• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medical & Capita

Tally80

LAC
Yep another medical question and enquiry....
got my medical date through - 16th and having read all the reports and experiences with medicals and capita I'm after a rundown of how they actually conduct it and what is done?

i have previous service and this now seems to be done differently..... Can anyone advise or brief me?

many thanks in advance.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Be as conservative with distant conditions as your conscience and fading memory will allow.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It wasn't always thus, and it doesn't apply when attested, but those conditions don't apply when getting past an office intent on making money, and everyone knows their game.

Tally80

LAC
Here we go...... On the way for my medical and to meet the much loathed CAPITA Doctors...... STANDBY for an update!! Oh and wish me luck my A hole is twitching ten to the dozen!!

Tally80

LAC
DEFERRED!!!! High BP my f'ing arse!! Never had high BP in my entire life!! Checked it some 8seconds after having me do press ups star jumps etc...
oh and she couldn't test my colour vision because she didn't have the correct test so will have to refer me to RAF for them to test it?? WTF?!?! Then I told her I was colourblind she said: "oh right how badly cos they don't accept colourblind level CP4 into regiment?" REALLY?? Cos it says everywhere else they do??? Anyone shed light on that??
1 to CAPITA 0 to ME!!!

Mag2grid

Corporal
You got the same treatment as me, they'll have you hooked up to a 24 hr ABPM to get it confirmed your heart is alright.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Mine has always been a bit high, but they just made me lie down for 20 minutes until it went down enough to pass - but that was in the med centre (and earlier in OASC).

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
DEFERRED!!!! High BP my f'ing arse!! Never had high BP in my entire life!! Checked it some 8seconds after having me do press ups star jumps etc...
oh and she couldn't test my colour vision because she didn't have the correct test so will have to refer me to RAF for them to test it?? WTF?!?! Then I told her I was colourblind she said: "oh right how badly cos they don't accept colourblind level CP4 into regiment?" REALLY?? Cos it says everywhere else they do??? Anyone shed light on that??
1 to CAPITA 0 to ME!!!

Try not to let it/them get to you. What you've described is what's known as 'the white coat syndrome', and means that people tend to get tense in the presence of clinicians and therefore their B/P goes up a bit, leading to a nice little earner for Capita. I'd say ask your GP to put you on ramipril for a while, which would open up the heart chambers a bit, sending the blood through quicker and reducing your B/P, but I don't think having that on your medical record this early in life would do you any good whatever. Meditation's good - and farting in Capita's general direction.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There was a dirge of high BP amongst aircrew at Waddo in 09/10. Many had to do the 24 hr test which isn't easy when trying to sleep...I think it transpired the cuff on the machine was either a dud or being incorrectly fitted/too small!

gray

Sergeant
They should take it at least twice, with no talking, or distractions.... according to the nurse at my last medical, the 1st is always higher due to nerves et

oneiron

LAC
They should take it at least twice, with no talking, or distractions.... according to the nurse at my last medical, the 1st is always higher due to nerves et

Ive just had my medical , also deferred for high blood pressure after 3 attempts my lowest reading was 143/90. I have since visited my GP and tested 132/80 followed by 3 successive 120/80 in the BP machine in the reception area.
As the Capita GP had constantly distracted me during the BPT no suprise my BP was high ,Id also question the integrity of his equipment now due to the results from GP surgery.
His scales also had me 5kg lighter than my best measurement on my works scales (which are calibrated).
Given the importance of this medical you'd think the Capita equipment would be a little more accurate. But then again I suppose it works in their favour if it isnt.
Also, even though I managed to pass the hearing test , with the headphones fitted I could clearly hear external noises such as the building work in progress in the corridor and also the doctor repeatedly left and entered the door next to the test station.
So I now have to wait for the results of 24hr blood presssure test, persuade my GP to send them the details of this test and details of my fractured arm from 40 years ago ( can someone please explain the relevance of this to me!!) should they even exist. To do this Capita will need to settle the GP's invoice for this service before any records are divulged. Then I can re-sit my medical.does anyone have any ideas how long this will take? To be honest I am getting very frustrated at the length of time this is all taking and considering knocking my application on the head for the reserves.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Ive just had my medical , also deferred for high blood pressure after 3 attempts my lowest reading was 143/90. I have since visited my GP and tested 132/80 followed by 3 successive 120/80 in the BP machine in the reception area.
As the Capita GP had constantly distracted me during the BPT no suprise my BP was high ,Id also question the integrity of his equipment now due to the results from GP surgery.
His scales also had me 5kg lighter than my best measurement on my works scales (which are calibrated).
Given the importance of this medical you'd think the Capita equipment would be a little more accurate. But then again I suppose it works in their favour if it isnt.
Also, even though I managed to pass the hearing test , with the headphones fitted I could clearly hear external noises such as the building work in progress in the corridor and also the doctor repeatedly left and entered the door next to the test station.
So I now have to wait for the results of 24hr blood presssure test, persuade my GP to send them the details of this test and details of my fractured arm from 40 years ago ( can someone please explain the relevance of this to me!!) should they even exist. To do this Capita will need to settle the GP's invoice for this service before any records are divulged. Then I can re-sit my medical.does anyone have any ideas how long this will take? To be honest I am getting very frustrated at the length of time this is all taking and considering knocking my application on the head for the reserves.

Out of interest which Capita clinic did you go to?

from the 24 hour monitoring to me getting a third medical was 8 weeks.

i felt the same as you, not sure if you have had exposure to military life but the wheels can move very slowly at times.

oneiron

LAC
Out of interest which Capita clinic did you go to?

from the 24 hour monitoring to me getting a third medical was 8 weeks.

i felt the same as you, not sure if you have had exposure to military life but the wheels can move very slowly at times.

it was in Birmingham - my squadron advised me to write a letter of complaint and I have complied as its not on really, dont know why medicals are not performed by RAF medics they surely must have a better understanding of what is required medically and have not interest in deferring candidates unless its actually required and not for financial gain.

Mag2grid

Corporal
it was in Birmingham - my squadron advised me to write a letter of complaint and I have complied as its not on really, dont know why medicals are not performed by RAF medics they surely must have a better understanding of what is required medically and have not interest in deferring candidates unless its actually required and not for financial gain.

If you have a look at most posts you'll see the issues I had with my medical and how the system works with regards to Capita getting paid.

Remember Capita aren't paid to pass candidates, but rather carry out the entry medical.

Harby1

LAC
Similar experience here too. C(r)apita Dr wrote to my GP to confirm 2 simple questions about historic issues (c.20yrs ago) on my med records. Luckily my GP turned this round very quickly for me after a couple of chasers.

I'm back there again tomorrow for a "limited medical" appointment to "prepare a medical report" which I really hope is just an admin exercise and he'll just put a tick in the box. Wouldn't surprise me if he's on double bubble for tomorrow either.

Been in this process 12m now since filling out my app form. Still got the PJFT to go (Fri hopefully depending on the above otherwise it all gets knocked on the head till May). So close but so far it's starting to get a tad tedious now...I'll be claiming a pension + free bus pass before long.

Last edited:
MSL Forms

MSL Forms

Hi everyone,

Unsure if this is the correct thread, however, I've recently attended my P2 presentation and I've been told I now have to wait until the medical forms are cleared until I can book my filter interview, MSL I believe?

Are these being sent to Cranwell? How long can I expect to wait?

Thanks

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi CC,

Welcome to E Goat.

I am sure that some wisened Goater will be able to answer your questions.

All the best and good luck.

TW