• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medal Mounting

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Any Goaters based at Honington know of anyone on Camp who medal mounts on a sideline. Failing that would the Tailor do it for an Ex-Serviceman. This is for a mate in Thetford.

Cheers fellas

I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but failing a response from anyone else, I'd recommend www.messdress.com. I've had my medals court mounted through them a couple of times and been impressed with the quality and turn-around times. Pretty good price too. (The tailor here is awful, and has ruined a few of our lad's medal mounting jobs).

Last edited:

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Thanks for the reply fella. There was always someone on Station who made a packet out of doing them. Got mine done overnight at Colt many years ago, by a C/T who tok great pride in doing them. Pity not many people about with the same passion.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ady Eflog of E-Goat fame does fantastic medal mounting.

Might be worth giving him a shout before you hand over cash to a company.

exraf

LAC
Cheers Monty and where are you exraf, any chance in the Norfolk area

I am on Anglesey in North Wales. My wife has been doing medal mounting for a number of years now. If you still want a quote I could get her to do it to include postage and packaging, bearing in mind she will use Registered Post or Recorded Delivery so they will be covered by the Post Office Insurance.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
ExRAF, it's for an EX-Pongo at work. He has 6:
1. GSM + Air Ops Irag (Bar)
2. Cyprus
3. LSGCM
4. Queens Jub Medal
5. Afghan
6. IRAQ + Rosette

I think he has the first 4 in order as stated but the last 2 are loose.

I will have to see if he is happy to send them away, think he wants to get them done locally but if your wife could give me a price I will pass it on.

Cheers

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I am on Anglesey in North Wales. My wife has been doing medal mounting for a number of years now. If you still want a quote I could get her to do it to include postage and packaging, bearing in mind she will use Registered Post or Recorded Delivery so they will be covered by the Post Office Insurance.

To get the PO to cough up in case of mishap and more importantly to prevent any mishap in the first place, you'd need to use Special Delivery. Better safe than sorry...

exraf

LAC
ExRAF, it's for an EX-Pongo at work. He has 6:
1. GSM + Air Ops Irag (Bar)
2. Cyprus
3. LSGCM
4. Queens Jub Medal
5. Afghan
6. IRAQ + Rosette

I think he has the first 4 in order as stated but the last 2 are loose.

I will have to see if he is happy to send them away, think he wants to get them done locally but if your wife could give me a price I will pass it on.

Cheers

It is £6 per medal and have just checked Royal Mail Special Delivery and the prices are:

[TABLE="class: page-block table-smalltext, width: 624"]
[TR]
[TD] Weight not over[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Stamps/Smartstamp[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Compensation for loss or damage[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Up to £50 [/TD]
[TD]Up to £1,000[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]100g[/TH]
[TD]£18.18[/TD]
[TD]£20.38[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]500g[/TH]
[TD]£20.52[/TD]
[TD]£22.72[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
She would also need to know in what order the campaign medals were awarded as the QJM & Long Gong are the last two. Just out of curiosity does the IRAQ medal have a bar with it as well denoting the dates as the rosette is for attaching to the ribbons on the jacket?

If he is interested I can PM you my wife's Mobile Number and he can chat to her direct.

exraf

LAC
Sorry the 'Compensation for loss or damage' should be above 'Up To £50' which in turn should be above '£18.18' and 'Up to £1000' should be above '£22.72'. Hope that clears it up a bit. I tried to copy and paste from website.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the gen, I will ask him in work tomorrow.

I do medal mounting out of Wittering, I know its a bit of a journey but I charge £5 a medal, I cover Marham,Wittering,Coningsby and Waddo. Mess Dress are cheap but be prepared to send them back if your not happy they can be sloppy. They are quick and cheap for a reason. Also be aware their miniature medals are shorter than regs state!