• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking for a new car+ expecting a miracle

Entropy

Sergeant
My old banger is about to go beyond economic repair so I am thinking about a new toy. I do 18,000 miles PA and need room to move wife + 2 kids, findning my Golf a little small. Price is in the 2 grand area.

My current line of thinking is something on the lines of a petrol 1.8 Focus on a 54 plate but open to suggestions. All ideas welcome apart from divorce/patio extension.

Plus is there any benefit in diesel any more due to the price difference?

miniboo

SAC
Secondhand I think there is still benefit to diesels. The extra coat a the pump is negated by the better fuel economy.

A focus is no bigger than a golf really. Unless you are looking at an estate version.

Having said that about diesels, for 2k you may struggle to get a decent age and size diesel car

Haven't been much help really!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

G

gemarriott

I'm going back to the Golf after 3 years with a Focus. I have a 1.6 zetec and I have hated it from the first trip I ever did on a motorway. Road noise is horrendous, it is shabby, uncomfortable and expensive to run 33 to the gallon according to the onboard computer. As for space it is no better than the golf. The radio is ****, the cup holders are in the wrong place, wrong size and if you use the armrest you can't use them. There are no cup holders in the back so kids do what kids do and the car ends up like a **** tip.

To make it even worse the handbrake is positioned so badly that if you use the armrest you need to be a contortionist to use it even then you get RSI and end up having an operation.

To sum it up the Focus is a fcuking bad joke at best!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
At 18k PA i would be looking at a diesel as oppose to petrol. But for £2k you are taking your chances - decent car or lemon?!

Is there anway you could up your budget a little? I just let my 2006 2.2 diesel Titanium X Mondeo with 74k on the clock go for £3k.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
To be honest...seriously stick with what you know.....Go for a Golf or at a stretch a Passat oil burners.

Mr SCJ

miniboo

SAC
I didn't say earlier but I have VW's and will be sticking with them for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
I've a Citroen C4 diesel
60+ to the gallon 4 doors and plenty of room inside
Worth a look
I trawled all over before getting it
Better than a focus and VW's seem to hold there price really high.

E

enginesuck

I have a Saab 93 2.0t on a 55 plate 40k miles gadgets galore for £2500 great car but now i work away we don't need a commuter, ive had it since April and id love to keep it but its too big for the mrs and wee uns for their twice weekly 6 mile journey to the supermarket ! FSH and i changed the oil 4k after the last stamp in the book 04/12 (as i do with all my cars) maybe a bit on the thirsty side 37 mpg combined.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I've a Citroen C4 diesel
60+ to the gallon 4 doors and plenty of room inside
Worth a look
I trawled all over before getting it
Better than a focus and VW's seem to hold there price really high.
If that is the one with the 1600 16 valve turbo engine I would get rid asap. The engine has a terrible reputation for the turbos letting go and wrecking the engine. These engines are also fitted to Fords, Peugeots & BMWs (including the Mini).

topstop

Corporal
Skoda Octavia, Golf mechanicals and the size of a Passat but cheaper to run.

03 Top of the range 07 cooking £2k

Last edited:

Major Geek

Sergeant
I've got a 'fully loaded' 60 plate Diesel Focus. Value for money and around 60 MPG on an A road 25,000 miles a year commute. Just the job for me. Oh and heated windscreens are ace!

Kingpin

SAC
Got a 55 plate Mazda 3 1.6 diesel that will be up for sale in the new year. It will have a full years MOT and is currently on 80k miles approx.

G

gemarriott

I've got a 'fully loaded' 60 plate Diesel Focus. Value for money and around 60 MPG on an A road 25,000 miles a year commute. Just the job for me. Oh and heated windscreens are ace!

I have to agree on the windshields, they are a boon even though the cars themselves are fcuking sh1te

Entropy

Sergeant
Mrs Ent has agreed that £2000 will not buy much at all so looking at a max of £4000. Problem that I have had is that I have been lucky as I bought a 96 Golf deisel for £600 2 1/2 years ago and all it has needed was a new clutch and a
rear shock following this years MOT. I think she was expecting the same when I said I needed a new car.

Going to start looking next week but would like a bit more space. Are the later models of Golf larger than the MK3?

Cheers
Ent

G

gemarriott

The later model is a lot bigger mate. I found my Mk5 felt bigger than the current focus (spit) that I drive.

Entropy

Sergeant
We took a slightly different tack. We had an early MX5 requiring a new engine that had been sitting on the drive for 5 years waiting for me to get round to either fixing it or scrapping it.

I had a think about it and looking at the VIN realised that it was an early and pretty much original version (2 months after production started). We decided to keep it and replace the engine plus quite a bit of other work. So now I spend most mornings and afternoons fooling around with a topless 23 yr old!

I drive 18K miles a year so I have the Golf and MX5 on a multi car insurance. I don't expect the Golf to get through the next MOT in July so I am thinking of a Range Rover P38 Diesel as the main family transport. Yyou can get these tricked out with leather and air con for a few grand. I have until the summer so watching and playing the waiting game.