• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

linkedin veterans survey

briggfairy

Sergeant
I saw a link on facetube for a survey aimed at people who have left the RAF within the last 8 years with the questions focusing on what it would take to make you re-join, i.e returning at a higher rank for more money with less postings if you've gained useful qualifications since you've left.

The survey was produced by cranfield uni and look pretty pukka.

Just how much straw clutching is going on? have the powers that be realised that they've cocked up big style or is this a move to a long term strategy to essentially have uniformed civilians in certain roles?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
If it were possible to go back in as a divvy that might be a useful occupation for some ex-RAF techies. But I think they want people to go in as full-time reservists.
I don't know much about FTRs, but having tasted (what i see as) the good life outside it would amaze me that people would want to go back into military servitude again...just my opinion.

briggfairy

Sergeant
I totally agree, why anyone that has had a sniff of freedom and being able to tell someone to ram it would want to re-join is beyond me.

It would just be like moving onto a different job rather than being in the military, is that conducive to overseas operations?

dessp2

SAC
Wow, I meet ex Army blokes who claim to be one of the 650 blokes who seem to think they were on the Iranian embassy bancoly during the hostage situation back in the day. Are there any ex Techies who are actually proud of being in the RAF?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Wow, I meet ex Army blokes who claim to be one of the 650 blokes who seem to think they were on the Iranian embassy bancoly during the hostage situation back in the day. Are there any ex Techies who are actually proud of being in the RAF?

It's not a case of not being proud of being in the aRaf.. it's a case of not wanting to go back.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm intensely proud of my RAF service and reflect warmly on those years but there is no way I would re-enlist. Offer me the chance to crank it up 2 ranks and put me on double money still wouldn't cut it. Those halcyon days have gone and the current creaking shell of the RAF I once knew attracts me not at all.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I too am very happy to have served, there were good times and bad. For me the RAF's downturn started around 1992 and never recovered. When I left last year it has just turned into a culture of retarded management speak, targets and the idiocy of diversity and making sure all the LGBTQI*** crap was covered. Would I go back.......no.

dessp2

SAC
It's not a case of not being proud of being in the aRaf.. it's a case of not wanting to go back.

Fair one Fomz, I must have read into it the wrong way. I am sure most techie types are now very successful on the outside as a direct result of the skill set they picked up whilst serving. In terms of going back in, I am aware that the RAF does seem to be faced with various challenges at the moment. I am very happy with my lot at the moment on the outside, but if mother RAF needed me I would be back in like a shot.

dessp2

SAC
I too am very happy to have served, there were good times and bad. For me the RAF's downturn started around 1992 and never recovered. When I left last year it has just turned into a culture of retarded management speak, targets and the idiocy of diversity and making sure all the LGBTQI*** crap was covered. Would I go back.......no.

Was that not you who I seen walking into Lincoln AFCO last week Ninj?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Fair one Fomz, I must have read into it the wrong way. I am sure most techie types are now very successful on the outside as a direct result of the skill set they picked up whilst serving. In terms of going back in, I am aware that the RAF does seem to be faced with various challenges at the moment. I am very happy with my lot at the moment on the outside, but if mother RAF needed me I would be back in like a shot.

Define 'needed'

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Reading through the previous posts it seems that the RAF are putting more effort into looking good for the benefit of minority groups rather than being good at the defence of the country.

Puma

SAC
Reading through the previous posts it seems that the RAF are putting more effort into looking good for the benefit of minority groups rather than being good at the defence of the country.

To be fair with the loss of "Crown Immunity" the RAF has to abide all the same laws any civvie company does with regards to minority groups.

As for defence, we do what we can with what is left.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Dear Recruitment/Re-enlistment/Retention Team/Consultancy,
Up yer hoop.
Yours very very sincerely.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
It's a no from me as well. The 28 years were fun to start with but as they say 'its not the RAF i joined' and, in my opinion, it will never recover from the downward spirral the MOD started with redundencies a few years back and are now regreting their actions by dangling a rather tastless carrot.

insty66

Corporal
All these posts and no link to the survey?

I'd love to read the questions :pDT_Xtremez_07::pDT_Xtremez_21: