• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New defence secretary - Michael Fallon

LilStill

Sergeant
Oh look, born 1952 - educated Honours MA Classics nad Ancient History graduating in 1974. Employed at the Conservative Research Department from graduation until election as an MP in 1983. Voted out in 1992, voted back in 1997.

Classics + History + 5 years not employed in the House of Commons = Yet another politician qualified for and experienced in the real world. As difficult as Phillip Hammond was always going to be to follow up (my hatred of polticians aside, Hammond has at least brought Defence spending under control and took us away from being HM Treasury Enemy #1), it would have been nice to see someone even marginally punchy in the job.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It's an election year and defence isn't an election issue and with no flashy wars going on its not really going to attract the best politicians.

Dry your eyes and move on.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Just heard the muppett on 5 live on the way into the office.....
Apparently the new carriers are all down to this government and they're a great show of how we value defence - no mention of Gordon Broon tying them up so tight we'd have paid for them even if we cancelled them, no mention of the flip-flopping over catobar or stovol version of the F35 doubling the cost.
Yes they've got the budget sorted out, but they did it by raping all the services of people and equipment.
He did say that the plans for doubling the reservists is 'on track' and the numbers will be acheieved, i'm sure they will but who knows what year!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All politicians are cnuts full stop. It makes no difference the colour of party of who is in the job. We're fcuked either way.

Old Timer Chris

Corporal
Clearly the right mans be chosen!

Clearly the right mans be chosen!

Perhaps another hatchet man with absolutely no qualifications for the job! Sounds about right!!?

Johned

SAC
New defence secretary - Michael Fallon

According to today's Mail on Sunday he says he may have fired a rifle in his School CCF! It sickens me that this character has never held a proper job. Uni then some sort of political researcher and then levered into a safe seat. The troubling thing is though, is the fact that he is typical of many MPs from all sides, no real experience of life! Doubtless though, a good party man 'nuff said!

According to today's Mail on Sunday he says he may have fired a rifle in his School CCF! It sickens me that this character has never held a proper job. Uni then some sort of political researcher and then levered into a safe seat. The troubling thing is though, is the fact that he is typical of many MPs from all sides, no real experience of life! Doubtless though, a good party man 'nuff said!

IMHO I think to even be considered as a candidate for MP by any party should to be based on two key things:

1. You're approaching your 40s and have a reasonable amount of life experience.

2. You're known and/or you're from the area that you seek to represent.

As for my thoughts to the new Defence Secretary - meh! He's the 11th in my almost 22 years in. Says it all really!

G

Gord

IMHO I think to even be considered as a candidate for MP by any party should to be based on two key things:

1. You're approaching your 40s and have a reasonable amount of life experience.

2. You're known and/or you're from the area that you seek to represent.

As for my thoughts to the new Defence Secretary - meh! He's the 11th in my almost 22 years in. Says it all really!

I think in order to be considered for the position of MP, you should be dead and buried for at least two years. That way there will be no temptation to defraud the public purse with outlandish expense claims since you second home will now be your only home whilst at the same time you will also be unable to make stupid statements and decisions that effect the general public, nor would you be capable of having a say in how to run oganisations that you haven't a f*ckin' clue about.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
You missed out this bit. Fallon is no one dimensional career politician. In a five year spell out of Parliament in the 1990s, he went into business with Duncan Bannatyne, of TV’s ‘Dragon’s Den.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-senior-western-politician.html#ixzz382pP9mqr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I think in order to be considered for the position of MP, you should be dead and buried for at least two years. That way there will be no temptation to defraud the public purse with outlandish expense claims since you second home will now be your only home whilst at the same time you will also be unable to make stupid statements and decisions that effect the general public, nor would you be capable of having a say in how to run oganisations that you haven't a f*ckin' clue about.

Are we to anticipate the return of Thatcher?

Personally, I think that's a rotten idea and there's bound to be a stink about it...