• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Med pension or pvr

I have the option to either pvr or take a med pension.

ive sent for a forecast for the Med pension but doubt anything will come back.

Whats the odds a med pension is less than a normal pension considering I'm at 29 year point.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Whats the odds a med pension is less than a normal pension considering I'm at 29 year point.

Hi,

Some questions.

Which pension scheme are you on? I am guessing AFPS 75?

Is your condition caused by service and if so do you have conclusive proof?

If I remember the rules correctly and you are on AFPS 75, your conditions are proven to be caused and/or aggravated by service and you are awarded a med pension, you will receive 29/22'nds of your pension dependent upon rank.

This will be called a Service Invaliding Pension (SIP). It is taxable but it is index linked.

If you subsequently apply for and are successfully awarded a War Pension (under the AFPS 75 rule) of above 20%, Your SIP will become a Servicing Attributable Pension. This means you get another small pot of cash every week and the SAP will become non taxable.

I think your best bet is the Forces Pension Society in your case because I don't know about pensions after PVR.

TW

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT

If you are an FPS member David Marsh and Anthony Henderson will be pleased to go through the facts and figures with you but here is a little info relating to AFPS 75 that might help with your initial decision.

- the pension would not be reduced if you were to PVR. Even for officers, by the time they have served 29 yrs the compulsory rate and the PVR rate are the same;

- the invaliding rate is always more than the 'normal' rate; and

- if you are invalided your pension is index linked to CPI straight away (you normally have to wait until age 55).

The issue about attributable benefits has been touched on - if AFCS awards a GIP for the same condition as caused the invaliding, the GIPS is adjusted to take account of the pension but the pension becomes tax free.

I have cancer which could have been caused from working in radar but hard to prove really
I'm in the 75 scheme

the cancer I. It's self doesn't effect me in any physical way but hard to get a job when leaving I'm sure.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sorry to hear that you are suffering.

What information have you been given by the admin and medical bods at your unit?

Have they discussed with you in detail about the options you have presented in your original post?

Have they put you in touch with people who can help and assist you when you have left the RAF?

Have they discussed ANYTHING with you?

TW

I have a special sort of get out of jail free card which means I can leave the Raf on a 48 hour medical discharge. As for finding how much I would get to the medical discharge the type of leukaemia I have doesn't come under any of their tiers or anything so it's impossible to work out anything whatsoever

i've even tried the pension society and to be honest with you they have no idea

as long as it's the same at least as a normal pension I'm happy.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have a special sort of get out of jail free card which means I can leave the Raf on a 48 hour medical discharge. As for finding how much I would get to the medical discharge the type of leukaemia I have doesn't come under any of their tiers or anything so it's impossible to work out anything whatsoever

i've even tried the pension society and to be honest with you they have no idea

as long as it's the same at least as a normal pension I'm happy.

To be honest, you have been failed miserably by the people who have employed you for 29 years.

The way that the RAF administrates personnel who are unlucky enough to be injured or ill during service is quite frankly, a f#cking disgrace.

You have an illness and need to be focussed on making your future as comfortable as possible. Uniformed staff should be sorting the rest out for you, not letting you run around trying to do it.

Get the boxing gloves on and start demanding conclusive answers from the people in charge. and by that I mean OC Admin or whatever they are called now and if necessary, go directly to the Staish himself

I would also suggest that you get in touch with the RBL for starters. They are very experienced when it comes to things like this.

I'm watching this very closely, so keep informing the Goat of your progress.

Best Wishes,

TW

You are right I do feel there is little support.

Harsh to say but if you loose a limb for example the compensation is very easy to work out.

I have luckemia from working on extremely high power radars in the good old days when health and Safety didn't really exist. To prove the RAF is a fault is going to be hard and if you look at the tiers for med discharge it doesn't appear. The best answer I've had from the pensions people is " you won't know what you will get until you leave "
I also believe that to get additional pension you need to be assessed at over 20% disability. Something easy to judge if your missing limbs etc. my disease makes me tired on so many days of the week to a point I can't stay awake. Dies that count for 20% or higher or zero they won't say lol.

All all a joke really but not for myself and family.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You are right I do feel there is little support.

Harsh to say but if you loose a limb for example the compensation is very easy to work out.

I have luckemia from working on extremely high power radars in the good old days when health and Safety didn't really exist. To prove the RAF is a fault is going to be hard and if you look at the tiers for med discharge it doesn't appear. The best answer I've had from the pensions people is " you won't know what you will get until you leave "
I also believe that to get additional pension you need to be assessed at over 20% disability. Something easy to judge if your missing limbs etc. my disease makes me tired on so many days of the week to a point I can't stay awake. Dies that count for 20% or higher or zero they won't say lol.

All all a joke really but not for myself and family.

Sorry to say this, but you need to be careful that the RAF do not screw you over. This "48 hour med discharge" thing sounds dodgy as hell to me.

You need sound advice from people in the know and you need it fast.

Take my word for it, once you have handed in your ID card and the Gates have shut behind you, you are 100% on your own. There is no further support from the RAF who really don't care when you are off the payroll.

You need to get everything in place while you are still in uniform and you are still the responsibility of the RAF.

Get in touch with the RBL, SSAFA Forces Help and the RAF Benevolent fund and do it tomorrow, for the sake of yourself and your family.

TW

Thanks for the advice. The idea of the 48 hr discharge is that it saves time and I don't need to go through another 18 month med board. The idea being if I start to feel ill I can just leave as they already proved I'm not well.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Get all the advice you can and certainly don't rush into anything.

Don't forget you cannot commute a medical pension.

There are some great tax advantages if you get your SIP covered to a SAP.

You'll be assessed for your war pension after you leave by ATOS or whoever replaces them, it's important to let them know what you cannot do and what impact doing normal things have on your health, ie yes I can walk 100 but then I'll have to sit down for half an hour or ill be in pain most of the way.

If you leave and get a war pension you should get priority medical treatment and free prescriptions.

There's many things to consider with plenty of pros and cons on either side.

If I were you unless an other employment opportunity comes along I would keep collecting the Queens shilling as long as possible.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Get all the advice you can and certainly don't rush into anything.

100% spot on Busby!

Loadmastersrock,

Here are some useful links

https://www.ssafa.org.uk/how-we-help/forcesline/

http://www.rafbf.org/

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/helpline

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

They may be able to help you get the most out of your time in a blue suit before you make any decisions on what to do next.

Get onto them asap :pDT_Xtremez_18::pDT_Xtremez_18:

TW

Thank you all for the sound advice which is more than I've received from the RAF etc.

i agree that that I could stay in and take the wage but there comes a point when you don't get any job satisfaction and it effects you in other ways. My job was to fly and flying the mahogany bomber is soul destroying not to mention the loss if flying pay and promotion prospects.

Im not rushing this and will keep you up to date.

Thanks

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thank you all for the sound advice which is more than I've received from the RAF etc.

There is a lot of good advice on e-goat and there are folk on here who have experienced first hand what you are having to face.

i agree that that I could stay in and take the wage but there comes a point when you don't get any job satisfaction and it effects you in other ways.

Entirely understandable, but at least while you are still in a blue suit, you are much better off when it comes to planning your exit and you still have that network of blue suited colleagues behind the wire. Once you are outside of the wire, that network drops off exponentially.

My job was to fly and flying the mahogany bomber is soul destroying not to mention the loss if flying pay and promotion prospects.

But you also have your health to think about. As has already been said, you have time to get everything in place before you choose to leave and Best of British to you!

Im not rushing this and will keep you up to date.

Thanks

Standing by! :pDT_Xtremez_18::pDT_Xtremez_18:

TW