• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Fines

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
SORRY CJ said:
These are the rules that we have in place so I’m sorry to say GET OVER IT AND CRACK ON (as long as its below 70MPH that is)

You are right but its all an ungodly mess isn't it?

We all know that when you drive at 70mph on a motorway, even allowing for instrument discrepencies, you are going to get passed by more vehicles than you are going to pass yourself. The range of speeds over the limit will vary from just a bit to utterly taking the p1ss and at some arbitrary point along that sliding scale of law breaking the police - the one or two out there - will intervene and cite the offender for, basically, speeding more than everyone else is at that particular moment.
In my very 'umble opinion this is no way to promote road safety and I can't think of any other similar instance in law where lawbreaking is so condoned just because the majorty do it. People should know where they stand and for me it would have been better to have raised the limit to 80mph and then drawn the line in the sand at the point - give or take the margins for speedo error.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
This is true 80 would be good but then the rule benders/snappers come into play. As for the speedo error well that’s another whole load of boll0cks. I have yet to go in a car that says 70 but the actual speed is 78, 10+3... Normally the speedo reads 70 actual speed 65-68MPH.

Rumour has it that the Gov U turned this to keep the female vote......Apparently the ladies don't like the idea of an 80MPH speed target (distance travelled per lipstick application)

Mr SCJ

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
SORRY CJ said:
This is true 80 would be good but then the rule benders/snappers come into play. As for the speedo error well that’s another whole load of boll0cks. I have yet to go in a car that says 70 but the actual speed is 78, 10+3... Normally the speedo reads 70 actual speed 65-68MPH.

I believe, somoene will correct me if I'm wrong, that a speedo cannot by law under-read, the error is always over-reading as you have observed.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Raising the limit to 80 would have been a good point for the police to start enforcing speed limits more stringently. Battle lines are drawn so to speak. I feel quite safe in the knowledge I'm not going to be pulled when passing a marked police car at 80 at the moment. I don't tailgate, undertake, flash people, just drive at a speed appropriate to road conditions

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
just drive at a speed appropriate to road conditions

Hit the nail there.........it maybe only 10mph but how far can a motor go at 70mph? Well about 24 car lengths or 96 mtrs 315 ft.....If its raining you can at least times that by 2.

Remember....."Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule".

Mr SCJ

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Most drivers know the 10% +3 and most drivers stay below this limit and the police don't get involved, if the limits are raised to 80 and you get pulled over for doing 81 on a motorway then you are going to argue with the kindly copper, at the moment he can easily argue that you excessively speeding and justify his argument.

With regards the fines, or are these civil penalties, £100 is a bit steep for a minor transgression for something that will be very subjective in most cases, whilst people who who commit criminal acts have lesser punishments.

As there are few traffic police around this is going to be a bit of a non issue anyway.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
i think most cars under read, if i set my limiter to 50 mph (which i do for average speed cameras) my sta nav reckons im only doing 47/48 mph.

In which case its over-reading isn't it? Assuming your speedo is saying 50 when you set your limiter, if you are only doing 47/48 then the speedo is reading too high - over-reading.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Wonderful window dressing to appease the daily wail reader. Introduce more penalties then reduce police budgets by 20%
Tell me, just who is going to enforce this?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Wonderful window dressing to appease the daily wail reader. Introduce more penalties then reduce police budgets by 20%
Tell me, just who is going to enforce this?

I would echo whats already been said and suggest that it is ultimately unenforceable. In order to do this you would need a significant police presence on Britains motorways - unmarked cars with cameras to capture the offenders on film so as to avoid any challenges to the offence.

If there are no police then it aint going to happen - the only way you could enforce it would be to give the Traffic Agency powers to capture the data to pass onto the police for follow on action, or empower them to prosecute themselves; and there's more chance of my groinal attachment sprouting wings than there is of the Great British public endorsing that....

Its another Coalition Classic - great on paper, but doesn't survive first contact with reality....

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Agreed. It's all horse****.

Were it not, truck drivers would get the same treatment as car drivers already, and they don't, do they?

The new law is hardly enforceable. In my force area in the west mids the road policing numbers have been chopped significantly. For the motorway police traffic enforcement hardly figures, except attending serious accidents. Other than that the main aim is to disrupt criminals travelling the network, steel / cable thieves, drugs, car thieves and organised crime.

Nice new law but no one to do it. Night time there is only 4 cars to cover over 400 miles of roads.

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
The new law is hardly enforceable. In my force area in the west mids the road policing numbers have been chopped significantly. For the motorway police traffic enforcement hardly figures, except attending serious accidents. Other than that the main aim is to disrupt criminals travelling the network, steel / cable thieves, drugs, car thieves and organised crime.

Nice new law but no one to do it. Night time there is only 4 cars to cover over 400 miles of roads.

Marked or unmarked?
All we need then are the reg numbers and all goaters are sorted in West mids.....:pDT_Xtremez_30:
No worries!