• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Falklands medal

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Hearing on the grapevine there might be a Falklands medal for those lucky enough to have spent time on those wonderful islands. Any meat to the rumor?

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Not heard that one.

What would be the point to it though, it's a bit that Petition to get a 'Cold War' medal - if it ever happened the number of people involved would probably use up the defense budget!

Dishing out medals just for the sake of it takes away from medals having to be earned, or is it now attendance that qualifies people for awards...

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hearing on the grapevine there might be a Falklands medal for those lucky enough to have spent time on those wonderful islands. Any meat to the rumor?

Maybe the Argies are planning on having another pop and our MoD are planning ahead with a ready made medal for when we win again.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
It's the long awaited Wider Service Medal, Ben Wallace says he's signed it off, it's been brought in for the Army for deploying to Estonia etc, the RAF will probably use it for Qatar ops and Falklands where there is rigour without the risk. It's on wiki

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Maybe the Argies are planning on having another pop and our MoD are planning ahead with a ready made medal for when we win again.
Only QRA and RRS on permanent standby for combat ops, 365/24/7 during all my tours there. Even with our pared down presence now, I doubt they would fancy their chances.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I'd be surprised if they include the Falklands in it. That said the amount of people who i have come across who have never been is quite a lot. And you get the usual comments its sh*t, my question was always how do you know until you have been. You are basing it on other peoples comments. Don't get me wrong the flight for me is the worst part, i didn't mind it when i was there, always found something to do when on my tours.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I'd be surprised if they include the Falklands in it. That said the amount of people who i have come across who have never been is quite a lot. And you get the usual comments its sh*t, my question was always how do you know until you have been. You are basing it on other peoples comments. Don't get me wrong the flight for me is the worst part, i didn't mind it when i was there, always found something to do when on my tours.
The same used to be said of Honington.

I loved it there and never met anyone that had actually been there that didn't like it.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
what's the difference between sitting in the Falklands and sitting in Estonia? still away for 4-6 months from your life. Seen on X that the Wider Service Medal has been approved and first issue due April 24, Army going for 180 days and back dated to 2018, no list of areas yet, no doubt the DIN will follow soon.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Why would 2018 be the cut-off point? Have the qualifying criteria been officially published anywhere?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Why don't they just give everyone who has served a general service medal for general service only?

That'll provide the medal-less with some visible symbol of service (which is a big bugbear for many within the ex forces community) and solves the criteria problem.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Why don't they just give everyone who has served a general service medal for general service only?

That'll provide the medal-less with some visible symbol of service (which is a big bugbear for many within the ex forces community) and solves the criteria problem.
Great idea, it'll never get off the ground for being to logical. I know guys who have done rather a few FI dets, I take it you get only one, this is the MOD by the way.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts

Doesn’t the good conduct medal sort this out, for most?