• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lightnings and so on

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
In the old Safety Equipment training bay on the Airfield at Cosford was a picture, quite a famous one for which nobody knew the details. I've been told it was George Aird and that he survived (how ?) but know nothing else other than he was 111 Sqdn at some time.

Can anyone please fill in the blanks ?

Attachments

• George Aird escapes , Sgt PTI looks on aghast1962.jpg
    George Aird escapes , Sgt PTI looks on aghast1962.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
P

pie sandwich

Dunno what happened but the farmer said

"Ooo arrrrr, that feckerr has wrecked moy field, an I just ploughed it":pDT_Xtremez_14:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Dunno what happened but the farmer said

"Ooo arrrrr, that feckerr has wrecked moy field, an I just ploughed it":pDT_Xtremez_14:

Farmer would be rubbing his hands together for a huge payout by MOD......land unusable for several years...

Crack on...................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
That photo was the subject of a thread over on Pprune not so long ago. (Sorry- haven't quite mastered doing link thingys)

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Aircraft was doing AAM Trials at Hatfield (Can't remember if it was Firestreak or Red Top). Both missiles being developed at DH Propellers Manor road site at Hatfield. Afterburner fire if memory serves, and the aircraft's controls burnT though as Aird was doing an emergency approch into Hatfield. A local rag cameraman just happened to catch the ejection. Aird landed on the greenhouse, breaking a few windows. I also do seem to recall reading that a Bucc doing Martel trials at Hatfield also crashed into the same greenhouses a few years later.

Last edited:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Farmer would be rubbing his hands together for a huge payout by MOD......land unusable for several years...

Crack on...................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

I thought it looked more like the guy is cutting the airfield back.... thinking "to the left, to the left, er indoors won't even see it comin' !" :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Cracking photo

brings a whole new meaning to 'ploughing in'. I thank you

CoD has got his coat and left the building