• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not a Camp Closure, but visited an old RAF Camp...

C

Comms or Death

In the past week or two i had the pleasure (not) of visiting 14 Sig Regiment at Cawdor Barracks.. The former home of RAF Brawdy... What a dump....

I remember in the anals of history a very good camp that was left to rack and ruin by handing it over to the Army... all i can say its now a dump.... and it can only get worse after seing what is happening at that location...

any comments on other old RAF Camps... ie... RAF Gutersloh, RAF Bruggen.. etc etc

M

mobile muppet

Popped my head in at Javelin Bks (RAF Bruggen) not long back. Did not see too many obvious changes on the main site, although a few of the squaddies said they hate it there and are banned from most of the local drinking holes (how true I dont know). The pan is a parade square and the terminal a gym I was told and the squadron sites across the runway are no more (as is the runway).

Left heavy hearted, but with fond memories.

MM :(

Living in the former RAF Lincolnshire.......Just dont go anywhere near the former RAF Binbrook for all you ex Frightning types, itll just make you cry.......

T

The origional Pob

Anyone been to Brize recently?. Talk about building sites.....ooh our tarmac is a bit bumpy for the poor old noisy things. SOD the lads in the rabbit hutches!. When did the RAF opt out of Investers in People???. :mad:

Driving up t'north the visit me folks the other weekend and as I drove up the A1 I spy a sign for 'Robin Hood Airport'

WTF - I ask?

Turns out its the new name for Finningley!

Maybe Kinloss can be Braveheart International Airport?

Arse!

Marshalloftheraf said:
Driving up t'north the visit me folks the other weekend and as I drove up the A1 I spy a sign for 'Robin Hood Airport'

WTF - I ask?

Turns out its the new name for Finningley!

I was on exercise there back in '99 and the locals (those folk who had brought the cheap officers quarters no doubt) were at gate complaining about the noise 10 minutes after the single Herc on the exercise landed.

Lets home they've fitted some sort of silencer to the engines on those 747 cargo conversions that are using 'Robin Hood International' now days.

C

Cat of Shadows

Javelin Barracks

Javelin Barracks

I was in Germany last week visiting various and to say the least Bruggen is not being well looked after.

A crying shame!!

C

Cat of Shadows

Swinderby

Swinderby

firestorm said:
I passed through the housing estate that used to be Swinderby. Big improvement!
;)

Strangely I have always retained a perverse fondness for Swinderby. I lived at Scampton for a short while a couple of years ago and would pass Swinditz regularly when trying to get back to anywhere with real habitation. Always did get a bit nostalgic..........................the Thor Run, mile and a half BFTs in the middle of a Lincolnshire winter.................joy!!

Cpl Foster and Sgt Wilsons 11Flt forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAF Gutersloh

RAF Gutersloh

I served there for 3 years - probably the best posting I ever had in the Army. I went back for my resettlement briefings after the RAF had left and the Army moved in - what a dump. My room in the Sgts Mess still had my name on the door though, it brought the memories flooding back. They ran the station chief clerk out of the RAF while I was there when they discovered he was gay, things are slightly different now though I guess.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Cat of Shadows said:
Strangely I have always retained a perverse fondness for Swinderby. I lived at Scampton for a short while a couple of years ago and would pass Swinditz regularly when trying to get back to anywhere with real habitation. Always did get a bit nostalgic..........................the Thor Run, mile and a half BFTs in the middle of a Lincolnshire winter.................joy!!

Cpl Foster and Sgt Wilsons 11Flt forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I have been known to get nostalgic for Swinditz. Especially when you see the holiday camp they train recruits at now! It's not the same RAF that I joined (sound of sandbag being filled and light clicking as it swings! Hovis advert music swells up as a tear falls from my eye!)

ROY PERRY FOR EVER!

B

Bushy Mills

Nah, Cpl Gotts and Sgt Drake... Who used to do the old Get some in routine of "Ciggarette for the Cpl"...

Drake got promoted to FS and then busted back for finger poking some recruit in the chest whilst an Air rank was watching... Softy Airforce setting in even then...

matkat

SAC
Went passed "Swinditz"recently Myself very strange experience thinking back all those years(29) brought back a lot of happy(and some not)memories ah the summer of 76 all that heat and that was just the Lincoln Girls.;)

I was on what used to be Laarbruch earlier on this year, hasn't changed that much as you go through the gate, NAAFI building still there with the quarters on the left, but someone's built a huge modern air terminal on the place! Thought about a trip down singlystrasse, but didn't want to bring back to many memories, what a great place that was.:(

C

Cat of Shadows

Anyone seen the state of RAF Wroughton recently? I will never forgive the services for doing away with the finest military hospital in the British armed forces.

The whole place is a right state.

I could never understand the argument that was put up for it's demise either; "all UK military MEDEVACs from operational theatres will come back via a surface move to Hasler".....................WHAT, I thought the idea was to get our boys home quick when they took one for Auntie Bett, ie. the use of height speed and reach for a 4 hour return, not 15 bl***y knots and 3 weeks sailing time because we can't afford the fuel bill..................for crying out loud the hospital had a chuffin' runway capable of taking wide bodies, was there really a choice???

(Apologies to all, I've been waiting 10 years to get that one off my chest, being a local lad and all)

It is very sad though to see the old girl in the state she's been left in and even as prime real estate nothing seems to be going on up there.

Last edited:
P

P-Clip

I'm getting dicked around at a closing RAF camp but things change and life moves on. If Halton and Cosford closed tomorrow theres no way i'm sheading a tear. I can't wait to get away from this dump and I've had a good laugh here for the past few years. As for swinderby thats a dump between Lincoln and Newark that even the trains don't stop at any more.:pDT_Xtremez_03:

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

P-Clip said:
As for swinderby thats a dump between Lincoln and Newark that even the trains don't stop at any more.:pDT_Xtremez_03:

That is because in 1995 it was put up for commercial sale........................

F

fugmeister general

has anybody been back to visit laarbruch recently last time i went the quarters were left to rot and the has sites had tumbleweed and moss everywhere aparantly it is used by a civil airliner for transporting freight now anybody have an update