• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Off Duty in Uniform?

mightyhunter

Sergeant
Found this
Just wondering peoples thoughts?
Personally, I've been used to not wearing uniform off duty 'cause of the Troubles.
Now we're in a different age of terroism, I don't think we should make ourselves 'soft targets' yet again.
Out to the floor.....

jack brew

Sergeant
I definitely don't wear it in public! I'm pretty sure the rules say not to. Making your employment known on Facebook and MySpace (yes, you with the CS95's on in your profile picture, I'm talking to you!) is a bad idea too...

It wouldn't take much for Al Qiada to latch onto a serviceman, just think back to that plot in Birmingham to kidnap one of us.

P

pie sandwich

Nice to see the left hand knows what the right hand is doing, We are encouraged to wear uniform when off duty doing the weekly shop in tesco's and yet we can not wear it at a civvy airport when returning from OOA and have nowt else to wear.

There is nothing like mixed message's from the gimps in their ivory towers:pDT_Xtremez_34:

having been on the receiving end of verbal abuse from an asian gentleman regarding the killing of muslims whilst wearing my uniform in a supermarket (he bottled it when I started staring at him), I will not be wearing mine in public again unless its for a parade or such like.

It aint to stop offending people, its for the hate crime I will commit when I **** one of the *******s giving me grief.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'm all for wearing it in public actually. We need to show these people that we cannot give up our way of life to suit them and that we are proud of our Armed Forces.

At the end of the day if your numbers up and Death is calling there is nothing you can do about it, uniform or no uniform.

Unsure of the current regulations of course unless somebody online here can re-acquaint them to us off the top of their head.

Last edited:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm all for wearing it in public actually. We need to show these people that we cannot give up our way of life to suit them and that we are proud of our Armed Forces.

At the end of the day if your numbers up and Death is calling there is nothing you can do about it, uniform or no uniform.

Unsure of the current regulations of course unless somebody online here can re-acquint them to us off the top of their head.

As far as I was aware it was a local command decision with the emphasis firmly on caution.

I for one see no reason against wearing uniform, not convinced about bumbling round Tescos in it though.

Crikey not all that many years ago Servicemen carried their personal weapon around public transport! How times have changed!

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
I'm for wearing it too. Proudly, emphatically and smartly. Let the public know what we look like, they've forgotten apart from the odd parade.

Who?

SNCO Odds and Sods
Having been on the receiving end of some arab chaps abuse whilst walking with my local ATC cadets back up to the squadron, it went along the lines of we're all baby killers and he hoped we all died....unnamed cadets response: f*** off back to your own country then!

Personally I think it's a good idea as it might make people realise how many service personnel they actually know.

Not sure how safe it would be in the current climate though with the plot in Birmingham last year to kidnap a service man.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Having been on the receiving end of some arab chaps abuse whilst walking with my local ATC cadets back up to the squadron, it went along the lines of we're all baby killers and he hoped we all died....unnamed cadets response: f*** off back to your own country then!

Personally I think it's a good idea as it might make people realise how many service personnel they actually know.

Not sure how safe it would be in the current climate though with the plot in Birmingham last year to kidnap a service man.

It's amazing to think its commonplace in the States, and here we are scared about wearing our uniform in case some fundamentalist n0bhead decides to plan an attack on us.

If we are proud of our Service and our Country why shouldn't we wear our uniform in public and remind people that our service personnel are not second class citizens hiding behind anonymity.

It's worth remembering that whilst the IRA threat was very real, our forces were not facing the current crisis that we are now facing and I firmly believe a growing section of the public really do not like us.

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
I for one go to the local Asda's in uniform on a daily basis. It is not uncommon to see two or three of us in at the same time. The only people that give us dirty looks are the squddies from the nearby Army camp.
That doesnt bother me, I get paid more than them and get to think for myself.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_28: :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
I'm against the idea purely because most of the guys you see in the local Supermarket or petrol station in uniform look like a bag of sh!te!! Servicemen should look smart in public but this will just encourage them to walk round with their hats off, hands in pockets etc, etc where they think they won't be bawled at by the SWO or a SNCO (not that many SNEC's have the bottle to b0ll0ck people these days). Unfortunately, this will show the public that we've lost the pride in our appearance and that we're not as smart as they'd like to think we are.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Have you ever thought Humble Scribe that the said individual looking like a bag of sh#*e actually put in a hard days work hence the apperance of looking scruffy. We can't always have sharp creases and bulled toe caps for us engineers you know. Getting down and dirty sometimes is part of the job. Not sitting behind a desk looking important doing our Secondary Duties.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have you ever thought Humble Scribe that the said individual looking like a bag of sh#*e actually put in a hard days work hence the apperance of looking scruffy. We can't always have sharp creases and bulled toe caps for us engineers you know. Getting down and dirty sometimes is part of the job. Not sitting behind a desk looking important doing our Secondary Duties.

Quality RJL!:pDT_Xtremez_14: It's a well known fact that RAF techies are generally a scruffy load of sh1t.

That being said, I wouldn't bimble around in my denims, and would attempt to make myself presentable if I were to wear uniform in a public place.

W

Wonky Tonka

Fair point, but most of us engineers wouldn't be wearing our blues whilst we were "working", and you'd get lynched for going about town in your coveralls.

There is a distinct lack of pride in the appearance of many of the younger lads & lasses today. It's okay to have your uniform looking crap after a hard day, but not first thing on a Monday morning.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fair point, but most of us engineers wouldn't be wearing our blues whilst we were "working", and you'd get lynched for going about town in your coveralls.

There is a distinct lack of pride in the appearance of many of the younger lads & lasses today. It's okay to have your uniform looking crap after a hard day, but not first thing on a Monday morning.

Oh, not the "youngsters of today" again. To be honest, there are plenty of JNCOs and even SNCOs who walk around looking like a bag of dog turd, so it's got nothing to do with the "yoof" of today.

If the Seniors can't sort themselves out, what hope have the SACs and JTs got?

M

monobrow

Strangely enough, I have just bulled my shoes for tomorrow. Theres no point in expecting the lads to actually make an effort when your looking like a bag'o'shoite first thing Monday.

W

Wonky Tonka

Strangely enough, I have just bulled my shoes for tomorrow. Theres no point in expecting the lads to actually make an effort when your looking like a bag'o'shoite first thing Monday.

My point exactly, Mono.
I always make sure that I'm well turned-out, the old Lead-by-example thing

However, how can I win when I got told off for expecting the lads in my place to be presentable?

One guy had shoes worn through to the bare leather, his trousers were pale grey and I doubt if his shirt had ever seen an iron.

I was told that he's always been like that and nothing seems to work to get him to buck up his ideas.

My suggestion that he accompanied me to clothing stores got me a one-way chat with the Snec!!

Apologies for wandering slightly Off Topic

Humble Scribe

Sergeant

Did I mention techies? But if the cap fits..........