• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Off Duty in Uniform?

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Found this
Just wondering peoples thoughts?
Personally, I've been used to not wearing uniform off duty 'cause of the Troubles.
Now we're in a different age of terroism, I don't think we should make ourselves 'soft targets' yet again.
Out to the floor.....

I never thought you wore uniform when on duty. I mean it's not as if there are many blue 12 by 12s going spare.

S

shoutingwind

I'd wear my uniform in public- and if anyone wants to hurl abuse at me, then bring it on, I've big shoulders.

I'd also want a t shirt saying "not the fecking army" too :)

S

shoutingwind

ah sweet! i see wobbly has had that idea already :pDT_Xtremez_30:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I've got a sand coloured one. They're a bit tight mind.............(or maybe I'm a bit fat)

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Off Duty in Uniform

Off Duty in Uniform

I live in an area where we see a mix of regular armed, Retained and cadet forces. Personally the regulars are allways well presented even if they cannot handle the rifles on parade.

However Everybody has had cause recently to complain to the OC's of the cadet forces for the poor (too generous) dress and behaviour. They like the rest should where the uniform with pride and understand what it represents.

I personally prescribe to the lead by example not always easy but it needs to be done.

My piece said.

C

CanuckPilot

We've occasionally had trouble with our cadets too. As one of those responsible for their supervision, I know that some part-time staff tend not to take the uniform seriously considering their job is essentially to facilitate a youth program. Unfortunately their poor example tends to filter down to their cadets. The other problem... 12 year old kids tend to act like kids a lot. Go figure!

One thing's for sure, most cadet units in Canada could show the reg force and reserve guys a thing or two about looking sharp on parade! I've spent years training precision drill teams. (More so as a senior cadet than an Officer, but it's generally not an officers place to be teaching drill) I've seen plenty a veterans parade or some such where the Drill and Dress of the cadet units put the Reservists to shame. Sure sure, they have work to do, and so they can be forgiven for forgetting basic commands or parade movements, right? lol

skevans

Flight Sergeant
A few years ago once the Good Friday agreement etc had settled in and there was no longer a considerable threat to UK forces from Irish dissidents a service wide statement was released. In this statement there was official recognition that uniforms could indeed be worn openly in public, provided the individual was not doing anything that might cast a shadow over the UK armed forces.

It was hoped that this kind of action might help raise the public profile of the armed forces and even help recruitment, whilst giving back some identity and pride to servicemen and women.

So it looks to me like we are reinventing the wheel here.

A spokesman for the MoD said currently soldiers follow the advice of their commanding officers on whether or not it is appropriate to wear uniforms while off duty, but most choose not to as a matter of personal safety.

What a cracking quote! Nothing to do with fashion, lack of awareness of what the uniform stands for etc then?

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Slightly off topic but I was told a few years ago I had to change into civvys to leave camp at Leconfield, being a big rufty tufty RAF JT I promptly told the Lance Jack that he could f off as I'd cleared and he could stick his Army rules up his hoop. Then I ran away really quick before he got someone bigger to come and tell me to change.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

F

FoxyFed

Off Topic I was very privileged to be involved in the Winchester Parade on Tues. It was a homecoming for the guys and girls who had been OOA to either Iraq or Afghan. It was all organised by Hampshire Council and was the first time all 3 services had marched through the city. We had 18 people there from Odiham ( We were great) and were only a small part compared to the amount of Army there but what struck me was the amount of people who had turned up to see it. There were people lining the streets all the way up to the Great Hall, waving flags and holding up home made banners, which said welcome home etc. People were shouting their thanks to us and it was quite a humbling and overwhelming experience. The media were there and some of the guys and girls were giving interviews etc. We then finished in the Great Hall with free food and drink and each got a glass tankard which was inscribed. (Basically thanks for serving your country from Hants Council.)I never expected the reaction that we got from the public that day and it has changed my opinion on what some of the public think of the Armed Forces. I know Winchester is a military town but it was still awesome.Off Topic

With regards to wearing my uniform off duty, I would only do it if I felt comfortable in my surroundings as it always seems as if you have to be on your guard all the time in case you get started on by nutters with nothing better to do with their time. That said I would quite happily wear it in Winchester after Tues.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Broody stupid idea, but what else do you expect from our illustrious PM.
Do the our honourable MP's wear their business suites when they get home, at the supermarkey or when they are off duty
I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

Why should any member of the armed services put them selves at further risk just because G'ddam Broon thinks it's a good idea. Don't our politicians read the newspapers or watch TV. (Ref the chomper pleading guilty to plotting to kidnap and behead some poor Squaddie)