• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mandatory High Ropes for leaders

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They're talking about this over on PPRuNE. Personally I thing somebody is authoring a massive wind-up but other than that I shan't comment because I'm pretty sure you'll all have enough to say about it on my behalf...:pDT_Xtremez_34:

So if you don't paas the high ropes course, what could happen? What if you get vertigo and don't want to do it?

Is vertigo a chargeable offence?

Sounds like a wind up to me!

TW

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
It's more likely to be annual Force Development than annual High Ropes I'd have thought.

Jaymac

Sergeant
From Wiki:
Usually participants must sign a waiver before being allowed to participate on the course, because of the high risk of injury. Some participants may have a hard time completing the course due to its height and the physical challenge. Courses usually range from 25 feet through 50 feet tall, though some elements can reach upwards of 150 feet plus (as in the redwoods and some jungle courses). In order to climb up onto the course participants usually must climb, such as by using a cargo net or Jacob's Ladder, which could be made of rope, or an artificial climbing wall.

Tell them to stick the waiver up their hoop. I always did when it came to obtaining the "safe to climb" certificate.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Absolute bawbags! I'm a high ropes instructor and the aim of the game isn't to get everyone up highropes testing how great they are at it and making the ones who are supposed to lead... lead better! It is to get people to push their own personal boundaries... to gel together as a team and learn to communicate better irrespective of their rank or standing. Yes it's great to do it on FD days but you cant force people to climb up a bloody pole on a yearly basis (or infact at any time) if they are simply too scared to. Sounds like scare mongering to me. As to justifying the PTI's existance that is a lame comment as I actually do not know any PTI's that are instructors as the courses are open to any rank any trade and it's a civvy qual (well depending on which course you get onto).

A

amfortas

When I was King o'de Universe at Honington, back in the '70s when the Buccs were there, my name was being mentioned as the next O/i/c the Rugger Club, but being well into my thirties I was getting past it on the beer drinking front, and I thought the thugs and pi$$'eads (bless 'em) deserved a better leader. So I 'invented' a new club to be Oic.

I 'suggested' to Harry Staish that I start an Assault Course Club, as we had three such torture places just a few miles north in the Thetford MTA. I invited the Yanks from Lakenheath and Mildenhall to join in.

Every wednesday we would take a three tonner and cars and rovers with upwards of twenty or thirty able bodies and go run the courses. One was the 'Up in the Trees' frightener. I was great fun and really testing. Apart from the physical strain of holding, climbing, balancing etc, with fingers, arms, legs and feet turning slowly into jelly, the tests of courage involved were a great challenge to everyone. But we had NO accidents, We had NO failures to eventually complete the course (OK, some people needed several goes to get all the way).

There must still be a few mad barstewars around that 'Elf 'n' Safety miss.