• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MPAR & SJAR gen

just looking for some gen from the knowlegable out thereIs there any official course of action to take if your 1st RO doesnt give out MPARs ?last reporting year no MPAR was given to anyone in our section, when challenged during my SJAR interviewmy 1st RO just said 'i didnt do them so i'll have to take it on the chin' when my SJAR was finalised and i got to see the copy - surprise surprise the SJAR had a tick in the MPAR box and a date that i'd received it.Not happy i went to see my Flt Commander/ 2nd RO and explained my displeasure and showed the fact my 1st RO wascovering up what he's done (or not done) but at the end of the day i have to work for him - so just asked the 2nd RO to makesure the 1st RO did them next year. Now aproaching SJAR time again no MPAR has appeared - but a had a little chat in the office to say MPAR's were written but he lost them.so for the second year running no one in my section has received the mandatory MPARs - and no doubt unless I find an official route of complaint it looks likely that the MPAR box will be ticked again and lazy 1st RO continues to screw everyones career over by sitting on hisarse and not doing whats required of him. Can anyone advise me of a route of action

Last edited:

Oberon305

Chairborne
Well if there is anything derogatory in your SJAR - ask to see the MPAR which should have guided you.

Well if there is anything derogatory in your SJAR - ask to see the MPAR which should have guided you.
I realise I can do that - but at the end of the day he's screwing over everyones career as without guidance we are not fully competative with our peers - and i want an official way to get it recognised and stopped

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
I realise I can do that - but at the end of the day he's screwing over everyones career as without guidance we are not fully competative with our peers - and i want an official way to get it recognised and stopped

You've been given the official way in post#2. The only way to get this stopped is to have your complaint documented and answered formally. Your colleagues might also wish to follow your lead and stick their heads up over the parapet. I would also speak to your WO (if you have one), before you take any action, as I'm sure he'd like to have a word in the shell-like of your 1st RO and ensure he is correctly reported in his SJAR (which should be in draft about now). Any other action is likely to be brushed under the carpet. 'fraid there is no painless way to skin this particular moggy!

just looking for some gen from the knowlegable out thereIs there any official course of action to take if your 1st RO doesnt give out MPARs ?last reporting year no MPAR was given to anyone in our section, when challenged during my SJAR interviewmy 1st RO just said 'i didnt do them so i'll have to take it on the chin' when my SJAR was finalised and i got to see the copy - surprise surprise the SJAR had a tick in the MPAR box and a date that i'd received it.Not happy i went to see my Flt Commander/ 2nd RO and explained my displeasure and showed the fact my 1st RO wascovering up what he's done (or not done) but at the end of the day i have to work for him - so just asked the 2nd RO to makesure the 1st RO did them next year. Now aproaching SJAR time again no MPAR has appeared - but a had a little chat in the office to say MPAR's were written but he lost them.so for the second year running no one in my section has received the mandatory MPARs - and no doubt unless I find an official route of complaint it looks likely that the MPAR box will be ticked again and lazy 1st RO continues to screw everyones career over by sitting on hisarse and not doing whats required of him. Can anyone advise me of a route of action

It's all in the JSP 757, everything you need is in there. IIRC you do not have to have a written MPAR, but it's the easiest way to document/provide evidence of good/bad points in the reporting year, which is why everyone writes it! Hope this helps.

L

Little Tronk

Whilst I am not suggesting that your 1st RO is correct, unless there are any nasty suprises in your SJAR he is NOT screwing over yours or anyone elses career by not giving you a MPAR on a piece of paper.

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Perhaps not but I have told more than 1 of my 1st ro's that I wanted a written MPAR and guess what. This year one of the guys didn't get the assessment he wanted and he has raised a service complaint as there was no MPAR to refer to. As such he felt he had no improvements to make as his assessment the previous year was very good. Not that I expect to get my third anytime soon but I for one would like to think I'd write them not only to help the decent guys do that extra bits and pieces but also to have something the reference for the guys who are about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

wally375

Corporal

Get yourself over to HR (PSF) and speak to SNCO Careers!

L

Little Tronk

Perhaps not but I have told more than 1 of my 1st ro's that I wanted a written MPAR and guess what. This year one of the guys didn't get the assessment he wanted and he has raised a service complaint as there was no MPAR to refer to. As such he felt he had no improvements to make as his assessment the previous year was very good. Not that I expect to get my third anytime soon but I for one would like to think I'd write them not only to help the decent guys do that extra bits and pieces but also to have something the reference for the guys who are about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Quite frankly I am sick of this. What he wants and what he gets are 2 different things for fecks sake; people you do not get what they think they deserve should perhaps take a long hard look at themselves before blaming the 1st RO.

I for one do not wait until the 6 month point to give people 'notes' on how they can improve; there is this thing called Subordinate Development and that is more than an MPAR. For me, if you think you are THAT good then you should know what you need to do.

Subjects need to remember that they only remember 1 year in glorious technicolour and surround sound and forget everything they have done wrong or blame it on some one else. 1st RO's have to remember 4,5, 6 or more years of sh!t and b0ll0cks then try to write something cohesive and honest. IT SUCKS GENTLEMEN!

