• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the CAS on his way to a big fat pension ?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Air Vice Marshal H Smyth CB OBE DFC to be promoted Air Marshal and to be Deputy Commander Operations, Headquarters Air Command and Air Member for Operations with effect from 26 August 2022 in succession to Air Marshal Sir Gerry Mayhew KCB CBE whose next appointment is yet to be announced.

Less than a week before Smyth moves into the number 2 seat, what news for Mayhew in the meantime.

Wigston must be sailing very close to the wind with all the national press embarrassments the RAF have had during his tenure.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
There is something sadly wrong with the upper levels of the RAF. They seem to have lost sight of the fact that the duty of the Armed Forces is to kill the Queen's enemies. The rot that currently pervades through the service appears to me come from the very top although the rot started some time ago. I don't care what colour, gender, sexual persusasion, etc a person is - I want them to be good at the job they are paid to do and better than anyone they are likely to oppose in a conflict. Heads should roll for the service being brought into disrepute and subjected to public ridicule.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is he on his way to a big fat pension?
He most certainly is on his way to big fat pension and few selected non executive directorships posts at various defence companies. The debate is when does he leave his current job. Financial concerns about salaries, cash flow, can we manage on my pension? Are probably not a hot breakfast table topic that he has with Mrs CAS

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Smyth to the Number 2 Seat on 26 July.
Mayhew moving TBA on 26 July.
Wigston been in post for 3 years on 26 July 2019.

Coincidences ?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
"Taxi for Wokeston"... I certainly hope so.
Total embarrassment

I'm hearing that an awful lot across the ranks.

One Flight Sergeant told me last week that the general consensus is that the service as a whole can't wait to see him gone.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Smyth to the Number 2 Seat on 26 July.
Mayhew moving TBA on 26 July.
Wigston been in post for 3 years on 26 July 2019.

Coincidences ?
"Taxi for Wokeston"... I certainly hope so.
Total embarrassment

PS, think your a bit premature on Harv's date...

Trust me, I have been doing that all month 🤬

Smyth to the Number 2 seat on 26 August.
Mayhew moving TBA on 26 August.
Wigston has been in post for 3 years on 26 July.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
No CAS lasts forever. No news story as far as I am concerned bar that a Jag mate gets the helm.

Last edited:

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Of course it is a no news story - it isn't all about you bigging yourself up.
You don't know Wigston or Mayhem. I have served under both of them, the former out on 903 EAW when Barwood was killed. The air force board came up with all the changes so others are equally involved with the shit storm. Made a news story to stir up the gammons. Country is fucked by the political leaders not investing in the country. Economy going to be shot again. Tory rags have to attack something else instead with problem for British Defence. Avoid the screwed British economy.

ERT

Corporal
It's tough at the top, doing more with less and less. Bringing in new capability, however trying to increase accommodation and housing standards. Continually robbing peter, to pay paul. Trying to retain , but also recruit the best....recruitment (and training) costs more than retention...

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Any news on Gerry Mayhew?

He seems to have been forgotten about.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
From my sources the whole program was brought forward by 6 months due to AM Turner resigning. From my understanding Harv was destined for DComOps just later on. CAS is due to leave in Apr 23, usually there is a 6 month handover period where the incumbent is not assigned to anything (Gerry as far as I know). There is only two others that i know of who are eligble and both are in posts which go past Apr23.

If anyone other that Gerry is announced I think it will be a shock, TBH it needs someone to bring us back on track, QUICK!!!!!!!

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
From my sources the whole program was brought forward by 6 months due to AM Turner resigning. From my understanding Harv was destined for DComOps just later on. CAS is due to leave in Apr 23, usually there is a 6 month handover period where the incumbent is not assigned to anything (Gerry as far as I know). There is only two others that i know of who are eligble and both are in posts which go past Apr23.

If anyone other that Gerry is announced I think it will be a shock, TBH it needs someone to bring us back on track, QUICK!!!!!!!
my money is on Rich Knighton

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I have a feeling it was Mayhew that told Waddington personnel that if they didn’t like the RAF they should leave.
Not exactly a thinker, is he!
That's becos in their minds in Ivory towers that the RAF is 100,000 strong with spare capacity to take on any task as required. Bet HW and MOD are well staffed with loads of {POINTLESS} Officer Ranks. Give the impression to the Ivory Tower brigade that we're "well stocked" with Human Resources to boot........

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
The requirements of top brass being of the grow bag variety has been binned. That I was told by a serving groupie at an association bash in London last November.