• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just how much do those in Ivory Towers take note from the Goat?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Curious question really as it has been mooted a few times that we are often gazed upon from those above in an effort to maintain a 'Finger on the Pulse'.

To what depths though? Do they have a dedicated team to eavesdrop or is it some sort of secondary duty for a Junior Rodney who can't be trusted to use the kettle / photocopier? Do they have policy in place for their alleged electronic clandestine ops if true? Do they even try to stoke the fire now and again or test us which we normally assume to be some thick cretin of a junior journalist?

Of our gripes.....do they even care?

Thoughts?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I know we 'used' to have a Wg Cdr posing as a JT on here a few years ago who was at HQSTC, but they haven't been on the site for many moons, a few of the trade sponsors had accounts at one time as well.

I know one post I made was mentioned informally to me in the bar one night by my trade sponsor (not in a bad way though). We also have visits from those very nice people from the 10 miles west of the back of beyond in Lincolnshire to make sure we playing nicely so we can stay available through IGS (or whatever its called this week).

hugo_a_go_go

Corporal
Curious question really as it has been mooted a few times that we are often gazed upon from those above in an effort to maintain a 'Finger on the Pulse'.

To what depths though? Do they have a dedicated team to eavesdrop or is it some sort of secondary duty for a Junior Rodney who can't be trusted to use the kettle / photocopier? Do they have policy in place for their alleged electronic clandestine ops if true? Do they even try to stoke the fire now and again or test us which we normally assume to be some thick cretin of a junior journalist?

Thoughts?

Well if they do...................heard the most stupid idea someone has come up with and that is to recruit IT managers etc from civvie street into the trade

wait for it...

Straight in as SNCO's!

Great retention idea you morons

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Well if they do...................heard the most stupid idea someone has come up with and that is to recruit IT managers etc from civvie street into the trade

wait for it...

Straight in as SNCO's!

Great retention idea you morons

What is the equivalent Trade and Rank in the RAF to an IT Manager?

What are the RAF lacking, skills or experience or both?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant

Thoughts?

Given the idiotic schemes that have been escaping the walls of the ivory towers over the last few years, I would assume that the person or persons keeping check on our musings were probably doing it as a secondary duty, and have since PVRd and had their posts gapped.

Either that, or the persons now in charge of said covert ops are utterly incompetent dunderfcuks, who obviously take no notice of what's been said on this forum.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The principal 'spy' lurking on here SHOULD be Mr J Crossley.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
You think? He's a nice guy, Mr. C, but I doubt he's got time to do this sort of tinterweb lurking himself (or at least, I'd like to think that his position, given that there's only one caswo, puts him above that sort of thing).

He is, however, in possession of a Cpl minion to do his dirty work....

It's more likely that if there's someone watching these pages, it'll be a JO admin clerk type bod

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
You think? He's a nice guy, Mr. C, but I doubt he's got time to do this sort of tinterweb lurking himself (or at least, I'd like to think that his position, given that there's only one caswo, puts him above that sort of thing).

He is, however, in possession of a Cpl minion to do his dirty work....

It's more likely that if there's someone watching these pages, it'll be a JO admin clerk type bod

Why would he have someone filtering out the 'unpleasant topics' before things go up the foodchain?

The Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officer (CASWO) is the senior Warrant Officer of the Royal Air Force.

The post was created in 1996 and the person holding this appointment advises the Chief of the Air Staff on matters concerning airmen and airwomen of the RAF.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Why would he have someone filtering out the 'unpleasant topics' before things go up the foodchain?

I didn't say that he would filter anything - I just doubt that as the CASWO, he's got the time to be digging through our moanings personally. It's far more likely that, if Air Cmd are actually interested in what's being said on here, and the responsibility does fall to CASWO, he'll have a bod that will trawl through it and report up (regardless of how unpleasant the topic), be they a JNCO or a JO or whatever.

However, I think it's far more likely that there are just some pleople on here who also happen to hold positions in HQ. I've seen threats of PVR from all ranks lately, from the very low to the very high, so it wouldn't surprise me if the chat is being watched (but not acted on).

Digzster

Sergeant

Thoughts?

One word answer to that is........NO.

The days of the higher Air Force " caring" about personnel are in the main (and have been for a long time) gone.

You only have to look at how management speak has taken over along with the bean counters. The penny dropped for me that I was just a number that could (possibly) be easily replaced at my 18 year point (I know that took a long time). From then on, I watched upcoming proposed changes to see how I would be affected. Once it got too much to personally bear, it was "Goodbye...and thanks for all the fish".

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Bosses would prioritise people if that was they were reported and promoted on, and there was spare cash around of course to splurge, they aren’t and there isn’t so it’s what it is.

Of course even in the good old days, normally a period at least 2 postings back, there was no money but plenty of fun things to offer, sports, stand downs and trips to the bar for a bit of bonding, with the occasional unbonding session too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I know for a fact that personnel at High Wycombe were watching it in 08 or 09. I was called in for a chat without coffee with OC PMS at Cottesmore about a post I made, that had been seen by some FS at HW, forwarded to his Wg Cdr, who had forwarded it to OC Admin at Cottesmore (I saw the e-mail chain). His face was a picture when I stood my ground and said that what I'd said was factually correct.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was called in for a chat without coffee.

You are not alone MWD I know at least three members or former members who had one way chats about posts they had made on the goat in times past. Anecdotally it has always been said that the Goat was being read and monitored for content from above, but I am completely unaware of any positive action higher management has taken as result of such reading. It maybe that they have acted upon our thoughts and musing and in a way so subtle it has gone unnoticed or they may just have read and ignored the grumblings of the unwashed masses.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You are not alone MWD I know at least three members or former members who had one way chats about posts they had made on the goat in times past. Anecdotally it has always been said that the Goat was being read and monitored for content from above, but I am completely unaware of any positive action higher management has taken as result of such reading. It maybe that they have acted upon our thoughts and musing and in a way so subtle it has gone unnoticed or they may just have read and ignored the grumblings of the unwashed masses.

Could they monitor you if you used your own mobile laptop or tablet.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've been subjected to a witchunt from postings on here. They never got me tho!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I would suppose not (IT Biff). I was not referencing individuals, in the main, rather suggesting that "they" monitor or used to monitor the goat content as a whole for trends and opinions. Occasionally though a poster would leave way to many clues to their off goat identity making it simpler for such posters to be invited in for chats without a beverage.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Yes. My instance was a comment I had made on my PC at home about the number of personnel within my trade who had not done an OOA for well over 10 years, with some closer to 20 years, whereas the turnround time for me was 3-4 years. The comment was factual, because I had seen the live TG17 OOA spreadsheet via a 1:1 briefing from the Chf Clk where I was shown exactly where I appeared in relation to everyone else. I was well down the list, but due very soon because pretty much everyone above me was exempt for one reason or another - it worked out around 30% of my rank & trade were unable to deploy.

My post never mentioned names - more my astonishment at how many non-deployables were knocking around. If it ruffled a few feathers in Ivory Towers, then so be it.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
As for one way chats I know of a regular individual on here who was called in a few times by the JEngO we had at the time. Said JEngO was a massive bellend though.