• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lean at Lyneham

Lean at Lyneham

• Yes

Votes: 43 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
A

A CLING NERD SHRON

If all these stations are reverting back to their original engineering status does that mean a certain Gp Capt will be reverting back to her old rank? She messed up so should be punished.

F

fugmeister general

be serious they look after their own!!!!!!!!!!! they are the rafia after all

Line35

LAC
...There is nothing wrong with Lean at Lyneham!

...There is nothing wrong with Lean at Lyneham!

.....So sayeth the 2* at Strike when asked by some wag if the Lean at Strike (not before time) is the same process carried out by the same consultants who did the Leaning of Lyneham.

0 to 50,000 feet in 2 micro seconds flat ! I have never seen an Air Vice Marshal move so quick. He then proceded to lambast the questioner about how great Lean was at Lyneham, when it suddenly occurred to him that he may have overacted a tadge. Hit a nerve or what!

LEAN IS GREAT - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Well?

Well?

First day back for a while - and this threads gone cold.

What's the verdict?

Is LEAN On or Off?

...Reports by Stations would do.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
I can tell you that lean's a load of bo**ocks that's pi$$ed a lot of people off. Glad to be getting away from it all in the not to distant future.

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Qa?

Qa?

Don't say that!
QA is my Job on the Outside, and very good it is too!
Good QA can help you - if you let it.
Dont get confused with Quality Control.

Yandards

LAC
Well my first post on here and this seems like an appropritate topic!!

I was at Lyneham whilst it was still A line and B line and during the initially proposed 24/30 47/70 Sqdn idea. The original idea when the lines were split due to J/K fleets was that the flying squadrons and the eng squadrons would merge; this obviously died a death for no good reason.

As for Lyneham being the only unit to work this way 10/101, now 101 at Brize is also an Eng squadron but the big difference is that the aircrew are still in the same building.

As for lean I have been on the receiving end at Brize and I will say that it has been a complete cluster from the word go.

After wasting countless man hours moving things around and making new toolboards etc up we are now back to almost where we were at the start of the leaning process - in fact it is exactly what we said to begin with to make the bay more efficient. So in sum total we have moved the toolkit from one side of the firelane to the other and dragged the C stores closer to the working area; all in all about a days work.

In contrast the LEAN team supplemented by 4 guys from a total of 26 spent nearly 3 months faffing around and causing hassle. They have consistantly insisted that we can work in a car production line type environment and we have consistantly shown that despite working on the same component no job is the same. They also binned a lot of C stores that are now 'no item record' and as such very difficult to replace.

The picture I get from chatting to people on the rest of unit is that LEAN have managed to f**k everybody up and make things a lot harder; this is on top of the bolthole to Fairford.

What really annoys me id that some baffon actually thought this was a good idea; to me LEAN has simply been a tidying up exercise with accountability and a paper trail. Given the time and money this is something that could easily be achieved by sections/squadrons on their own without spending countless thousands on an external contracter. A lot of the principles of LEAN are ingrainded into the technical environment at trade training, tool tagging and control, cleaning up after yourself, etc etc.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Lyneham has now returned to the J/K split. The new line names? 24/30 Eng and 47/LXX Eng. Give it a couple more years and we may see the re-emergence of A Line & B Line.:pDT_Xtremez_14:
Funny old thing with tool stores, now we need one for each line, all the tools which were surplus to requirements and recomended kept in lacons in case they were ever needed again after the HLS/FLECS debacle but OC Eng said to scrap (another one of her bright ideas) now have to be replaced. The budget? £40K. The quality? $hite.
Still I suppose it's lean.:pDT_Xtremez_21:

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Any news of Odihams plight?

Or any other Station's ongoing bouts with LEAN?

mightyhunter

Sergeant
left Kin a few years back. we have centralised maintenance there (with 4 flying sqns) and had 4 shift- 6on 6off shift pattern. worked brilliantly. worked hard, played hard and good amount of standdown. jet would come on to the pan and we would debrief there and then. good rapour with the growbags. even better on det.
went back recently for a social visit. due to redundancies and chuffin' LEAN: the line lost an entire shift; went to a crap days, evenings, nights shift rota that doesn't work; and most important of the banter... sorry, morale, has seemed to have been sucked out the place!!!!
the old normans were a piece of pi$$ to work, but there's no way would i go back there.
my opinion of LEAN?.......... 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!'
i wonder....... how many orifices got promoted from leading LEAN teams?

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Hunter.
This wouldn't be the same half arsed shift pattern that was tried out at Lyneham a few years back and found out to be almost as big a pile of poo as lean?
If so then I can tell you from my own horrible experience it doesn't chuffin' work!!::/:

Yandards

LAC
That shift pattern at Lyneham was a bag of sh1te. Still makes me chuckle at the roasting the then OC Eng got in A line's crew room, when he came over to talk at us rather than to us.

That and one of the painter SNEC's from the primary team walking out saying, 'I don't know what they are all moaning about it's not that bad' Mind you he was that grumpy **** who issued the cold weather gear.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Yandards said:
That shift pattern at Lyneham was a bag of sh1te. Still makes me chuckle at the roasting the then OC Eng got in A line's crew room, when he came over to talk at us rather than to us.

He didn't have a foreign surname did he? ie From across the English Channel?:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
What's happened to the LEAN team at Lyneham!!!!
So LEAN they don't answer their phone on the 1 occasion you need to speak to them!

:pDT_Xtremez_42: