• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NI on Military Pension or EDP

Captain Kirk

Corporal
The way I understand it, but I’m more than likely wrong…
Your pension or EDP is not going to face NI, but if you have a second income then that will be hit.

AFPS, is that how you read it?

Last edited by a moderator:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Unearned income doesnt attract NI, however if a brand new tax is created it could potentially be applied to anything.

The problem with applying NI to Pensions is the Employer element, you don’t have an employer if you are receiving a pension.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Thanks Busby.
leaving the rich to claim circa £16000 against tax for pension inputs will quite likely be a battleground in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Also with this new tax - if you work past SP age you will pay NI. Previously you didn't.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It would have been better if this had been called a COVID-19 tax, which is what it is.

Political double speak isn’t helping, and dred to think what will happen at the next election

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
The way I understand it, but I’m more than likely wrong…
Your pension or EDP is not going to face NI, but if you have a second income then that will be hit.

AFPS, is that how you read it?
That is not the way I read it ... but I will take another look.

What I hear was that, for the first time, people over state pension age who are still working, will have a small NI type levy on those earnings.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
I’m a fair bit off state pension age, but if I’ve got this right… if I was 67 and working for Blingpalace today, my Blingpalace pay statement would have income tax taken off me, but not NI? Add to that income from my taxed pension which is not subject to NI deductions.
After the new NI rules come in…now I pay NI on the Blingpalace earnings, but again not on my pension?
At the end of the day, theres nothing we can do until the next election, bar a couple of works pension bits and pieces, to take part of the sting out (Telegraph money article yesterday).

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I’m a fair bit off state pension age, but if I’ve got this right… if I was 67 and working for Blingpalace today, my Blingpalace pay statement would have income tax taken off me, but not NI? Add to that income from my taxed pension which is not subject to NI deductions.
After the new NI rules come in…now I pay NI on the Blingpalace earnings, but again not on my pension?
At the end of the day, theres nothing we can do until the next election, bar a couple of works pension bits and pieces, to take part of the sting out (Telegraph money article yesterday).
That is my understanding of the situation (other opinions may vary....).

This may have an impact on the jobs market; I know of people who have worked past SPA but have reduced their hours because they didn't need to work so many to achieve the same (or similar) take home pay and have deferred their state pension. If that take home pay is now going to be reduced again by the 'new' NI levy then they may decide to throw in the towel & retire altogether (thereby saving commuting costs and the other 'trivial' daily expenditures that go along with working) rather than increase their hours again. It will, I suspect, be a matter of personal situation & judgements for the over SPA workforce as to whether this stops them working altogether (creating a job vacancy but also an increased state pension burden) or makes them ramp up their hours again (reducing job availability for others but potentially deferring pension liabilities)

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
You can only do salary sacrifice on certain things (HMRC website should tell you what) and the benefit of salary sacrifice is that it comes from your pay before tax, so lowers your tax bill.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
You can only do salary sacrifice on certain things (HMRC website should tell you what) and the benefit of salary sacrifice is that it comes from your pay before tax, so lowers your tax bill.
I’m only just getting to grips with it, but I’ll be paying both employer and employee NI as well as income tax.
It’s one way to significantly reduce my income for a payback in the near future. Any advice on what to compare to find the sweet spot where sacrificing is at its optimum?

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
As I said, take a look on the HMRC website. Initially, salary sacrifice was for things like a bicycle, a computer and child care but I suspect this might have changed.