• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mess Dress help

I need a new mess dress. Does anyone know of a good place to go in the midlands. I do not want to p*ss around with taking my own measurements and sending them through the internet to mess dress .com or anyone else for that matter only to be sent the wrong gear, in the wrong size and colour.... No I like traditional, you know go to a tailors,get measured by a pro,get it made and then i pick it up.

All help appreciated, funnies read not always replied to:pDT_Xtremez_28:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
You can try these:

IJ Dewhurst Uniforms
Sleaford
NG34 8HB

(01400) 261773

Not sure if they've got a website though

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bang on FOMZ...There used to be two tailors next door to each other on camp on the non-college hall side (forgotten name now!)...I went to one and found out his deal then went to the other and play him off on the other...They also let me pay in 3 instalments to take the heat off the deal...Theie price for the dimply golf ball dress shirts was a good price as well as I found out after trapsing around Grantham for the day shopping around..

P

POB

If you are stuck in the midlands though, the tailors at Cosfrod have been very good with mine. Relatively cheap, and very worthwhile service. They did all my medals very cheaply. (Or maybe they didn't bill me properly, hey ho, it was a good deal anyway!)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you are stuck in the midlands though, the tailors at Cosfrod have been very good with mine. Relatively cheap, and very worthwhile service. They did all my medals very cheaply. (Or maybe they didn't bill me properly, hey ho, it was a good deal anyway!)

The tailor at Uxbridge...at least Dick Turpin wore a mask FFS..

tag_lincoln

Corporal
Snaith's are still at Cranwell (the other tailor mentioned previously). Thye have just beeen moved around the corner into one of the old blocks near the police section. I always got my bits from there. Both tailors quite often have second hand mess kit from peple leaving, being remeasured or failing courses so occassionally there is a real bargain.

Yid

LAC
Mess Dress

Mess Dress

Bought mine from Turner Virr at Cranwell. £200 notes for the Mess Dress and for £250 you receive Cumberband, Tie and Shirt. Phone Number 01400 261773 or e-mail www.turnervirr.co.uk.

Hope this helps.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Why not try the old stand by of the Mess sales and wants book usually a few in there from the de-mob chaps and as POB said the Cosford tailor can alter if it's not exactly your size. Means a trip to main site for you but hey could save you a few bob.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Why not try the old stand by of the Mess sales and wants book usually a few in there from the de-mob chaps and as POB said the Cosford tailor can alter if it's not exactly your size. Means a trip to main site for you but hey could save you a few bob.
Trip to the other side?

That would only be necessary if the skinny fecker ever came into work FFS - anyway the Tailors at Halton used to knock one up (made to measure) while you were on your IMLC if it wasn't finished before you left they sent it in the post

Hu

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well I got mine off E Bay, nearly brand new for £75. £30 tailoring......... £105 total, result :pDT_Xtremez_28:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I got mine for 50 Euros, no tailoring required. Now all I need is the mess membership. Well, it was too good an offer to refuse, even if it was a little premature!

Hi All.

Thanks to all who have replied, eventually I gave up and went to Mess Dress.com having been told by many that they were safe. However, as expected it arrived and ...well, they are now at the Cosford tailors being sorted::/:

Overall I am happy with them, the old man kindly offered to pay:pDT_Xtremez_15: so money was not MY concern :pDT_Xtremez_28: They are good quality came with shirt and tie and the delivery was expedient to say the least!

Now on some other points that have been raised by certain individuals.

1. I am not a skinny fecker, I am an RAF athelete...well I will be when I can find the gym at Cosford. 4 years and still I can't find the bloody place.

2. I see my self more as an ambassador to my place of employment, I do pop in occassionally to ensure things are running smoothly, the rest of the time is spent postively representing the 'other side' in many areas of the main camp (unfortunately not the gym for reasons explained earlier).

3. If my immediate leader and superior being (hairdressing driving top down fanatic) would stop giving me 'girls' work to do, I wouldn't need to visit all the useless desk sitting, telephone weilding, pen pushing ******s on the other side and instead use the time more wisely inventing new and humourous remarks about small willies and the need for some to drive vehicles with no roof to enhance their self esteem.

4. HU please don't shout!!:pDT_Xtremez_08: and how is my 6000 going? :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
3. If my immediate leader and superior being (hairdressing driving top down fanatic) would stop giving me 'girls' work to do, I wouldn't need to visit all the useless desk sitting, telephone weilding, pen pushing ******s on the other side and instead use the time more wisely inventing new and humourous remarks about small willies and the need for some to drive vehicles with no roof to enhance their self esteem.

You carry on like a fekkin girl which is why you keep getting given chick work - When I asked for an Adjt I was hoping for a non smoking chubby strawberry blonde burd not a skinny fekkin bloke who smokes 50 a day FFS - as you are well aware in your case I use the word bloke in the loosest sense of the word

4. HU please don't shout!!:pDT_Xtremez_08: and how is my 6000 going? :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Like I already told you its staying in my bottom drawer till I'm in a really bad mood - the way you're carrying on that won't be long now - and no I don't want you to do me any special favours

::p:

Last edited:

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I know it sounds a bit tight fella, but I suggest is to scoure the second hand shops for the old Mess dress shirts, no wing collars and a golf ball effect down the front. Plenty around as it is almost impossible to not spill a vast ammount of surplus ale and food down your £30:00 jobber without getting the stain out. Welcome to the club and ''Drink Like Helen and Be Merry''

pomp101

LAC
like coohead, i got mine of ebay for £50.00, only needed the trousers taking out a bit at a cost of ....... £2.00 yup two quid! :pDT_Xtremez_30: for tailoring!

however the medals, shoes and shirts soon added up :pDT_Xtremez_21:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Just been doing a bit of digging on this..

SNCO Mess Dress from Messdres.com - £350
SNCO Mess Dress from messkitonline.co.uk - £325

Just been doing a bit of digging on this..

SNCO Mess Dress from Messdres.com - £350
SNCO Mess Dress from messkitonline.co.uk - £325

As I stated when I started this thread, I wanted to go down the traditional route and buy from a tailor who measures you in his shop, I found that unless you want to travel great distances and you are not based Cranwell, it is quite difficult.

So I settled in the end on Messdress .com, all in with shirt and shoes and medals, I paid £416. They are pleasant enough and get the job done but I did have to get a few minor failings sorted by Cosfords excellent tailor.

Mess kit online seemed quite reputable, BUT... you cannot get hold of them!! they do not answer silly items such as telephones and when they do, they get the cleaner or saturday student bin attendent to answer which isn't much help. Having said that, I do know of people who have been very impressed and satisfied with their service, unfortunately I have no patience for incompetent gits on the other end of a telephone or for automated e-mail responses that do not satisfy the question posed.

So,In conclusion, If you want to go down the traditional route book a days leave and travel, alternatively, as HU Jardon stated earlier, wait to see if Halton still provide that service when you go on IMLC. If you want to go down the 'On-line' route, I found Mess Dress .com ticked most of the boxes, but you may need the services of you station tailor once they arrive.

SNCO Mess Dress

SNCO Mess Dress

I have been to cranwell this week, Turner and Virr charge £250 incl cummerbund, dickie bow and shirt - but dont have any in stock for around 12 weeks !

Snaithes have got loads in stock, they charge £285 inclusive of shirt tie and cummerbund and they take around 2 weeks.

If your "not a stock size" they will do a made to measure for £350 not inc extras as previously mentioned. This takes around 6-8 weeks.

Failing that, i have mine for sale (too big for me) 46" jacket 38" trousers + cummerbund
in v good condition only worn 6 times open to sensible offers over £150(cottesmore area)

Last edited: