• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medical assessment after aptitude tests?

Good morning all,

I’m considering joining the RAF Reserves and I’m looking for confirmation of something that the RAF Careers helpline told me that didn’t sound right.

The advisor told me that candidates are medically assessed after both attending a Squadron open day and sitting an aptitude test. This worries me because when I was younger I went through this process for the Army, only to be rejected due to a pre-existing medical condition.

Does the fact that the medical come at the end of the process mean that, if you’re suitable in all other respects, you can get some leeway on the medical requirements?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Depending on what you get rejected for medically there is an appeals process.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I would imagine that the medical is conducted last because it involves an additional cost (they're farmed out to civvy doctors) - no point paying for you to have a medical if you can't pass the aptitude test or don't fancy the job after doing a station visit.

As for leeway, I doubt it - when I joined the regulars many years ago, my aptitude test scores meant that I could apply for any trade. But after the medical revealed I was colourblind, this list was dramatically shortened and my primary choice of trade was removed as an option.

Of course, that was back in the day when the RAF actually had manpower. Depending on your choice of trade and your pre-existing condition, you may well get leniency (unless it's a terminal disease, they're not likely to overlook that).

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Rather than go through the bits and pieces prior to a medical assessment and being rejected; personally I’d advise you to write in to the Dept of Occupational Medicine at RAF Cranwell as an enquirer. Give them the full details of your medical condition with as much information as possible and they can give you a definitive answer as to whether or not you meet the entry standards.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Lets not forget here the OP is going for the reserves, so if he passes an AST, they'll wave pretty much any medical condition!

I would imagine that the medical is conducted last because it involves an additional cost (they're farmed out to civvy doctors) - no point paying for you to have a medical if you can't pass the aptitude test or don't fancy the job after doing a station visit.

As for leeway, I doubt it - when I joined the regulars many years ago, my aptitude test scores meant that I could apply for any trade. But after the medical revealed I was colourblind, this list was dramatically shortened and my primary choice of trade was removed as an option.

Of course, that was back in the day when the RAF actually had manpower. Depending on your choice of trade and your pre-existing condition, you may well get leniency (unless it's a terminal disease, they're not likely to overlook that).

Here's hoping, Witty!