• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laarparts

G

gemarriott

Just back after a weekend at and around Laarparts.

Sad to see the old place fraying at the seams but pretty pleasing to see it rising from the ashes in the form of a regional airport. Seemed strange sitting in departures in the exact same place that the small arms section of the armoury was. The old ASF hangar looks very different but if you look traces remain, especially upstairs where the armoury guard bunk was and in the ceiling.

Great views of SSA and Q Has's too.

Sad to see the neglect of the guardroom, and domestic sites abd XV's Has site was pretty wrecked. Nice little museum in the old church and SHQ complex still intact.

Off camp I was devastated to see no more Berlinner strasse flats gone to be replaced by a Warren of new cheap houses, Even worse was the flats on Stettiner Strasse where I lived, now occupied by asslyum seekers and looking like they had never had their windows cleaned. Magdeburger strasse was overgown all the neat little verges and bushes ruined. Weeezwe itself was still pretty much as always though the roads are different. No mor Mammas, the bahnhof has changed no bar but at least the Alt Weeze and Jagerhof are still there.

The real jewel though is Kevelaer where we lived the first year of our tour. Apart from the Balkan closing it is almost exactly the same. My little local still had the same furniture, and several marks were made on my bier mat. Yaeger acnitzel, Zigeuner schnitzel, ommes, currywurst, underberg, jagermeister.................................................

Side note flew Ryan Air, great trip for the money £22 including tax for 2 of us

G

grumpyoldb

Just back after a weekend at and around Laarparts.

Side note flew Ryan Air, great trip for the money £22 including tax for 2 of us

Where did you fly from? I thought they only did Laar from Norwich which is too far for me.

G

gemarriott

Where did you fly from? I thought they only did Laar from Norwich which is too far for me.

Leeds Bradford mate, just 1 hour in the air. First time I'd flown with them and it was very good indeed for the money.

G

grumpyoldb

Leeds Bradford mate, just 1 hour in the air. First time I'd flown with them and it was very good indeed for the money.

Cheers. At that price it'd be worth a day trip with the camera.
Was the Mally still open? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I went there last year with a few old mates, the quarters are run down and empty and singly straße has Eastern Europeans living on it.

Did you get some pictures?

G

gemarriott

I went there last year with a few old mates, the quarters are run down and empty and singly straße has Eastern Europeans living on it.

Did you get some pictures?

I took a few but most are the same as those already floating around. I'll load some up later or maybe tomorrow.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
"No mor Mammas" - Gem I'M gutted, she made the best chicken I have ever tasted, glad to see Kevelaer is still going strong, lived there on the first part of my tour in '73.

G

gemarriott

"No mor Mammas" - Gem I'M gutted, she made the best chicken I have ever tasted, glad to see Kevelaer is still going strong, lived there on the first part of my tour in '73.

Kevelaer is just the same, millions of pilgrims (over a million a year now) We lived on Hauptstrasse, right next to Kapellanplatz, the first time the Sunday bells rang out at 0600 I thought the Russkies had invaded. All the cafes have seats outside now but apart from that nothing much has changed. The littl schnelly on Hauptstrasse is still there but has expanded and now has seats and a cafe. The chinky has gone along with the Balkan but the little Bitburger pub is still ther but now sells Wobbly.

We're going back later in the year with the car to load up with Christmas goodies.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
We're going back later in the year with the car to load up with Christmas goodies.

...a service that even a cheap Ryanair ticket cant supply or better.

FYI the woods between Weeze and Goch now have loads of cycle tracks in them and are a haven for folks from the cities at weekends - Alpago's Ice Cafe makes a packet and also has seats and tables all over their Footpath areas.

Zur Post is now mainly a restuarant and the Stamme-Tisch (and its occupants) has seemingly disappeared!

"Willy" was still driving taxis a few years ago.

The BP garage (well, the owners) has relocated to the new By-pass to survive the loss of passing traffic on Kevelaerer Strasse.

I still love the place.

G

grumpyoldb

"Willy" was still driving taxis a few years ago.

Willy used to pick me up from the mally at 11-30 on Freitag abends in 1979 and drop me off at Pfalzdorf. He would lean me against the door and put my finger on the doorbell and clear off before my moosis came down.

He'd turn up at the section about 10am on monday for the fare.

A true gentleman. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited: