• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medal mounting - vastly different pricing!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Hey all,

I am looking to get 8 minatures court-mounted (ordinary medals, no MBE's etc; yet!) I have had one quote from Mess Dress.com for £51, 1 @ McKays for £104 and 1 @ Windsor medals for £90 - all for the same order.

I have never used messdress.com, but McKays did my full size and the work was very good, wrt Windsor medals, there are a lot of positive reviews.

Anyone have any horror stories/recommendations i should or shouldn't go with?!

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
I got mine done at the mess dress. I dropped mine and a mates off got them back with in a week. They will change all the ribbons regardless of condition. I know some places don't. Medals polished. They also came back decently packaged not in a envelope like a mate got from some where else. Defo worth it.

LAC
I have had full size and miniatures done at the mess dress. Never any problems and generally a 24-48hr turnaround. No complaints at all.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Ady Eflog on here runs his own side line in this respect. He regularly posts his efforts up on Bacefook and his work is of the very best quality.

Digzster

Sergeant
Over the years, I have always used Messdress and never once had a problem (4 times now). The are always able to help with any questions as well. Fast,efficient and good quality work.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Always use Mess Dress. The quality of workmanship is second to none and they are reasonably priced. Started using them in 2000 for court mounting and never use anyone else now.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Ta all. I have been informed that the price differences are due to some using glue and staples to hold it all together while another may sew everything together.

Still undecided, pay cheap and in a few years it may fall apart, or pay a bit more and it may last longer.

Good to hear that messdress is recommended though.

PS Does eflog have a price list anywhere? (linky thing to his bookface?)

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I had mine done by Snaiths once - absolutely appalying. Shoddy workmanship with dried glue showing.

I now use Worcester medals. Quite pricey but - IMHO - worth the extra expense. Not only is the quality extremely; but, they know their stuff relating to medals. For instance, they knew that RAF dress regs state that the maximum width of medal brooches is 5 medals any more than that and the medals overlap. The Army's regs allow for more and I've seen a number of RAF blokes with 6 or more medals mounted the army way.