down and treated it as a give way.

Completely agree but that's looking at things after the fact.

There are so many 'what if's' and none will bring the dead guy back. However, what if there were a house on fire with kids trapped inside.....different to attending the cat up a tree scenario. You would need to know what kind of job they were attending before sitting in judgement.

On blue light jobs your adrenaline kicks in and they were wanting to get there fast with the best of intentions - they didn't know that on this particular day a deaf man would be driving through at a set of lights they have probably been through many times before without incident. This time they fkd up and someone died and yes it was the drivers fault but it wasn't intentional - look how many people have been hurt or killed in police blue light runs/chases.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Completely agree but that's looking at things after the fact.

There are so many 'what if's' and none will bring the dead guy back. However, what if there were a house on fire with kids trapped inside.....different to attending the cat up a tree scenario. You would need to know what kind of job they were attending before sitting in judgement.

On blue light jobs your adrenaline kicks in and they were wanting to get there fast with the best of intentions - they didn't know that on this particular day a deaf man would be driving through at a set of lights they have probably been through many times before without incident. This time they fkd up and someone died and yes it was the drivers fault but it wasn't intentional - look how many people have been hurt or killed in police blue light runs/chases.

Sorry fella, I can't agree. 37 in a 30, through a red light is reckless, regardless of what incident he was attending.
No incident warrants driving so recklessly that you won't arrive.
Does the adrenaline kick in with a 40 year old experienced driver? I'd hope not, it's not like it's the first time he's done it.
The advice given is very clear. Slow down and treat the red light as a give way.

B

Bucc Boy

What is that saying ‘Can’t do right for doing wrong!’ Tragic situation, kind of civvy equivalent of killed by friendly fire.

I suspect Mr Trotter is feeling pretty low as well as the mourning family.

M

Moz_Magister

Maybe the fireman did bend the rules in his haste to save people but I think it begs the question is it safe for deaf people to be driving if they are unable to hear warning sirens, horns etc?

Of course it is a tragedy and I feel for those involved but these things happen and you have to wonder how many people may have died over the years from engines arriving too late because they slowed down at every light they saw?

I don't know but I imagine there has probably been more 'incorrect shootings' by people like CO 19, than have been hit and killed by fire engines.

It's a messy old world aint it?

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
What is that saying ‘Can’t do right for doing wrong!’ Tragic situation, kind of civvy equivalent of killed by friendly fire.

I suspect Mr Trotter is feeling pretty low as well as the mourning family.

I completely agree there Bucc. Feel for both sides of this story. I can only hope the fireman can return to duty and carry on doing a great job.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Maybe the fireman did bend the rules in his haste to save people but I think it begs the question is it safe for deaf people to be driving if they are unable to hear warning sirens, horns etc?

he didnt bend the rules he broke them even on blues and two's they are not above the law. even if the poor chap who was killed had been deaf the light's were red for the fire truck and green for him so he had the right of way!
a question to ponder whould be if people who are deaf shouldnt be driving what about those people who drive with the stereo on at levels the who would be proud of?

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
he didnt bend the rules he broke them even on blues and two's they are not above the law. even if the poor chap who was killed had been deaf the light's were red for the fire truck and green for him so he had the right of way!
a question to ponder whould be if people who are deaf shouldnt be driving what about those people who drive with the stereo on at levels the who would be proud of?

Can you not actually get into trouble for driving with your car stereo too loud these days??? Wasn't it just bought in that you can get points for such like acts as well as even turning up your stereo unless you have the buttons to do so on your steering wheel.

I agree it is dangerous to drive if you can't hear. I have a deaf relative and I have been in the car with him. I have to admit that I always ensure I am driving now when I am with him as I don't think he has the same awareness or his surroundings as I do. Something which is vital while you are behind the wheel.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
I completely agree there Bucc. Feel for both sides of this story. I can only hope the fireman can return to duty and carry on doing a great job.
The said firefighter has returned to duty with a fine and 6 points on his license.