• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lean at Lyneham

Lean at Lyneham

• Yes

Votes: 43 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Wg Cdr ComfeyChair-Smyth

*****istrator
As far as I can see, the only thing lean, now is me - as I now have to walk to a different hangar to get tools to do a job in the hangar where the tool store was originally located.

M

mobile muppet

Will do some of you teccies some good that exercice.. :D

Only kidding, guessing it wont be long until the lean machine hits the lyneham logistics fraternity..

MM

M

MiniG

Lean.

Is it any good?

Or......

Is it just somewhere to put all your sick, severly wounded, non deployable, promotion seekers?

:eek:

sumps

Sergeant
You have a point Mini G...on my last medical I was told that I had a hearing problem that would need a real Doc to sort out... :confused: However he still wouldn't down grade me (as he had to my FS & CT) so I ended up going to Basra, subsequently my apointment came through when I was out of the country!!! :mad:

...I still havent got a new appointment and I still can't hear I thing I have just writen!?!?! :p

Last edited:

Wg Cdr ComfeyChair-Smyth

*****istrator
Take solace in the knowledge that upon leaving the service, you will be in for a nice payout. My curent hearing level is H4, due to Sopwiths, and Blenhiems. Payout currently stands at £14k. Speak with the good old people at the British Legion, they are most adept at sorting your hearing loss claim out.

Wg Cdr ComfeyChair-Smyth

*****istrator
Contact your nearest British Legion, and ask about claiming for hearing loss whilst serving. Claims can only be submitted upon leaving the service, as legally this is when the Legion can acces your medical records.

T

Tooth Fairy

Get in touch with War Pensions peeps at Norcross, Blackpool. I believe you have to have a 30+% disability to claim a pension but anything less and you will get a lump sum. The hearing levels have changed so you have to be DEAF DEAF to get anything. I was A4 G4 Z5 due to cancer, which the War Pensions agency agreed was caused by my service....don't get a penny for that as it doesn't cause me a disability. However, should I start to snuff it and need some pills.. they will pay for my prescription. Bonus huh? :cool:

V

Verbage De'rivell

Arn't we getting a little adrift of the plot here?

What is going on at your base? We have heard loads about Lyneham, lets here about the others.

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Morale is at its lowest, FLECS is struggling to provide serviceable aircraft as we are lucky to get 20 through the doors due to guard (Including looking after another stations guard), naro, Op Telic rotations, Falklands Dets, leave, non-essential courses and rapid improvement events.

When it all boils down to it I feel that aircraft tasking and commitments have increased, manpower drastically decreased (yes i know that we need to reduce :rolleyes: ) and the situation is only going to get worse. The latest round of redundencies have been released today and we yet again lose more experience. This will put undue stress on the remaining experienced personnel as they will now have to cover Telic more often (And some people are doing an 8 week stint every 10-12 weeks), meaning that the people concerned will soon get even more dishearted and leave the service.

Its all well and good the officers doing all the working out on paper, but if they actually came down to the shop floor and worked a shift they would see that things are not fine at all. I see Flt Sgts stressed to hell as they get, yet again, requests for manpower that they simply have not got. I'm seeing young lads PVR'ing after 2 1/2 years, NCO's (Both Juniors and Seniors) applying for redundancy and who can really blame them? And even though the Seniors voice their concerns, all they get from certain officers on the station is an off the cuff comment of "Whining SNCO's". I will say one thing though Sir, if you read this, you need to grow up and listen to your Seniors, they have more understanding of flight Safety and other issues than you ever will....whining SNCO's my a$$, your problem is you dont like to hear the truth.

The new OC Eng is looking at ways to improve the situation and I thank him for actually realising there is a problem. However, he has an uphill struggle and I wish him luck on getting this station back on its feet again.

Last edited:
A

Albert Fatchock

51.gif

Wg Cdr ComfeyChair-Smyth

*****istrator
I personally dont think that the Station needs to get back on its feet. I do think its really need dragging into the 21st century!.. For too long Lyneham has burried its head in the sands, and refused to meet the same specifications that are required of any other camp.

The introduction of LEAN is by no means the downfall of the Station, it just highlighted how badly it was actually run. Seeing as Lynehams flying program is bid for months ahead by the three services, it is little wonder that it has managed this far to meet the requirements without a serious safety issue arising. I actually cringe at some of the practices that I see, knowing full well that if they are not compromised then there is not a cat in hells chance of meeting the program. Issues have already been raised as to why we have aircrew refusing to raise incident reports, knowing that they would lose a frame for the next task. In addition we now have resorted to an us and them situation between FLECS and HLS, whereby the ever so concientious liney now takes it upon themselves to forget every iota of trade work that they have gained on the aircraft, and now spend that extra bit of effort into generating work for FLECS. Why? - well HLS don't have to fix the aircraft, only report the faults. So now our keen (and rightly so) lineys are on a pilgrimage towards the holy grail of servicing - A Good Show. For doing nothing but thier jobs. Thier jobs are further ompounded by having to now walk to a difernt hangar to get tools, to carry out their job, whilst taking tools from a controlled tool stores under a differing tag system that FLECs employ. The RECS controller - Sorry the Manpower and Tasking Allocator - now can't see from one moment to the next what tools are out on which aircraft, highlighted recently by a crew asking "Is this torch one of yours". Similarly, a torch lost 4 months earlier was in exactly the same place as it was placed - inbetween an aileron actuator controll linkage - but, somewhat dimmer - if not extinguished. Which funnily enough, would be the most opportune and humane thing to do with Lyneham. Extinguish it.

