• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Smoking in Uniform???

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I have received an email today outlining the RAFs plan to implement a new policy as of 1 Jan 15, effectively banning smoking in uniform except in areas within domestic accommodation where designated smoking areas already exist. It has been stated that the plan has been approved at 3* level and details are being finalised. Now I am a reformed/recovering smoker and we are supposed to be "the worst" but I think this new policy is ludicrous. What are others thoughts?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Hasn't that always been the case of no smoking in uniform unless in certain areas? Walking down the drag tabbing away in uniform was always a no no....

Realist78

Master of my destiny
It looks like they want to ban it at work, if so some folks will be climbing the walls until knock off time.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
It looks like they want to ban it at work, if so some folks will be climbing the walls until knock off time.

Can't get do that? Provided there is a designated area outside and away from combustibles surely they can smoke if they choose to? What next, no drinking in uniform at beer calls?

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
No smoking in uniform???
No smoking in uniform???
My uncle was cremated in his uniform, - ha, he got one over on them eh !

briggfairy

Sergeant
Can't get do that? Provided there is a designated area outside and away from combustibles surely they can smoke if they choose to? What next, no drinking in uniform at beer calls?

the problem I see is that beercalls tend to take place out of work hours and smokers take many small breaks throughout the day, something that non-smokers don't get

LilStill

Sergeant
I wonder how long before someone challenges it under Yooman Rights. I smoke, at 0745, 1200-1300 and 1705! If they want to ban it in working hours, fair one - anyone who says smokers get extra breaks has poor line management who need to get a grip of it. Same breaks for everyone - your choice what to do with them.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Hasn't that always been the case of no smoking in uniform unless in certain areas? Walking down the drag tabbing away in uniform was always a no no....

Oh no it wasn't. As sprogs at Bridgnorth we were told when off base to use our left hand for smoking or carrying things so as to leave the right hand free for saluting any officer we might come across. I remember as an SAC at Bruggen standing on the grass on the airfield next to an ATC WO who offered me a ciggy and gave me a light, both of us with our hands in our pockets. Happy days!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Tabbers can only shorten their lives before 0930, then between 12-1230 then after 1500 at my place...of course none of them sneak away around corners and stuff for a sly one...

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Tabbers can only shorten their lives before 0930, then between 12-1230 then after 1500 at my place...of course none of them sneak away around corners and stuff for a sly one...

Word Vim. Folks always need to go to PSF/Stores/Bog etc. Meaningless PC bollocks.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Same as everything else, like being mandated to wear a hat?

Civilians can go for a smoke because they don't wear uniform? Military guys can't?

Ooo, can't wait for the barrack room lawyers to get hold of this one.

Hopefully this new legislation is gen & I can finally get rid of the eyesore that is our building smoking area.

230Tiger

Sergeant
The simple answer is, don't smoke! Dirty tabbers!

I think that companies can now decide if they allow smoking or not on their premises at all. The military has to take into account that some of their staff live within their "premises" and so have to permit some smoking. I genuinely think you would be on very shaky ground to try and argue against it, after all they could then just say "no smoking at all within military establishments" and have done with it.

I've never smoked but have never had a problem with people who do. After all a lot of deals were done by the tabbers when the official channels didn't work

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just a thought.

I wonder if it would ever come to it where we would not recruit smokers any more as well??

That's got some merit IMHO.

LilStill

Sergeant
Well, they've already started to recruit non-drinkers by the sound of it!

Stupid idea. We have schemes to catch people drunk on duty and who take drugs. Other than that, can you do your job & can you pass your fitness test? The RAF can indeed ban smoking on all it's premises but, like it or lump it, someone will manage a successful challenge on it. No smoking in public, in uniform, and no-smoking RAF sites essentially bans smoking - I can't see this standing up to legal challenge!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Stupid idea. We have schemes to catch people drunk on duty and who take drugs. Other than that, can you do your job & can you pass your fitness test? The RAF can indeed ban smoking on all it's premises but, like it or lump it, someone will manage a successful challenge on it. No smoking in public, in uniform, and no-smoking RAF sites essentially bans smoking - I can't see this standing up to legal challenge!

I agree, and think it would be the thin end of the wedge. If you ban smoking say for health reasons, you would then have to look at other health related issues - banning fast food and alcohol would seem to be the next steps...and then where would it end?

It's a lifestyle choice, so if individuals wish to smoke, as long as they can do their duty and don't smoke in front of non-smokers, whats the issue?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

Lots of organisations ban smoking on their premises.

Prisons allow smoking in 'Smoking Designated Cells'.