• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More Ex-Mil Sites being sold off

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Here's a list of 12:

•Kneller Hall in Twickenham
•Claro and Deverell barracks in Ripon
•RAF sites Molesworth and Alconbury in Cambridgeshire, and Mildenhall in Suffolk.
•Lodge Hill in Kent
•Craigiehall in Edinburgh
•HMS Nelson Wardroom in Portsmouth
•Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire
•RAF Barnham in Suffolk
•MOD Feltham in London

Soon to be housing perhaps? Any served at any of these? WTF was at Barham?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...nnounces-release-of-mod-sites-for-development

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Here's a list of 12: •Kneller Hall in Twickenham •Claro and Deverell barracks in Ripon •RAF sites Molesworth and Alconbury in Cambridgeshire, and Mildenhall in Suffolk. •Lodge Hill in Kent •Craigiehall in Edinburgh •HMS Nelson Wardroom in Portsmouth •Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire •RAF Barnham in Suffolk •MOD Feltham in London Soon to be housing perhaps? Any served at any of these? WTF was at Barham? https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defence-minister-mark-lancaster-announces-release-of-mod-sites-for-development
barnham was an overspill of accommodation for honington, just up the road from Thetford. Out of the way from the sh@@thole that was Honington. Also it send to store nuclear bombs back in the day. (50s 60s)

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm not sure what the MOD own of Alconbury, but the airfield is home to a monsterous Logistics hub, used by companies such as Wincanton. Others on the list I have never heard of!

That said, its pretty scandalous that sites like Hullavington have been shut for around 20 years, and yet the MOD have spent money maintaining estates that could have been affordable housing when housing was actually affordable!

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm not sure what the MOD own of Alconbury, but the airfield is home to a monsterous Logistics hub, used by companies such as Wincanton. Others on the list I have never heard of! That said, its pretty scandalous that sites like Hullavington have been shut for around 20 years, and yet the MOD have spent money maintaining estates that could have been affordable housing when housing was actually affordable!
Molesworthe was in the news in the 80s along with Greenham Common, it was the place where all these hippy women gathered to protest against the sighting og cruise missiles at both camps. I'd imagine they could convert the storage sites into affordable housing lol

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Stayed at Barnham when I did my PDT for Afghan.

What an absolute **** hole with a NAAFI that opened twice a week.

Good riddance.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Molesworthe was in the news in the 80s

And in the 30 years since it was in the news, it has been used for what, at what cost to the taxpayer?

Same goes for:

Kneller Hall in Twickenham
Claro and Deverell barracks in Ripon
Lodge Hill in Kent
Craigiehall in Edinburgh

When were they last used 100% for military purposes?

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
it has been used for what, at what cost to the taxpayer?

Same goes for:

Lodge Hill in Kent
Craigiehall in Edinburgh

Kneller Hall in Twickenham - currently used for Army band school (nice building as well - the site, given the location, must be worth a fortune and the Hall itself would make a great hotel or high end apartments)

Claro and Deverell barracks in Ripon - Still in use, earmaked to close in 2017, may be earlier if fast sale agreed I guess

Lodge Hill in Kent - no idea, had developers walk away in 2015 though

Craigiehall in Edinburgh - was HQ Army in Scotland until middle of last year, then shut towards tail end of year , so a good time to sell off I guess.

IIRC the MQ's at Hullavington were in use until a couple of years back and then sold off . Part of the site is now an army camp, which will be staying -. The sale is the airfield, which was still in use last year..

Point being, a number of the sites are still in use or only recently shut down. Not kept for years at massive expense..

Last edited:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm sure the ward room at Nelson is steeped in history but it must cost a fortune to run. Being across the road from the main site means it has to have its own security team as well. I wonder where the officers will go to as the site is getting cramped.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
I'm not sure what the MOD own of Alconbury, but the airfield is home to a monsterous Logistics hub, used by companies such as Wincanton. Others on the list I have never heard of!

The quaters and part of the base buildings were being used by the USAF for a medical unit and moles worth support I believe.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Did a few years as a civvy driver for the Regt at Honnington. Barnham was used by the Training Groups for the Pebble Monkies and I know they were not allowed to dig on the training area at Barnham at all. Something nasty may lie beneath the surface.

Umbo

SAC
And in the 30 years since it was in the news, it has been used for what, at what cost to the taxpayer?

Same goes for:

Lodge Hill in Kent
Craigiehall in Edinburgh

The "storage buildings" at Molesworth had been used to store ozone depleting substances such as 1.1.1 genklene and other nasties until they could dispose of it in an environmentally considerate manner.

Alconbury domestic and non airfield tech site isstill in use by the USAF today. I have fond memories of grappling with Jezzer type protesters, trying to relieve themselves in our T17 fuel tanks when on bolt hole from Wyton in 1985. Supervised and under the direction of MoD Plods of course.

Happy days!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Did a few years as a civvy driver for the Regt at Honnington. Barnham was used by the Training Groups for the Pebble Monkies and I know they were not allowed to dig on the training area at Barnham at all. Something nasty may lie beneath the surface.

There are signs all over, no digging allowed because it is a site used to manufacture mustard Gas in WW2.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
There are signs all over, no digging allowed because it is a site used to manufacture mustard Gas in WW2.

Just what I thought Monty, bit like Portreath then. Not sure how long it takes to make the ground safe but I bet th MOD have done their homework on the site, NOT.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Molesworth . . .
I'd imagine they could convert the storage sites into affordable housing lol

I understand that a couple of these sites have bloody great runways.
~A Fast rail link to London and we've solved Heathrow 3, - no ?