Need two fooking drinks after that one...........where's the bottle......

V

Verbage De'rivell

In the main I think that Wing Co is right, for decades Lyneham has been it own worst enemy IMHO due to one fleet at the same station for those decades. This was carried on when we went to J &K through one working practice being adopted for the other. The discord between FLECS and HLS is no different to that between J & K Lines 24/30 - 47/70, Its the same on active fast jet or rotary squadrons. However it is seen as in-fighting when you think that FLECS and HLS should work hand in hand with the other.

I will be very interested to see what happens to the stations (Marham, Lossie, etc) where this type of servicing has been proposed and as whether or not it is taken up.

Some one said to me you have to step out side the box to see what is within. We have done that and I think there are elements of both systems that can be employed however LEAN is not a panacea to an efficient output throughout all engineering environments. What ever does come next should have the blessing of all concerned. By doing this the greater percentage will run with the idea and practices and make it work - this is where I believe those concerned missed the boat back in January 04 and why we have the constant turmoil we experience today.

For me I would like to go back to twin fleets. I believe it will be easer to produce a flying programme and easyer to administer. It will provide a healthy sense of competition which in turn will reproduce better quality standards and a better quality people all-round. We are technically operating a super-squadron now and look at what a mess we are in.

(Dismouts from soap, box exits stage right)

Last edited:
F

fugmeister general

the only thing that is leaner is the size of next years budget because we have to pay a crap company lots of money to steer us in the right direction. right ladies and gentlemen heres a cliff, it's a big cliff how do you think we get down it!! well you give me all your money and i throw you off !!!!!! sound like a fair deal to me!!!!!!!!! what we should do is go back to the way it was at least the budget was not wasted to employ a man with glasses and beard to an*****ly r*pe you of all your savings........................... all correspondence please forward to simpler customer care at the following address b********ks company @ rm 101 (cos thats where you'd put them) fleece street, OUR WAY or the H/WAY po box 101

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
And to top it all off, we have just had 40 redundencies on Eng Wing. All very experienced SNCO's and now we are definately in a "Sinking Ship" situation. Between now and next september we are to lose 8 SNCO J type propulsion tradesmen due to time ex and redundency. This leaves us with 4 experienced tradesmen left in this trade, and we have 2 SNCO slots to fill in the Herc Training School and 1 DTM slot to fill. Which leaves 1.....

Any chance of leave Sir?

Errr, no. :( youv'e got to have an operation to wedge a brush up your @$$ :rolleyes:

V

Verbage De'rivell

If you talk to the newbie runing the current VSA you will find the old beardy-wierdy has left simpler to teach in a school - science! :eek: ... stops for obvious jokes... :p

sumps

Sergeant
So after weak of debating they are to recommend the old system, 24/30 - 47/70, J-K Line, a - B Line what ever you want to call it. After today’s brief I don’t think that they will have any problem selling the concept to the powers-that-be due to the poor press that Lyneham has gained. Any cries of "you tried something new and failed whilst spending too much money" will in my view just fade away. The originators of the system we currently operate should have spent more time thinking things through and they probably would have arrived at the point we were show today without the workers being put through the ringer i.e. we would be swithing on to today's proposed system about now.

Last edited:
S

Skids!

Ahhhh, tekkies tekkies tekkies

Where would we be without you all? Fixing all those birds, working 24/7, and swanning around in your merc badges. Why not? Everyone on the station pitches up to work, does the job, goes home and has a bottle of wine or two to calm down after the hectic day that Lyneham seems to be having an awful lot of recently.

PROBLEM

The tin duck is fixed, the crew go into planning, briefing etc, its fuelled, loaded, inflight has fed and watered, all is set. Ol' nobby two stripes and the rest of his crew go to start/taxi etc - the bl**dy thing breaks!

Lets pretend this is a high priority task.

MT have to collect the crew and take them to ops, flight plans have to be delayed/cancelled while we wait for an estimate time for fixing the snag, ASCOT go mad because Lyneham hasn't got anything else to offer, crew duty is running out ATC want to know the ins and outs, destinations get anal due to the lack of dep/en route time, people are missing well earned lunch/tab breaks, more stripes get involved and even more time is wasted - bedlam!

SOLUTION?

Hand over to the night shift and enjoy 1/2.....3 bottles of wine in ya cozy warm room! He he

So when we talk about decreasing manpower/increase in tasking lets think about the knock on effect to the rest of the station and even other stations..... Has Lyneham really got it that bad?

O

oasis

from one so young no words of wisdom....just thank your lucky stars lean hasnt effected you as much as the teccies yet...believe me im no fan...i divorced one, but there are many people worse off than what your working skids right now... :p