• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Its just not cricket

F

FlightOpsAnimal

This sort of tosh reminds me why I haven't bothered posting on here for an eternity.

It is accepted that the choice of the subject player as best in tournament was unfortunate.

'Cheating', 'no integrity', 'caught out'; for goodness sake, these unfounded comments merely go to highlight the posters as small-minded whingers.

In the great scheme of things - does it really matter who wins what when you consider the underlying goals (see what I did there?) of the tournament which have been in place since the inception of the ATC 5s many, many moons ago. The goals:

• Raise a stack of money for charity
  • Meet old friends
  • Get very drunk before/during the tournament
  • Play some football
Several thousand pounds were raised this year. There was unanimous praise for the organisation and hospitality. If there were some c*ck-ups - well dry your eyes precious and volunteer to do a better job next year.

(Looks up 'priorities' in OED)

:pDT_Xtremez_30: Finally, someone who recognises the fives for what they really are!!!

Y

You Can Call Me Al

'Soldier of Justice' AKA 'C*ck'

'Soldier of Justice' AKA 'C*ck'

I wouldn't normally rise to dickwads like you.

In fact I still won't.

Get a life.

Out.

:pDT_Xtremez_06:

A

Arty Monitors

No one is questioning the amount of money raised for charity at all.

BUT

As the competition was advertised as the Air Traffic 5's, therefore you should reasonably expect teams to be made up from Air Traffickers/TG9/Flt Ops..not PTI's.
Sporting competitions by there very nature are commonly defined as an organized competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play (Something I think that was lacking by allowing teams full of PTI's).
If you can't get enough TG9 to play, you don't enter a team; surely thats not that difficult is it?

TTF Now

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Re: Its just not cricket

Teams full of PTIs? That indicates 7 to me. TTF have used PTIs many times in the past in the 5s.

Grand scheme of things, did anyone die? No? What's the problem? Raised thousands and no doubt a good time was had by all.

Did the losing team in the final complain?

A

Air Force Blue

All true, he was a PTI, not to mention the other ringer TTF had in their side even though they had a TG9 player on the bench. Its ok though as Shawbury A who lost in the final also had a medic in goal and another ringer.

Shawbury truly is a bastion of Integrity and set a fine example to the young students and rest of the trade.

Are you sure your comments about the player concerned representing the RAF are true, i have a feeling you are wrong...? Was he in fact just one of many ringers playing in the tournament?

I very much doubt he went along with the intention of picking up a trophy, but in fact went along for a great day like the ringers that appeared in most teams...

It seems like youre issue isnt that ringers were playing, as that has been the case every year, and i dont think complaints have been made before. It seems you just dont like the fact that one was in the winning team. If any of the other teams had won, would you still be making such a fuss?

Y

You Can Call Me Al

I'll Try One More Time

I'll Try One More Time

Arty Monitors - whilst you haven't quite risen to the heights of dickwaddiness as SOJ (AKA Kn*b) - you are surely having a mighty good go at it.
If you can't get enough TG9 to play, you don't enter a team; surely thats not that difficult is it?
- what a well-reasoned argument. That will REALLY help to boost the charity's coffers. Take note of SSH's comments. Now can we please concentrate on important stuff and wait for the flood of volunteers from the ranks of the whiners to organise next years event?

PS - they'd better be quick about it as I understand that admin for the next disaster has already started.

S

Soldier of Justice

Arty Monitors - whilst you haven't quite risen to the heights of dickwaddiness as SOJ (AKA Kn*b) - you are surely having a mighty good go at it.
- what a well-reasoned argument. That will REALLY help to boost the charity's coffers. Take note of SSH's comments. Now can we please concentrate on important stuff and wait for the flood of volunteers from the ranks of the whiners to organise next years event?

PS - they'd better be quick about it as I understand that admin for the next disaster has already started.

Why the offensive comments? If its just a charity event and trade group is irrelevant then why call it the ATC 5s? Why do WE pay OUR money to enter and travel at OUR expense for Shawbury not to enter in the spirit of the competition. It is after all a competition isnt it? Some people sustained fairly serious injuries playing saturday because thats what happens when you play competitive sport. The PTI who won player of the tournament thoroughly deserved to, he was exceptional in every game and has a great future playing RAF sport.

Yes money was raised and a lot of good will come from that, it was still on the premise of a football tournament though. If Lossie play a ringer then surely their integrity is called into question and if they win then the victory is tainted, yes or no? For a Station with such a large number of TG9 personnel who dont even have to travel or stay at their own expense, is their really an excuse?

Perhaps we are all being a little over the top but it still grates slightly that we could all have played ringers yet entered into the spirit of the competition only for Shawbury not to.

Still the offensive comments are completely uncalled for and childish.

Hmmmm

SAC
I remember when the Fives was a lazy man's excuse for a few beers. Teams didn't have strips, refs wouldn't have noticed 6 players on the pitch, goal posts were moved and, to be honest, no one even noticed that there was a trophy at the end of the day.

However, in latter years things became a bit more serious and there was a degree of pride involved, people started to get hurt and a few players didn't even have a drink before the games!!!!! Maybe someone should have gripped the situation then and clarified the aim of the 'tournament'.

