• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lets just treat people, like people.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Have we all become incapable of treating people…… like people? Why do we now have to consider their gender, their colour or their sexual orientation before we can effectively manage, mentor or develop them?

There is currently a news article on the defence intranet homepage that has finally triggered me to start this post. The title of the article is “Minister for the Armed Forces sets out her personal commitment to Diversity and Inclusion for Defence”

The article has several links and one of them is her action plan. The new Minister’s opening line is “I am proud to be the first woman appointed to the role of Minister of State for the Armed Forces.” What difference does she feel it makes to be a woman in that role? That is like saying I’m proud to have a belly button. In the grand scheme of things its irrelevent (until of course you try to make it relevant by bringing it up at every given opportunity). I’d like to think she got the job because she is capable and qualified, but sorry, now that she has played the gender card I can’t help but think she got the job because she’s female, because hey, why else would you make a song and dance about it in your action plan?

There is also a table called the “Diversity Dashboard for UK Regular Forces. This details the percentages of females, religion, ethnic backgrounds and age. I think more is made of this information than there actually is. I really don’t care that women make up 13.8% of the RAF. What does that prove? I’m fairly sure I saw the same TV adverts and was given the same opportunity to visit an AFCO and sit my interviews and attend basic and trade training as my male counterparts. Maybe just fewer women want to join up? Why does that need to be an issue?

The reason this has been playing on my mind recently is I have been added to a facebook group called The Female Development Programme. The group’s members are all females serving in the RAF (with possibly some veterans). It is ran/moderated by a serving Female Sqn Ldr and the focus of the page is to gather opinions and encourage discussion and also to promote female development.

Maybe I am being naïve but I honestly don’t see the need for need for females to be “developed” in a different or separate way to males. Can you imagine the outrage if there were a Male Development Programme?

Furthermore I found details of this conference on the Facebook page:

http://www.opportunities4women.co.uk/opportunities-4-women.html

I believe the conference is sponsored by the RAF and has 30 places available for RAF females.

The webpage states that:

Opportunities 4 Women offers a high-quality career development training that will provide the space, structure and provocation to evolve meaningful action plans. The aim is that attendees take lessons learned back to the workplace to form a tangible, proactive and positive impact on the careers of talented women. Aimed at mid-level women.

Newsflash people in charge, I don’t want to be treated any different to my male counterparts and by doing so you have already blown your own “equality and inclusion” ethos out of the water.

OK now that I've covered gender, let me start on sexual orientation. My Station Moss page has just advertised the Royal Air Force Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender (LGBT) Freedom Network. Apparently this has been set up to provide subject matter expertise to Policy Staff and the Chain of Command and represents the diverse needs of the LGBT community.

In a workplace setting or more specifically “our workplace setting”, what diverse need does a gay man have that differs to my needs? Again am I being naïve, is there something I’m missing?

It further states that it offers, support, networking opportunities as well as personal and professional development opportunities for LGBT personnel. Surely we should be offering that support and those opportunities to everyone?

Anyway that’s my little rant for the day

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Good post there Sniffer, I agree with your sentiment in that people seem to be more interested these days in what you are, rather than who you are.

I have a diversity and inclusivity objective on my annual report and for the life of me I am not sure what exactly I am supposed to do.....

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I think so long as everyone is aware that everyone is different but they should be treated the same we won't go too far wrong.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Equality and diversity these days is all targeted around equality of outcomes rather than equality of treatment. Treating all the same may result in unequal outcomes that may impact on disadvantaged groups, therefore, to ensure that outcomes are more equal certain groups may be provided with additional support.

Not saying I agree with it, just thought I'd help explain it.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I like you, understand it, but dont agree with it.

To give a very simple example: 6 fit healthy SACs should all be able to cover their fair share of Guard Duties after all they all get paid the same. But no, one of them is a single mother and cannot get childcare. Is it fair or "equal" that the other 5 have to pick up the slack?

Sport

Sport

Maybe one of these times where Sport actually does it mostly right.

If you are the best player for that position you play. Doesn't matter if you are black/white/gay/alien etc etc

No need to mention the SA cricket team - we all know this doesnt apply in every case.

Well said Sniffer. I think every minority group is wrong.

MOBO awards - is there a MOWO awards? Course not.

Association of black policemen - my God if there was a white one can you imagine the uproar?

Gay pride - can the rest go on a hetrosexual march?

You get my drift. I think every 'minority' group is wrong.

Just get on with it and stop bleating.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Of course not, but these days 'diversity' simply means 'giving minorities preferential treatment'.

I like you, understand it, but dont agree with it.

To give a very simple example: 6 fit healthy SACs should all be able to cover their fair share of Guard Duties after all they all get paid the same. But no, one of them is a single mother and cannot get childcare. Is it fair or "equal" that the other 5 have to pick up the slack?

