• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not new but recently returned

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Hello all!

I took a rather long sabbatical from the goat but also from life in general. I see a lot has changed round here but lots of the faces are the same and there is still some of that banter we all love!

I have been diagnosed with severe chronic PTSD after 6 years of investigating the content of some very deranged and deviant scumbags hard drives and browsing sessions. I have been given a medical discharge date in January and am shitting myself as I will probably never work again and no idea what the financial future looks like.

I used to be as guilty as most when I looked at 'weak' people with their twisted socks, but now I am in the position I am, all I will say is if you think that way then go fcuk yourself! I wouldn't wish the living hell of each day on even my worst enemy. If anybody ever needs a chat, please feel free to drop me a message. I have had enough therapy to be able to just shut up and listen 😁

I don't have 'good days' but I do have good hours, so if I am not around here and then you will know why.

It is good to be back though and thanks to everyone involved in keeping the crew room alive!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Well that was an open and honest response - sorry to hear this :confused:. What i will say:

You've got a long road ahead of you, but you have already taken positive steps by posting here - could you have seen yourself doing that a week, a month, a year ago?

Financial future - it may seem like hard work, or you don't want to talk about your issues with others, but if you have have been diagnosed with PTSD get a claim in through AFCS. Last time i checked, PTSD/Mental Health awards were worth £28k lump sum and a GIP. If you choose to go down this route get in touch with the British Legion as they may be able to represent you.

As for work - you have have a skillset, not the work you have been doing, but IT Security, Pen Testing etc. Give it time and you may be using your skills in different areas. Or take your pension, your GIP and stack shelves in Tesco - try and look at leaving as a new door opening, the next chapter in you and family Chips life.

Hello all!

Hi!
There IS light at the end of the tunnel chum!
I had to retire from the RAF in 1989 dues to my wife having suffered two "Strokes" and she became disabled. Being a 42 year old catering Mess Manager, work in the hotel field at my age, despite my civilian qualifications, was impossible as according to the usual script "I had no civilian work experience" ! I became depressed for a few months but I was lucky and I found an admin managers job with an International Holiday Park company, and they paid me a LOT of money as the Customer Care & Aftersales Manager. I worked there for 4 years and received a large redundancy package when I had to leave to take care of my wife.

I then took the Royal British Legion Welfare Case Workers course and their Prison Visitors course and I worked a case worker for them for 20 years. The job was voluntary, but you do get your travel expenses. I moved down to Torquay 4 years ago and I now work for the RAF Association as a Freestanding Welfare Officer covering the Torbay area.
Help is always available from both organisations and that help covers many forms.
If any of the members would like more information, then please email me at the address below.
All correspondence will be in strict confidence as I'm subject to the data protection act.

Ken Driver
Torquay
stonehaven2@hotmail.co.uk

Last edited:

dkh51250

Sergeant
Hi chiprafp.

Firstly, welcome back. Secondly, I am sure that in the days to come you will receive oodles of advice, the link below will open doors for you, and signpost you to whatever assistance you seek. I live close to one of the PRCs and the work being undertaken there is incredible.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Hi chiprafp.

Firstly, welcome back. Secondly, I am sure that in the days to come you will receive oodles of advice, the link below will open doors for you, and signpost you to whatever assistance you seek. I live close to one of the PRCs and the work being undertaken there is incredible.

Cheers mate I have a course at Tedworth next month

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Chip, first and foremost..... never lose sight that you are not alone. Even if people don’t ‘get it’ , they get the Service and the camaraderie.
Nobody here is weak, and if anyone even thought that they’d be told to look inwards and see what they think.
One massive step is that you have told your friends here, and that already has drawn support and encouragement.
Keep on here, fella, between us all there’s enough knowledge etc, but you are amongst family, you always have been.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Chip, first and foremost..... never lose sight that you are not alone. Even if people don’t ‘get it’ , they get the Service and the camaraderie.
Nobody here is weak, and if anyone even thought that they’d be told to look inwards and see what they think.
One massive step is that you have told your friends here, and that already has drawn support and encouragement.
Keep on here, fella, between us all there’s enough knowledge etc, but you are amongst family, you always have been.
Cheers buddy appreciate that!