• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Last tune for the band?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Get rid of them all... quickly followed by the mirror technicians and the fcuking RAF Waiters.....all non-essential pointless roles.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Get rid of them all... quickly followed by the mirror technicians and the fcuking RAF Waiters.....all non-essential pointless roles.

Swiftly followed by those ATC ****s........................:pDT_Xtremez_28:

briggfairy

Sergeant
I'd go further, make bands reserve / secondary duties, get rid of all of the horses thus freeing up lots of land to be sold off.

display teams could be made secondary duties / reservist / sold off for sponsorship.

get rid of all the raf medical branches, the RMC can cover that on ops and civvys can cover on site. as said gyms can be run by a civvy contractor.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Seem to think in the 'good old days' they performed some non-combatant role, maybe stretcher bearer?
In today's modern warfare, they could be better employed, cross trained, or removed as a money saver.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Scots bands should definitely go. With all the animal rights people washing around it surprises me how long they've been getting away with strangling cats.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I believe Bands still do Medic duties - maybe not the RAF bands, but certainly the Army ones do. Ditch the RAF Bands if they have no war role.
I do agree about Gym Techs - complete waste of effort and money, the same as the low-availability P&A Clerks, both could be well civilianised now that its all done by 'puters.(LOL)
But the biggest pay and pension loss is still the overbourne amount of officers, small and large.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just how much would we save from ditching 20-30 kazoo blowers? In terms of Defence spending it’s a spit in the ocean. How about streamlining the MoD beaurocrats? Here’s a novel thought...how about producing decent contracts with suppliers that hold them to account rather than leaving them with equipment the isn’t as required, late and vastly over-cost?

Get rid of all the pomp and what you have left is a defence force full of wage takers and little pride.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Good riddance. I know that lots of people like the 'public face' of UK MIL PLC, but I'm afraid the days when we could afford to run that sort of thing are long gone. The Govt wants us to be an agile fighting force - well that's fine, let's scrap all the stuff that isn't actually useful to frontline ops - goodbye Red Arrows. Goodbye airshows. Goodbye marching / parades. Goodbye Bands.

And another one I'd like to volunteer for chucking on the bonfire - goodbye 'sports-billies'. All those who joined the military so they can swan off on skiing / hiking / sports expeds, leaving others to pick up your workload, can take a long walk off a short pier to the nearest Job Centre. If you want to do sports, do them in your own time (ie use your leave to do it) or fcuk off so that you can be replaced by someone useful.

fourteen2two

Corporal
I believe Bands still do Medic duties - maybe not the RAF bands, but certainly the Army ones do. Ditch the RAF Bands if they have no war role.
I do agree about Gym Techs - complete waste of effort and money, the same as the low-availability P&A Clerks, both could be well civilianised now that its all done by 'puters.(LOL)
But the biggest pay and pension loss is still the overbourne amount of officers, small and large.

Agree,why not get rid or reduce to one the University Air Squadrons,are they really necessary?
Definitely agree on Sport Billies,ifvthey want to play sport do it in their own time at their expense! Like in civvy companies!
Gyms are provided for maintaining fitness, agree with that but with locally employed mirror techs!

Last edited: