• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New rules agreed in F1.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Banning tyre warmers in my opinion is dangerous.
F1 has come a long way since the days of being without tyre warmers.
Also during the next few seasons downforce will be dropped to lower levels. Although slicks are making a return for extra grip due to the lowered downforce you'll still need warm tyres to start with.
DC alluded to this in one of his many interviews this year and he believes its a stupid move.

Ban refuelling????? Thats part and parcel of the race. It adds an unknown element to the strategies for us, although the teams all seem to know who is on what strategy!

Reducing race distance???? WTF?????
We'll end up with F1 being a race to see how far a car can go on a cup of fuel, without wings, with one engineer to push it off, and all teams having identical cars.

Fecking leave it alone you fools!!!!
Didnt they listen to the views of the fans in that poll that ING ran??

G

Geeza

Banning tyre warmers in my opinion is dangerous.
F1 has come a long way since the days of being without tyre warmers.
Also during the next few seasons downforce will be dropped to lower levels. Although slicks are making a return for extra grip due to the lowered downforce you'll still need warm tyres to start with.
DC alluded to this in one of his many interviews this year and he believes its a stupid move.

Ban refuelling????? Thats part and parcel of the race. It adds an unknown element to the strategies for us, although the teams all seem to know who is on what strategy!

Reducing race distance???? WTF?????
We'll end up with F1 being a race to see how far a car can go on a cup of fuel, without wings, with one engineer to push it off, and all teams having identical cars.

Fecking leave it alone you fools!!!!
Didnt they listen to the views of the fans in that poll that ING ran??

I don't think that is an option. Unless costs are significantly reduced the field is in danger of slipping below 20 cars and racing would become nonviable anyway. It has become so expensive to compete in F1 that just to come in and make the numbers up, which a new team would have to do, is beyond the reach of even large companies. All this exacerbated by the current economic climate of course. Max Mosley might be perverted, but he is not stupid, and I well remember him leading F1 out of crisis in 1991 when he took over at FISA from J-M Balestre.

On the point of tyre warmers I think the drivers would quickly adapt to starting without them, and the difference from the spectators point of view would be a less frenzied start with drivers less likely to take chances at the first corner. This may actually lead to fewer first corner pile ups! Anyway, we'll see.

G

grumpyoldb

On the point of tyre warmers I think the drivers would quickly adapt to starting without them, and the difference from the spectators point of view would be a less frenzied start with drivers less likely to take chances at the first corner. This may actually lead to fewer first corner pile ups! Anyway, we'll see.

Just move the starting line to the other side of the first corner! Job sorted.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber

And hence less action at the start.

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Ok so no tyre warmers so far you have all mentioned the start of the race what about when re joining from a tyre chnge when others would have hot/warm tyres and your on cold no grip tyres. As has been said dangerous.

In respect of no refuelling this is not a new idea thinking back was it not Nigel mansell that ran out of fuel on the last lap of a race and was given a lift in by the winner?
Also surely no refuelling will have an effect on the qualifying procedures?

I do not wish to lower the tone of this thread but thinking back on last year certain teams were struggling with refuelling in pit stops so maybe they have asked for the change for refuelling.

G

Geeza

Ok so no tyre warmers so far you have all mentioned the start of the race what about when re joining from a tyre chnge when others would have hot/warm tyres and your on cold no grip tyres. As has been said dangerous.

In respect of no refuelling this is not a new idea thinking back was it not Nigel mansell that ran out of fuel on the last lap of a race and was given a lift in by the winner?

I do not wish to lower the tone of this thread but thinking back on last year certain teams were struggling with refuelling in pit stops so maybe they have asked for the change for refuelling.

It's already hazardous, but without warmers drivers would have to be that little bit more careful than they are already.

G

grumpyoldb

Cold tyres should not be a problem to most drivers. We have seen some very wet races this year and some drivers can still control the car, and some can't.

They are supposed to be at the pinacle of motor sport. Let them earn their money and prove how good they are.

Men from boys stuff!

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Cold tyres should not be a problem to most drivers. We have seen some very wet races this year and some drivers can still control the car, and some can't.

They are supposed to be at the pinacle of motor sport. Let them earn their money and prove how good they are.

Men from boys stuff!

Give them 1000hp, no driver aids, and just for good adrenaline measure, have their feet in front of the steering. Now thats men from boys stuff

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer

Nope it was Senna that ran out of fuel in the 1991 British Grand prix, who was given a lift by the winner...Who happened to be Mansell. As for refuelling racing was better before it was brought back in 1994 in my view (there was a damm sight more overtaking as well, though not a surprise when the cars had wider tires and better aerodynamics which allowed you to get up close to the guy you were trying to overtake).

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No re-fuelling good idea then we may see drivers gaining places by showing greater skill or b@lls and OVERTAKING a rival. Better that than gaining places because your team boss has looked at his laptop and devised a non-overtaking way of getting past the other guy but cute usage of pitstops. Drivers should be encouraged by the rules to move up by driving better not by some guru in the pit lane planning better.

T55

Sergeant
Give them 1000hp, no driver aids, and just for good adrenaline measure, have their feet in front of the steering. Now thats men from boys stuff

Sounds familiar. How about mandatory big taches and brummy accents?

Joking aside, apart from the improved safety of today I far preferred the racing of old.

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I’d like to see manual gearboxes making a return, I realise it’s a step backwards, but a missed gear or changing too late would make for better over taking. It would also reduce the cost of developing boxes to change gears quicker and quicker.

G

Geeza

Yeah, get rid of all the telemetry as well! Stop the race engineers affecting the outcome!

I would however resist the use of customer engines. Otherwise it will become just like the American CART series. Surely they can restrict development costs with tighter specs rather than go for the easier, cruder method of restricting HP in which case you might as well just buy off-the-shelf engines?

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Nope it was Senna that ran out of fuel in the 1991 British Grand prix, who was given a lift by the winner...Who happened to be Mansell. As for refuelling racing was better before it was brought back in 1994 in my view (there was a damm sight more overtaking as well, though not a surprise when the cars had wider tires and better aerodynamics which allowed you to get up close to the guy you were trying to overtake).

Thanks for the correction remembered that mansell was involved.