• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New uniform

Entropy

Sergeant
They seemed to have it sorted in WW2 with the battle dress, everyone new what branch everyone else was. No need to change the colours, just the material and cut.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I once had an old best blue tailored into a BD style jacket and trousers back in the day when BDs and Thunderbird jackets were both in use,.

It looked really good until the SWO at Leeming took a dislike to it and had me hand the jacket in at clothing stores only for it to re-appear a few days later with WO badges and medal ribbons on.

Allflapnofly

Corporal
Line Swine wearing multiple TLP, Sqn badge adorned green flying jackets (ahem, jackets obviously all legitimately purchased/obtained from various local workwear & military surplus stores).....Never wore service issue headwear (maybe a woolly hat to conceal longer than the norm hair) and flying gloves for touching 'hot n' cold stuff' and certainly no taboo overalls......Just a shirt and No 2 trousers....Oh, and black safety boots.....Then mainly avoiding the SWO and certain 'others' when venturing (duckin' an' a divin') around the unit.....Our Sengo, Wobbly and Flugal Sgts turning a blind eye to our cool looka uz 'fashion statements'.......

WE thought we were absolute fookin 'LUSH'.....Although the RAFP, Shiney types, Raf Regt and those luvverly Wrafs, etc....probably thought otherwise......?

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I once had an old best blue tailored into a BD style jacket and trousers back in the day when BDs and Thunderbird jackets were both in use,.

It looked really good until the SWO at Leeming took a dislike to it and had me hand the jacket in at clothing stores only for it to re-appear a few days later with WO badges and medal ribbons on.
I had too had an old No 1 jacket turned into a BD jacket in '76 - 77, much nicer than a thunderbird jacket..... i kept it until orders came from on high to stop wearing them and as i worked in ESG at Binbrook, which was next to SHQ, being seen wearing it was almost inevitable.

Fastoat

LAC
Damn! Must admit before the IRA got all sniffy in the early eighties about us wearing uniform to go home in. I quite enjoyed heading off over the weekend to Manchester home from Stafford Graveyard in uniform. Especially wearing No1s. Then Paddy O'Flynn decided to up the ante and the Green was in vogue from TSW and Paddy go upset with that too.
In the late 70s, used to turn up at the local working mans club near Oldham on a Friday night straight from my fitters cse at Saints in my number 2s. Had loads of beers bought me! (think the marksmans badge helped!)

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Cargo Pants and Golf Shirts seem to be all the rage now and so easy to use in almost any technical situation - so definitely not suitable for MOD purposes. They are most likely to revive a German style uniform...something like the Brown Shirts I recon - with Johdpurs!

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The MOD and RAF will defo screw it up like the Navy did. Yes you can wear your jersey but you must wear the "jacket" on the outside of it!!! If they can screw up something simple they will, just so somebody can keep themselves in a job re-writing JSPs etc using the excuses: "You're in the military"; "It's smart this with the comfy fleece and tie underneath with creased cargo bottoms"; "It teaches attention to detail putting the creases in at training" blah blah blah...you watch!!!!