• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mess dress protocols for retired personnel

Tim P

LAC
Been invited to a dining out night. I retired about three years ago. I have ruled out mess dress as a wear option as I no longer serve and have some reservations about the wear of miniatures with civvy dinner kit....
any pointers as to accepted etiquette?

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Been invited to a dining out night. I retired about three years ago. I have ruled out mess dress as a wear option as I no longer serve and have some reservations about the wear of miniatures with civvy dinner kit....
Miniature medals on your right hand lapel mate

T

The Dog's

It may not be official etiquette, but I've seen a lot of miniatures on dinner jackets. I have also seen many retired still wearing mess dress. Best have a quiet word with the CMC/PMC.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Miniature medals on your right hand lapel mate

Why? Thought that was only for those who were wearing their spouses/parents/siblings medals?
At my last unit we had a lot of Dining In/Out nights and some serving personnel who attended wore DJ's, White Shirt and Bow Ties without medals.

Tim P

LAC
Why? Thought that was only for those who were wearing their spouses/parents/siblings medals?
At my last unit we had a lot of Dining In/Out nights and some serving personnel who attended wore DJ's, White Shirt and Bow Ties without medals.

That is certainly what I am anticipating with the mindset that less is more. I do not wish to turn up having made a faux pas. Simply, I want to dress appropriately. Proud though I am of having served I dont want to pitch up like some sad old has been.
Thanks for the input so far.

tag_lincoln

Corporal
Debretts says medals to be worn on left breast of dinner jacket, if invitation does not formally say black tie with decorations then it is the hosts discretion so back to the point of checking with the PMC/CMC. If he is not fussed either way I'd say do what you are comfortable with. You earnt them after all.

Tim P

LAC
thank you all very much. will consider it and ask. Now... where can I get a reggie cummerbund/ waistcoat or is that OTT?????? lol

P

pie sandwich

well if your like me best speak to the squippers and ask for a parachute to make a cummerbund :pDT_Xtremez_14:

medals you have earned go on the left medals from relatives go on the right.

Chilliboy

SAC
On the off chance that you still have one, you are allowed to wear mess dress of the rank you were when you retired.

planesailing

Always a Liney
Mess dress protocols for retired personnel

Hi, wear your mess dress and medals with pride.

The young pups will almost certainly respect you.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek

In the WO's & Sgts Mess serving personnel should only attend Dining In/Out's in Uniform - they are parades FFS, the only normal exception would be a burd serving member who is pregnant who could attend in Civvies with the permission of the CMC . Wearing medals with Civvies is a personal choice - as for Left Lapel/Right Lapel - I thought it was the right in the Sgt's Mess but I'm probably wrong - but I can't speak for the mess that anyone can join straight from school they do their own thing

Last edited:
Tim,

I got out from a Joint Service unit late last year and we ran many functions where ex-serving members attended in dinner jackets whilst we were all nyloned up in mess dress.

I don't recall seeing any of the DJ wearers having medals on. There are a couple of units whose mess dress is DJ and they were complete with medals. I have attended functions as an ex-serving member and I did not wear medals either.

It is a good point previously made that a quick natter with the PMC is the way ahead.

Should you require a Regt cummerbund and bow tie then I am pretty sure the shop at Honington still does them.

Regards

ss

PS I did make an assumption that you wanted a RAF Regt cummerbund. If you want an army type thing then please accept my condolences for making a poor decision at the CIO!

PPS If you are in the army remember to have a shower prior to getting dressed for the function.

Last edited:
E

enginesuck

Call me stupid but what is the difference between a Dining in and Dining out night considering they are held in the mess and both involve eating? And what is a CMC Or PMC ?

Cheers!

Dining in and dining out are formal occasions used to either welcome someone to the mess or say good bye (posting out or leaving the service). Generally in the WOs and Sgts Mess there are not too many dining ins as there are loads of arrivals. Dining out can either be for an individual or on some of the bigger units for several people combined. In addition, Commanding Officers (Stn Cdr etc) are normally dined in/out of the Sgts Mess as well.

PMC=President of the Mess Committee
CMC=Has completely left me in a moment of age related weakness!!!

Regards

ss

PS All of the above varies from unit to unit depending on the number of mess members and local rules/traditions.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I've always worn my medals - You did the deeds so be proud of 'em!
Worn on the Left side.

I

I`m Spartacus

What about the ladies. If wearing a Ball gown but have medals(of their own) can they wear them ?
Gen question for my mum.

chiefy

Corporal
What about the ladies. If wearing a Ball gown but have medals(of their own) can they wear them ?
Gen question for my mum.

If your Mum has spent the obligatory fortune on a ball gown there is no way on God's Earth that she is going to pin her miniature medals through her Gucci frock!

Read this with interest as I'm off to a Summer ball soon and for the first time in a Dinner Suit, my missus will be wearing her Mess Undress (how many comments will I get about that!) for the first time as she feels one of us should be in uniform. Although tempted to wear my miniatures (at least I have a few) I really don't want to be outshone by she who must be obeyed as she outnumbers me two to one and has a couple of bars to match. I may wear them inside my pocket!

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Gen question for my mum.

Is your mum serving?
There's nothing in here RAF Dress Regs, it even covers retired SNCO's and Officers, it seems retired SNCO's and Officers are entitled to wear Mess Dress, with their retired rank, when attending functions in the Mess, but SNCO's wear their rank on the right sleeve only.