• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Junior Ranks Mess at RAF Brize Norton

Why is it that the RAF can instantly find a few million quids worth of missiles to drop on IS in Mosul but cant fin the money to make sure that the Junior Ranks mess at RAF Brize Norton is re-opened so that its airman can eat. It has been closed now for well over 6 months and the forecast is that it will not be open for at least another year. Come on Mr RAF get your priorities right. Start feeding your airmen instead of prioritising dropping bombs on IS as more important.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Seriously? All you are going to do on an RAF discussion forum is slag off the RAF?

Munkey

LAC
Surely given the number of gripes about the poor standard of food etc under PAYD, not eating in the mess would be seen as a positive and a boost for morale:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Surely given the number of gripes about the poor standard of food etc under PAYD, not eating in the mess would be seen as a positive and a boost for morale:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Sure. But the Officers are still getting fed, the SNCO's are still getting fed. Junior ranks however still getting ****ed over just like I have highlighted in previous posts.

All about motivating them to perform to the best of their ability to progress up the promotion ladder and be fed.

What so a young Flying Officer straight out of Cranwell with no time served is entitled to get fed in his mess whilst SAC's and JNCO's with 8-15 years experience and many deployments under their belt are told they have no mess to eat in for 2 years.

Yes rank really does have its priviliges :)

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I believe the Gateway is available to them.... But it's not exactly close to any accommodation blocks.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just as a matter of interest, where do the singlies eat if there is no mess for them? How come there is no riots fuelled the starving thousands? There must be quite a few of them at Brize...

Entropy

Sergeant
The Gateway offers core meals 1x meat and 1 x veggie plus everything else that is in the deal (soup and pud)... To me the closure of JRM has led to an improvement in quality. It was so dire I would eat at the Gateway regardless.

The closure of the JRM has only improved meals for JR's temporarily because they are forced to travel to the Gateway (Over a mile away and a trek without transport) where you have food that has been prepared to the standard required for SNCO's and Officers to eat as they too eat in the Gateway. That is the reason why meal quality has improved but it is not like it has improved for the benefit of JR, it is at that standard because of the hierarchy also eating there. What needs to happen is money pumped into the JR mess fast (2 years waiting time for repairs is absurd considering we can fire a few missiles at IS in less than a minute at the cost of a couple of million.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Has there been an official response from on unit to the delay. If this is mutual amongst the JR's then maybe an approach the WO catering to ascertain what could be done if the JR's are really that unhappy. It happened at Cottesmore in HMF when there were some very serious moral issues caused by the signing of a contract with BAE. Lets just say it was sorted after AOC 1Gp got involved, but after many emails up the CoC to highlight the problem.

Last edited:

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Has there been an official response from on unit to the delay. If this is mutual amongst the JR's then maybe an approach the WO catering to ascertain what could be done if the JR's are really that unhappy. It happened at Cottesmore in HMF when there were some very serious moral issues caused by the signing of a contract with BAE. Lets just say it was sorted after AOC 1Gp got involved, but after many emails up the CoC to highlight the problem.

get all the lads to fill an INFORM in.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I'm not sure I understand what your gripe is.

The JRM is closed, but there's an alternative provided that's an improvement on the quality previously provided and doesn't cost you anything more.

So is your gripe just that you have to walk a little bit further to eat your food? Oh no, how terrible. Yes, the Gateway could be at the opposite end of the airfield to where you work, but common sense would dictate that you would discuss the time it takes to travel there with your line manager, who would then use common sense to allow for that time during your lunchbreak.

From your previous posts, we've established that you're a fit, healthy 35 year old, so you should have no problem walking the distance from anywhere on Brize to the Gateway (think of it as a pre-meal phys session, then walking off your food). Or, get a pushbike.

Or, if you really want to get yourself noticed, go and complain to your SWO - I'm sure he'll arrange for Harry Staish to drop you off every lunchtime...

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I'm back home to Brize this weekend so I will eat in the OM and the Gateway as I have the choice and will do a consumer food survey to keep fellow goaters informed i will also go to the gym in prep for my fitness test even though I'm downgraded and then go home to clean my house and trim my sidies. I will check that my TV licence is paid and then estimate the cost of having to move all of us should I get my assignment changed to DMS(W):pDT_Xtremez_15:

Just to lighten this thread a little...... When I was posted from training to the home of the Whispering Giant in the year of our lord nineteen hundred and seventy, the food in the JRM at Bzn was beyond compare and could not be bettered on other RAF stations or local hostelries.
Breakfast was the standard fair, but plates of local sausage, bacon, eggs, fresh mushrooms, tomatoes etc all served hot and tasty, with accompanying tea and toast, was a great way to start the day.
Lunchtime offered a full dinner with a choice of various roasts, steak bar, omelette bar, a giant salad bar consisting of cold meats, fresh salmon, carved to your liking and invariably a cold fresh cooked turkey again carved to your preference. I had never seen such a quantity and quality of food in my life.
Tea/evening meal was chips with something (I love chips) but the choice was massive.
Ironically, the Britannia shift system was 3 days (12 hour shift), 3 nights (12 hour shift), 6 days off. Those people who went away from the block on the 6 day standdown always complained that they were paying for food that they neither wanted or were there to eat.
The WO Catering came over to the Line Hut on several occasions, to explain that our absence allowed him to reallocate our ration money to purchase fresh orange juice, instead of the powdered variety, fresh fruit and fresh cakes and sundries to accompany the evening meal. Indeed, his rationale was that we still had good value for our money.
My, my, history has proved he knew his stuff.

FootTapper

Sergeant
Just to lighten this thread a little...... When I was posted from training to the home of the Whispering Giant in the year of our lord nineteen hundred and seventy, the food in the JRM at Bzn was beyond compare and could not be bettered on other RAF stations or local hostelries.
Breakfast was the standard fair, but plates of local sausage, bacon, eggs, fresh mushrooms, tomatoes etc all served hot and tasty, with accompanying tea and toast, was a great way to start the day.
Lunchtime offered a full dinner with a choice of various roasts, steak bar, omelette bar, a giant salad bar consisting of cold meats, fresh salmon, carved to your liking and invariably a cold fresh cooked turkey again carved to your preference. I had never seen such a quantity and quality of food in my life.
Tea/evening meal was chips with something (I love chips) but the choice was massive.
Ironically, the Britannia shift system was 3 days (12 hour shift), 3 nights (12 hour shift), 6 days off. Those people who went away from the block on the 6 day standdown always complained that they were paying for food that they neither wanted or were there to eat.
The WO Catering came over to the Line Hut on several occasions, to explain that our absence allowed him to reallocate our ration money to purchase fresh orange juice, instead of the powdered variety, fresh fruit and fresh cakes and sundries to accompany the evening meal. Indeed, his rationale was that we still had good value for our money.
My, my, history has proved he knew his stuff.

When I first visited Brize JRM in 1999 (just transiting through, but we went to the JRM rather than Gateway) I was amazed at the range and quality of the food. I was based at Coltishall at the time and thought the food there in the JRM was great - but Brize was a whole new world.

I spent 8 years at Brize 2003-2011 and always felt that even 1 meal per day on average was still good value for money. It seemed so obvious what would happen if PAYD came in....