When a mum returns from maternity leave she signs to say she aware that she will have to fulfil her normal duties and confirms she can fulfil them. If she can't do guard then she can't fulfil her duties, your bosses should speak to P1, to start disciplinary proceedings. It's is unfair on the other 5 sac's, your boss must take this into account, there are managing the whole section not only 1 single mum.
My station is currently going through the proc to discharge one person because of a similar situation.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
When a mum returns from maternity leave she signs to say she aware that she will have to fulfil her normal duties and confirms she can fulfil them. If she can't do guard then she can't fulfil her duties, your bosses should speak to P1, to start disciplinary proceedings. It's is unfair on the other 5 sac's, your boss must take this into account, there are managing the whole section not only 1 single mum.
My station is currently going through the proc to discharge one person because of a similar situation.

That scenario is what used to be termed as "Admin Burden" and often led to the person being discharged.

4everAD

Sergeant
Playing Devil's Advocate:Is it fair or reasonable to expect a single parent to find child care to cover a week of guard nights, the cost and availability of childcare must be a nightmare in that scenario, could you move them to guard days? Would you move a single parent from being a shift worker to a day worker to make childcare easier? I assume all these options are explored before looking to discharge individuals. what about a married service person who loses their wife/husband/partner do we discharge them if they can't organise/afford childcare now they're a single parent?

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Of course you wouldn't purposely put someone with childcare needs on nights, but if the need is there then so be it. Having a child is a life choice and you can have a pretty good expectation of what is required from you by the RAF before you make that life choice. I made a choice not to have kids, is it therefore fair or reasonable to expect me to pick up all the nigh guards for my section? I know it sounds harsh, but there are plenty of jobs on civvy street where you arent required to do any more than your 9-5.

I'm probably going to get stoned for this, but unless you have a good support network around you, being a single parent and being in the RAF might not be so compatible. Dont get me wrong I'm not saying go back to the days where women got the boot once they were up the duff as there are some absolutely fantastic people out there who have and do make some pretty horrendous sacrifices to get the job done and pull their weight.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Lots of minority groups at my workplace. Ive yet to find the "married with kids hetrosexual white middle-aged bloke" group though.

Personally, I don't (and never have) care what people get up to in their spare time when it comes to sexual orientation. They have 16 hours a day to be or do whatever they want to be and as long as its not illegal, then it is of no concern to me. At work, we are all employees of the company that pay us. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm probably going to get stoned for this, but unless you have a good support network around you, being a single parent and being in the RAF might not be so compatible. Dont get me wrong I'm not saying go back to the days where women got the boot once they were up the duff as there are some absolutely fantastic people out there who have and do make some pretty horrendous sacrifices to get the job done and pull their weight.

In all walks of life, there are some single mothers who play the "Woe is me" card, and others whom you wouldn't even know had a child, such is their performance at work. I've had both work for me in the RAF, and the relief when the former is finally moved on from your section is immense.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Probably worth remembering that if the military does not remain flexible with the needs of it's personnel, it will lose those personnel.

I joined up with the intent of getting out there and seeing the world (pffft! wrong service for that) and had no qualms about fulfilling duties as and when required, any time of year. I've worked Xmas Day and NYE more times than not, usually on a 12 or 14 hour shift.

Now that I have kids, and they're getting to the important stages of their school life, THEY take priority in my life, not the military (the RAF had it's turn already).

Thing is, I'm more than aware that, should my boss wish to be a d!ck, I could be forced to work when it was not suitable to my family commitments. However, if it comes to a situation where I am forced to choose between the needs of my family and the needs of the Service, I will leave the RAF. It's that simple really. If I can no longer commit to the needs of the service contract I will put in my notice and find another job. Because that's what's best for my family. I would imagine that any single parent, who finds the relationship with their child is suffering due to service life, would come to the same conclusion.

With this in mind, a certain amount of flexibilty within the workplace can help to avoid the loss of manpower, which - given the recent struggle to recruit in some trades - would definitely place an additional 'admin burden' on the section.

Which is all besides the point, to be honest. If the single parent is good at their job and is a team player, then their team should do what's right and support them with such a simple gesture.

Lots of minority groups at my workplace. Ive yet to find the "married with kids hetrosexual white middle-aged bloke" group though.

Personally, I don't (and never have) care what people get up to in their spare time when it comes to sexual orientation. They have 16 hours a day to be or do whatever they want to be and as long as its not illegal, then it is of no concern to me. At work, we are all employees of the company that pay us. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am up for that - put me down as 'Ents Rep'

Next event sitting aorund drinking beer and whinging about all of the minority groups........