I had one guy whinge about his, he even gave me sentances to add to 'make him look better'; to humor him and added one then said I would keep it in if he could tell me which 55 characters to remove and it still make sense. Strangely he shut up!

Writing SJARs is a pain in the arse but I am Farly certain (in my experiance anyway) most 1st ROs do their level best to give their guys an honest SJAR that if deserved, will help get them promoted. Whilst MPARs can be an important tool especially if there are contencious(sp) issues need be addressed, they are a minor oart of the process.

Play nice please!

wally375

Corporal
Quite frankly I am sick of this. What he wants and what he gets are 2 different things for fecks sake; people you do not get what they think they deserve should perhaps take a long hard look at themselves before blaming the 1st RO.

I for one do not wait until the 6 month point to give people 'notes' on how they can improve; there is this thing called Subordinate Development and that is more than an MPAR. For me, if you think you are THAT good then you should know what you need to do.

Subjects need to remember that they only remember 1 year in glorious technicolour and surround sound and forget everything they have done wrong or blame it on some one else. 1st RO's have to remember 4,5, 6 or more years of sh!t and b0ll0cks then try to write something cohesive and honest. IT SUCKS GENTLEMEN!

I had one guy whinge about his, he even gave me sentances to add to 'make him look better'; to humor him and added one then said I would keep it in if he could tell me which 55 characters to remove and it still make sense. Strangely he shut up!

Writing SJARs is a pain in the arse but I am Farly certain (in my experiance anyway) most 1st ROs do their level best to give their guys an honest SJAR that if deserved, will help get them promoted. Whilst MPARs can be an important tool especially if there are contencious(sp) issues need be addressed, they are a minor oart of the process.

Play nice please!

Spot on! I'm going to try and spell wa***r down the left hand side of the page this year!!!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
and no doubt unless I find an official route of complaint it looks likely that the MPAR box will be ticked again and lazy 1st RO continues to screw everyones career over by sitting on hisarse and not doing whats required of him. Can anyone advise me of a route of action

You suggest that you are not alone here. If all of you feel strongly, then complain en masse to your 2nd RO (his 1st RO?) who will have to do something. The time to do it is now, because the Sgt appraisals are being written right now!

duffman

Flight Sergeant
Just to back to MPAR, I know about the rules on them but who actually gets one written or verbal? I've never had one or anyone I've worked as had one (that I know of). So how about everyone else?

Realist78

Master of my destiny
To be honest, I only used to give them when the subject needed some direction and to avoid surprises when it came to SJAR time. It's a pity I didn't get one prior to my last SJAR when I got far less than I deserved from my 1st RO who'd only been there for a few months. I argued the point, he changed the report taking out some unsubstantiated crap only for the 2nd RO to do a real hatchet job which was the icing on the cake so I PVRd rather than go back to square one.

BJW

Corporal
Alas I have now entered the realms where I no longer have to write SJARs or MPARs. However, in my last post as a Flt Cdr I did do MPARs for all of my SNCOs and equivalent civvies and I was really anal about them in turn doing them for their guys. One SNCO who didn't bother and lied to me when asked him had it reflected in his SJAR, both for not doing it and for lying to me. Too many people get away with it because they have got spineless ROs themselves who are scared to write anything bad or give a bollocing when one is called for. Sermon Over!

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
If your 1st RO isn't doing them, can I just ask WTF are your 2nd RO and Flt Cdr doing and why aren't they making sure they are being done? Don't just point the cacky finger at the 1st RO, from what i've read your whole command chain is at fault.

I always viewed the MPAR as an integral part of the reporting year and always ensured that they were completed by the 6 month point. Its people's careers that are being dealt with here, Your 1st RO is not only responsible for reporting on you, but also developing you and the MPAR is an important tool for doing that.

I would suggest a trip along to see the Chief Clerk is in order....

Tyson

SAC
16 years in this year, never had one MPAR. Didn't get an assessment at all for last year due to Cottesmore wind down. For this reporting year I've been CMLO'd at Marham Depth till December then posted to Coningsby, couple of weeks leave, couple of weeks rear party, 2 week CIM course, told to take my relocation leave then a 3 month Q which ends in June. Not long to impress to maintain my EXP from my last Cottesmore assessment. Ho hum, I'm sure plenty of others have similar tales of woe.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
If your 1st RO isn't doing them, can I just ask WTF are your 2nd RO and Flt Cdr doing and why aren't they making sure they are being done? Don't just point the cacky finger at the 1st RO, from what i've read your whole command chain is at fault.

I always viewed the MPAR as an integral part of the reporting year and always ensured that they were completed by the 6 month point. Its people's careers that are being dealt with here, Your 1st RO is not only responsible for reporting on you, but also developing you and the MPAR is an important tool for doing that.

I would suggest a trip along to see the Chief Clerk is in order....

Well it's not just for this year it's since I've been in, like Tyson I've never had one. I've never worked anywhere that does MPARs. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, tbh I'm not that bothered whether I have one or not. I was just curious whether anyone anywhere actually used them, it seems some do but looking at the post above I don't think my postings are all unique either. I'll bet loads of people have never had an MPAR. My post was just to see some rough idea of numbers, not to have a pop at anyone. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Last edited: