• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mess Dress

I

IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT

Ladies and Gents

I'm in the process of transferring from TA to RAuxAF as a Sgt and have a nice woolen red jacket, waistcoat and trousers that I wear to mess functions about three or four times a year.

Do you have the same formal mess system that we have in the army, with the associated dinner nights etc where everyone has to be in mess dress ? If so what is the RAF mess dress like and how much would I expect to pay for one ?

Cheers

Haircut

R

Roc78

Not a SNCO but you will find the Mess having similar nights that require RAF Mess Dress, this is like the Army's, though slightly more convenient, cheaper and you don't need to bull your shoes as they are patent..... downside, is it can look a bit waiter-ish :pDT_Xtremez_21:

Blue high cut jacket, blue waistcoat, white formal shirt, black bow-tie and high waisted blue trousers with black patent leather shoes. Waistcoat can be discarded if you have a formally approved cummerbund. Probably around £300, cheaper if you can get hold of a second hand set, of which there are usually quite few sets around on station...... what with so many leaving :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Cheers

R78

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
Not a SNCO but you will find the Mess having similar nights that require RAF Mess Dress, this is like the Army's, though slightly more convenient, cheaper and you don't need to bull your shoes as they are patent..... downside, is it can look a bit waiter-ish :pDT_Xtremez_21:

Blue high cut jacket, blue waistcoat, white formal shirt, black bow-tie and high waisted blue trousers with black patent leather shoes. Waistcoat can be discarded if you have a formally approved cummerbund. Probably around £300, cheaper if you can get hold of a second hand set, of which there are usually quite few sets around on station...... what with so many leaving :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Cheers

R78

WOs & SNCOs wear cummerbunds as per dress regs, they do not wear waistcoats, that is the domain of the Officers Mess. An alternative to Mess Dress is to wear No1 uniform with white shirt and bow tie. In general RAF WOs & Sgts Messes are less formal than you will have experienced in Army Messes.

shakie

LAC
mess dress

mess dress

WOs & SNCOs wear cummerbunds as per dress regs, they do not wear waistcoats, that is the domain of the Officers Mess. An alternative to Mess Dress is to wear No1 uniform with white shirt and bow tie. In general RAF WOs & Sgts Messes are less formal than you will have experienced in Army Messes.

another down side to wearing No 1 uniform in the mess is that you are not allowed to undo the jacket until you are told you can so can become a bit warm as the night, beer and food take effect.

I

IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

Pity about the waistcoat as I'd prefer that to a cummerbund, but I'll start putting some cash away towards getting one for once the tfr has gone through.

My army mess dress cost me £10 towards the ABF, so can't really complain about that and I'm sure it will be handed on to the next skint person to be promoted for a slightly larger donation.

Oh and apologies for posting this in the Auggies forum originally. I didn't realise this forum was here.

Last edited:
P

PrincessFlouncey

Can i ask how easy it was to transfer from the TA? I am currently thinking about doing the same. I was in the TA (Royal Signals) for 3 and a half years before joining the regular RAF (RAFP) but unfortunately had to leave during trade training due to goings on at home. I immediately rejoined my old TA unit but now after a further 2 years at my unit I think i'd rather be in the RAF reserves.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Before splashing out on a mess uniform it would be worth gauging how often you are likely to use it at your new unit. I've been a SNCO for over 10 years and never had the opportunity to use mine.

Welcome to the RAF.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This is the link to RAF uniforms:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/9645FADA_EE31_9299_8E899FC7FA734D14.pdf

Just scroll down to you get to first of all the chap in no.1's with white shirt and dickie (not reccomended if you are to be a big user of the old folks home socially...scroll further for the 4 blokes in a row with the snco being on the far right...its very understated but can be brightened up with a jolly sqn,wing or station cumberband if the CMC of your mess lets you...

The tailors at Cranwell will sell you a brand new set that fits perfick...one of them (they used to be next to each other on the back of stores) would let you pay for it in instalments of about £50 a month...I think the full price incl. shirt and cumberbund (grey for all occaissions) was £200-250...

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
All the price have gone up since the RAF started giving a £250 grant....... funny old thing that. You'll be looking at about the £400 mark now with some mess dress suppliers.

S

stuby

All the price have gone up since the RAF started giving a £250 grant....... funny old thing that. You'll be looking at about the £400 mark now with some mess dress suppliers.

and as a reservist we're not entitled to the grant. Typical:pDT_Xtremez_25:

s1mtech

SAC
Before splashing out on a mess uniform it would be worth gauging how often you are likely to use it at your new unit. I've been a SNCO for over 10 years and never had the opportunity to use mine.

Welcome to the RAF.

How come? We have a great attendance from all sections at Kinloss.

It has taken a while but even encouraged by sections now.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How come? We have a great attendance from all sections at Kinloss.

It has taken a while but even encouraged by sections now.

Big camps seem to get this...I know the summer balls at ISK are good and here at Waddo they are pretty much booked up to capacity within a couple of days of the list opening and the Christmas draw prizes seem endless...In contrast I had lunch in the OAP home at Sleaford Tech today and they were set up for the valentine Ball...I reckon less than 40 places were set...so smaller or operationally busier camps can be quieter so maybe you would be less inclined to attend...I only attend one a year usually due to childcare and associated costs.

4th_of_foot

Ebay my friend.
I've just bought a full Officer's Mess Kit from there for £36, bargain!

Oberon305

Chairborne
Ebay my friend.
I've just bought a full Officer's Mess Kit from there for £36, bargain!

Exactly, second hand defo the way forward if you were promoted before the issue of grants or not entitled.

As mentioned thouogh, all depends how often you reckon you'll get to use it. If you'll be around for loads, maybe it IS worth splashing out on a new one!