• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medical History...

8eardy

LAC
Evening all...
I’m at the very start of my application to join, due to have the initial presentation next month, but I think my past medical history may prevent me from joining. There was no mention of it on the recruitment site...
I was diagnosed with PTSD 5 years ago after working for the Ambulance Service in Scotland, not exactly sure why as I’ve done 9 years in total and seen all kinds of things...anyway, my question is will this past diagnoses prevent me from entering? I’ve asked the recruitment website and they said they couldn’t tell me as they aren’t medical personnel, fair enough, but I’d rather not waste my time and the RAF’s if I go through the initial phase only to be told that my medical history is a big no no. Can anyone shed any light?
Thanks for reading.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Mate,
People can and will tell you all sorts of things both on-line and in person - but there is only one way of getting a definite answer. go through with the application and take the final response.

My advice to you is to go through the process - but try not to hang your hat on the job until youre through it. You may get through or not - but if you don’t ask the question you will never know.

Best of Luck to you
Rigga

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Have a read of this, mental health can be an issue due to the potential impact in the future, not only on your ability to do the role but also on the RAF making your condition worse.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1652/medical-conditions-that-preclude-entry.pdf

You’ll probably find that in this day and age, GDPR and all that, only a medical professional can make the call so you might not get an answer until you have a medical. If you have a mental illness then joining the military probably isn’t the best career pathway for you.

In my time the biggest failure rate, after the test, was medical issues, sometimes for reasons candidates couldn’t understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
To be honest, this is the sort of information you should be able to get from the AFCO - I believe they have a list of medical issues that stop people joining up. Forget the website, you need to speak to an AFCO.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The AFCO aren't medical professionals and cannot comment on medical conditions.

Apply, see what the medical kicks up, and then appeal if appropriate.

You will not get a black and white answer until you try.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
The AFCO aren't medical professionals and cannot comment on medical conditions.

True, but they're not diagnosing medical conditions, they're passing judgement on whether or not a medical condition meets the service requirements for entry. In this case, the medical condition is already known and has been declared - and I'm afraid PTSD will stop you joining the RAF.

According to the RAF, PTSD is listed as a psychiatric condition that precludes military service. The document in question can be found HERE. It's not been updated in a few years, but I would assume that the list is still extant.

The OP could always take the list to an AFCO to check it's still relevant, but with something like PTSD it's unlikely to have changed.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There are so many variables they cannot say. That list is a general guide and I’ve seen conditions on that list overturned on appeal when the specific details are looked at by the DOM. Additionally some trades will take a medically lowered MES as they are desperate for people.

The only way to know for certain is to apply.