Anyway, I have always had a cracking time at the Fives and have much respect for the work that CATCS put into the event. Maybe next year people can take it a little less seriously and just have a bleedin' good time in the Aries Club on the Friday night?

PS. If it really is an ATC tournament, how come so many Ops bods always pitch-up? ;)

Last edited:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
PS. If it really is an ATC tournament, how come so many Ops bods always pitch-up? ;)

Easy to answer:

a. To raise the average IQ of the attendees.

b. To show the wooly woofter controller branch how to drink.

c. To make sure that at least a few players on the pitch can standup straight by virtue of having some sort of back bone.

I hope this helps! ;)

Pleased with that answer, even if I say so myself!

Sergeant
I take it no one has been to the binbrook bomb rugby 7s.Full of ringers,but then it was only an excuse for a get together and psiss up. To this day i have no idea who walked away with the bomb from one year to the next.

Chaka

Sergeant
Arty Monitors & SoJ - Man Up wet pants!boxer
SSH - Stop teasing Controllers.:p
Hmmmm & YCCMA - Well said.:cool:

W

What's the bloody point?

TTF fielding ringers? I thought the last two SI's were a little lacking in integrity..... Colonel, I thought better of you! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

To be honest, I lost interest in it all when the station I was at held training sessions prior to the event!

Muttley

LAC
This sort of tosh reminds me why I haven't bothered posting on here for an eternity.

It is accepted that the choice of the subject player as best in tournament was unfortunate.

'Cheating', 'no integrity', 'caught out'; for goodness sake, these unfounded comments merely go to highlight the posters as small-minded whingers.

In the great scheme of things - does it really matter who wins what when you consider the underlying goals (see what I did there?) of the tournament which have been in place since the inception of the ATC 5s many, many moons ago. The goals:

• Raise a stack of money for charity
  • Meet old friends
  • Play some football
Several thousand pounds were raised this year. There was unanimous praise for the organisation and hospitality. If there were some c*ck-ups - well dry your eyes precious and volunteer to do a better job next year.

(Looks up 'priorities' in OED)

Well said!

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
I remember going to Shawbury in the early 90’s for 2 of the tournaments – where the priorities were more like:

• Meet old friends
• Get more drunk in evening
• Play some football (well 5 or 6 out of the 20 of us who went did anyway!)
• Try to explain antics away when we got back – Have Satco send apology for our ‘exuberance’ and promise we would be better behaved next year! (he was a good guy, and sent the same letter two years in a row - although it was a bit harder to explain why there had been a call from Shawbury the second year after we promised we would behave better after the first time he got a call)

There was probably some charity involvement – I vaguely recall it. I also have no idea who won any of the competitions. I remember loudly booing LATCC a few times in ‘93, because – well they were LATCC and deserved it, somehow (probably!)

But the thing I remember the most is having a lot of fun and catching up with people I didn’t see very often.

Were there ringers back then – probably!, in fact yes, mostly from trades that would know ATC types (Ground Radio, fireman etc) – does it matter all that much in the grand scheme of things – no, not really!.

Did teams take it seriously back then?, yes – some did – and some just drank heavily.. I remember we had team t-shirts made up and the playing contingent took it very seriously – not drinking until after they were done for the day – but the larger (non playing!) contingent made up for it and drank their share during the day. I also saw at least one of their games over the weekend!.

Did anyone complain about ringers afterwards – NO!!!!! It was seen for what it was, a good chance to get together – for some to play footy as seriously as they liked (and that ranged from very serious to not at all!) – for everyone to have a few drinks and laughs. Raise some money for charity – there wasn’t FA scouts in the crowd, and at the end of the day who won was usually forgotten within a week or two by everyone else!..

Finally, a long overdue ‘thank-you’ to the organizers of the ’92 and ’93 competitions – they were really good fun! (Even if the tales of our behavior got back to our SATCO before we did! – in fairness though, usually from a Shawbury duty officer rather than the tournament organizers! And part of the experience was being called into his office for a little ‘chat’ about it, and to help frame the apology)

And indeed, a big thanks to the organizers who have kept if going for all the subsequent years (I’m sure it has stayed just as good!).

And to the whiners – get a life!

Last edited:
I

insideinfoman

If my old memory serves me right "ringers" have been around since the very beginning.

So I thing people need to read the last post and remember what it was all about and go back to the good ol' days.

As for me, the 5's lost its fun when a certain Tower team, not a million miles away where its held, practised for months before the tournement and had a hissy fit when they got beat....so funny

Oh and WTBP.........careful with what you say it might come back to haunt you one day LOL
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Y

You Can Call Me Al

SOJ - aka Kn*b

SOJ - aka Kn*b

Been away, so couldn't insult you sooner.

Childish - moi? YOU started it ('run along' indeed!)

Offensive - moi? You are still a narrow-minded, not-very-clever individual who needs to grasp the concept of the bigger picture.

It should now have become apparent to you, hopefully, from the other posts from those wiser than I that you are in a very small minority of whingers who have completely missed the point of the ATC fives.

So there.

T

The Controller

...on the same topic...could someone tell me where the Shawbury Fives are played each year and how many in a team? Thank you.