• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Never Forgotten

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Isn't it a pity that nobody knows about these people until it is too late, a couple of people turning up once a week for a couple of hours and maybe taking them out for a pint or two would mean a lot more than two hundred turning up for their funeral.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Isn't it a pity that nobody knows about these people until it is too late, a couple of people turning up once a week for a couple of hours and maybe taking them out for a pint or two would mean a lot more than two hundred turning up for their funeral.

SSAFA offer a visiting service but they have to be informed of people who need it first...I had a lovely lady who would go around people's houses, chat, make brews and get a bit of shopping in which sounds like feck all but if you haven't spoken to another human for a week it means the world.

Perhaps a blanket leaflet drop to all care homes might be a good idea for SSAFA to sweep up the few that are left?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
... snip ...

Perhaps a blanket leaflet drop to all care homes might be a good idea for SSAFA to sweep up the few that are left?
The local social services would also be a possible knowledge base.

I was talking to my lad about this last week and he agreed that it must be great for them to get visitors. He said he was going to approach his Harry Staish about setting up a volunteer visiting team for their local area.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The local social services would also be a possible knowledge base.

I was talking to my lad about this last week and he agreed that it must be great for them to get visitors. He said he was going to approach his Harry Staish about setting up a volunteer visiting team for their local area.

Damn good idea. I am going to steal that one to see what I can get set up with our local Air Cadets

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Wonder when it comes will-reading time if any "distant" relatives suddenly pop up. It would be nice to think that anything he had would go to RAFA rather than the state.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wonder when it comes will-reading time if any "distant" relatives suddenly pop up. It would be nice to think that anything he had would go to RAFA rather than the state.

Mutty, are you a mind reader in your spare time? That's exactly what I thought.

!

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Off Topic It is staggering how many people die intestate, i.e. without leaving a will. A relative of mine used to work for a company that traced relatives in a 'Who Do You Think You Are' type of operation. Once all the legalities had been sorted out they used to claim 15% of any estate, which was nice when the deceased was a little old lady who had a flat in Belgravia.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Well, as you age and if you live alone, the natural disposition is to try and withdraw from society, not re-establish contact with it, I can assure you. People find comfort in their own existence, where and when nothing else is available.

Digzster

Sergeant
Regardless of how it came about, comforting that it is still a fact of Service life that we look after our own.

Thanks to all who participated.