• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Energy Saving Bulb Attachments

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
I've just bought my own Gaff in Wootton Bassett and being a new build it has these new energy saving lightbulb fittings which are wider at the neck so you can't fit a standard lamp shade to them. The bulbs are not bayonet nor screw in but instead have pins that simply slot into the fitting. I've never seen these type of bulb attachments before so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where you can buy lampshades that have a bigger mounting hole (around 35mm diameter)

49114.jpg

If any of you DIY types could put me in the right direction its worth a beer or two if we ever meet at a bash.

TVM

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Getting in touch with your "tree-huggy" eco-warrior girly side are you mate???? you sicken me:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Hope this helps!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It's the law

It's the law

The builder have to fit so many energy efficient light fitting to meet building regs.

They are very easy to replace which is what most people do, mine lasted 24 hours, before they were gone.

I believe the bulbs are extortionate and hard to get hold of as nobody is really using them, definately not worth the hassle.

Hope the rest of the house move is going well

... I'm at a bit of a loss as to where you can buy lampshades that have a bigger mounting hole (around 35mm diameter)

That may be the continental size. The cheapest and easiest way round it is to change the bulb holder back to the 'old faithful' Bayonet Cap and use CFL's.

I believe the bulbs are extortionate and hard to get hold of as nobody is really using them, definately not worth the hassle.

They're near enough the same price as normal Compact Fluorescent Lamps (£4.95 as opposed to £3.95).

I think they're brighter than the CFL's however I haven't looked at the figures to back this up. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

www.uklightstore.com sells the CFL's in batches of 10 and the one's that started this thread should be put on hopefully at roughly £49.50 for 10.

G

grumpyoldb

I don't need lampshades for mine............................

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Thats cheap then

Thats cheap then

That may be the continental size. The cheapest and easiest way round it is to change the bulb holder back to the 'old faithful' Bayonet Cap and use CFL's.

They're near enough the same price as normal Compact Fluorescent Lamps (£4.95 as opposed to £3.95).

I think they're brighter than the CFL's however I haven't looked at the figures to back this up. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

www.uklightstore.com sells the CFL's in batches of 10 and the one's that started this thread should be put on hopefully at roughly £49.50 for 10.

I pay no more than a couple of quid form my CFLs and thats for the special ones SES, the normal ones, BC or ES, can be picked up for much less.

I have 31 fittings in my house so these would have cost loads more to buy and replace over a couple of years.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Having also just purchased a brand new house I'm faced with a similar problem of having eco friendly yet odd fitting bulbs. The advice I was given by the site manager was to pop down to IKEA as they sell bits to fit. Perhaps a trip down to old Brizzle town is the way ahead.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I've just bought my own Gaff in Wootton Bassett and being a new build it has these new energy saving lightbulb fittings which are wider at the neck so you can't fit a standard lamp shade to them. The bulbs are not bayonet nor screw in but instead have pins that simply slot into the fitting. I've never seen these type of bulb attachments before so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where you can buy lampshades that have a bigger mounting hole (around 35mm diameter)

49114.jpg

If any of you DIY types could put me in the right direction its worth a beer or two if we ever meet at a bash.

TVM
My youngest has a place in Woodstock with fittings like those, replacement bulbs cost a fortune and as you say most shades don't fit. We found the cheapest option was a trip to Wilko's for half a dozen replacement fittings at about £1:50 each