• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now it starts to cost...

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
After just over 4yrs since leaving the RAF, today I've thrown away my last pair of free issue socks which I acquired prior to leaving.
Now I have to buy my own!
This is going to hurt...
(Still got a wooly-pully and a few dark blue shirts for my time in the shed/garden)
Do you have anything left 'in reserve'?

fourteen2two

Corporal
My denims lasted a few years but eventually had to buy some:0 Same with safety boots!
Still got an old dpm jacket for gardening car cleaning etc! Acquired it at Colt in about 76!

I have a new pattern (mtp?) one my neighbours son gave me after he left the army, it was still in wrapping! Good bit of kit.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Chucked away a couple of duffle bags after 4 years out, started buying socks long before I left

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dessp2

SAC
Chucked away a couple of duffle bags after 4 years out, started buying socks long before I left

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I started wearing blue as normal working dress (2017) I have had to buy my own socks. The service issue thin ones lose their elasticity as soon as I put them on my feet (straight out of the packet). The thin black socks issued now make Primark look like John Lewis.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have my cap badge and the lightning fist badge in a tin somewhere. I also have my old kit bag. This isn't a photo of the actual bag, I got it off google. It is, at the moment just out of reach in the attic.

Kit bag.JPG

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I threw the socks away and don't buy single colour or black socks at all now....all are white or patterned.
I have my Kit Bag which was in weekly use for my weekly commute for about 13 years...It is now lounging in a spare room waiting for the next jaunt.
I also have my Bergen. It is full of apparently shrunken DPs, A Poncho, some long shank Boots and my trusty Combat Knife (with built-in fishing kit and compass).
My garage is full of ex-MOD wardrobes (bought for 10DM each and transported from Laarbruch to my home in Britain at Betty's expense) in which I store much of my tools and gear.
Finally, I have two complete AF and Metric aircraft tool kits in Roller Cabs that have possibly seen better use since leaving the RAF that when 'used' in service.

apart from that....?

ktuludays

LAC
I have goretex, cs95 kit, sausage bag, duffel bag, fleeces, Norwegians, socks, gloves. Cs95 boots.

Mainly use goretex and green wicking t shirts these days. I'm a handyman so tend to use them when working outdoors.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Since I started wearing blue as normal working dress (2017) I have had to buy my own socks. The service issue thin ones lose their elasticity as soon as I put them on my feet (straight out of the packet). The thin black socks issued now make Primark look like John Lewis.

Agree with that - I've not worn issue socks since I left Halton. The quality of socks was obviously much higher 'back in the day'. Come to think of it, most of our issue blues are way down on the quality scale; our green kit isn't too bad though (except for pocket placement on the sleeves, the designer had a real brainfart with that one...)

Umbo

SAC
Now it starts to cost...

Blue wooden gloves. Issued in 78 at Swinderby, with name / number tags stitched inside by my late Mother. Just cannot get rid of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Blue wooden gloves. Issued in 78 at Swinderby, with name / number tags stitched inside by my late Mother. Just cannot get rid of them.

I bet they weren't very comfy.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
To any coppers reading this:pDT_Xtremez_42:.
I have no stuff "borrowed" from Aunty Betty's flying circus following my many years service to the crown.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Green flying socks - These are the biz for walking or when wearing willies and they seem to last forever.

Black ops bag - That's the black bag they issued for you to use on ops not a bag that goes on deniable missions. Still use it now as it has handy rucksack straps for when you need your hands free.

Boots - Got lots in the garage from flying boots to LPO'd American dessy boots. I can't bring myself to chuck them but I do not have a use to date for them!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
To any coppers reading this:pDT_Xtremez_42:.
I have no stuff "borrowed" from Aunty Betty's flying circus following my many years service to the crown.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Might I add that my nice free Tool Kits were written off as scrap when Laarbruch closed in 1999...I just happened to be the Inventory Holder! (niiiiiiice!-)

Digzster

Sergeant
Best thing I got was a receipt from an auction house in Horncastle in 1979-

"Tools various assorted- military marked, surplus".

Kept that receipt in my vehicle for the next XX years going in and out of bases!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

terence

Corporal

still got my beret complete with proper brass badge issued in 1966...left in 1979 and that's the only thing left except memories..

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Best thing I got was a receipt from an auction house in Horncastle in 1979-

"Tools various assorted- military marked, surplus".

Kept that receipt in my vehicle for the next XX years going in and out of bases!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I have to say that was the action of a pro. Let's hope this admission hasn't given away the secret to the millions that you now live on and have squirrelled for the future...