• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mobile hate Calls

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
This was publicised last year on our station intranet, and personnel were advised of the risks of using their own mobiles in theatre. I went to an intelligence gathering brief given by the signals bods from Digby and you will be astonished what they were able to decode & intercept, mainly using equipment that is readily available to the general public in shops such as Tandy, or off the internet. If a state were to throw the might of its espionage agency behind such a cause you cannot begin to imagine the resources which would then become available.

laboratoryqueen

Dr Midget Midgetson
Making these type of calls isn't a new thing, it's been done for some time now. I'm amazed at the details and the amount of information they have when making the calls. And the tactics are astounding.

Calling up as if from a foreign call centre, using the name of a legitimate complany which they represent, going through the normal security checks with you as you'd expect a company to do, seeing as they all do it, and then once you have confirmed you are indeed that person, a recorded message kicks in with some very disturbing messages relayed, maybe now they have a real ******* to give the message so they can gloat at the reaction.

They are a bunch of cowardly cnuts

Mad Pierre

Corporal
But squaddies are fuming as they are only allowed 30 minutes’ call time each week.

30 minutes call time a week would have been considered an absurd luxury in any preceding decade. We used to have to write letters FFS.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
30 minutes call time a week would have been considered an absurd luxury in any preceding decade. We used to have to write letters FFS.

Indeed, i was part of the generation when letters were it ! But since e-mail and e blueys people are getting complacent with "instant" comunication yet again but the norm for our overseas troops is 20 mins. It was supposed to have been changed but i dont know when.....if it has changed already...sorry

It makes no odds it is still too short a time to talk to loved ones...why should a convicted criminal get the same amount of time as a person that is giving their life for this country ?

Wastefull.....Crack on............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Mad Pierre

Corporal
..why should a convicted criminal get the same amount of time as a person that is giving their life for this country ?

Quite.....

Don't get me started on what convicted criminals should get.
Although I can see a use for penal batallions...... ::/:

B

billy bollox

Penal Bats!!

Penal Bats!!

Now there's a thought!!!
The Germans used em very effectively in Russia. Either die fighting and get a reprieve or just die!!! (read author Sven Hassell) Why not, a sort of conscription if you like????

R

rictic

I feel sorry for the modern serviceman. They'll never know he thrill of mail arriving and tearing into a couple of weeks letters that all arrived at once. Now that is one of the real pleasures of life.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
I feel sorry for the modern serviceman. They'll never know he thrill of mail arriving and tearing into a couple of weeks letters that all arrived at once. Now that is one of the real pleasures of life.

I'm guessing it's pretty much the same as finding some mail in your inbox when you log on.

Mad Pierre

Corporal
Off Topic
Now there's a thought!!!
The Germans used em very effectively in Russia. Either die fighting and get a reprieve or just die!!! (read author Sven Hassell) Why not, a sort of conscription if you like????

The Russians used them even more effectively than the Germans, they weren't averse to sending the penal batallion accross a minefield so as not to waste decent troops and armour. Oh and Sven Hassell was a Danish liar and fantasist.... allegedly. :0

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Not being funny but why the fook would you take your mobile to war with you?

Cue Dom Jolly sketch,

Phone rings, HELLO!!! WHAT!!!! NO, I CANT HEAR YOU!!!! I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!!! YEAH, YEAH! I'LL CALL YOU BACK OK?!! WHAAAATTTTT?!!! NAH, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! I'LL CALL YOU BACK!!! BYEEE!!!

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
18 months ago one of my SAC's came to me in Basrah explaining that his Mrs was getting suss phonecalls from some Jingly (Not PC?, boo hoo) after he had called her on his mobile. Its all old hat and like other people have said here "People have been briefed on the risks of mobile phones in theatre", if they coose to ignore the warnings then they take the consequences.

G

gunner j 344

hate calls

hate calls

I hope they ring my wife as she can talk the hind legs off a donkey one call to her and the taliban would switch tactic's:pDT_Xtremez_30:

If the ragheads (I 'm not very pc conscious either) can suss the phone numbers perhaps the NSA should take some time to find where the hate calls originate. The US claims to have this much vaunted communications ident capability so maybe they should use it for the purpose intended and trace the perps. It will give them a break from intercepting foreign confidential commercial information and passing the gen on to US companies.

B

Bill Bones

As above. It's happened numerous times in the past.

Lads should know the risks