• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Invalided from service but no compensation!?! Please HELP!!!

With regards to the AFCS turning you down for comp, that is the process... You will have been assessed that your condition started BEFORE the AFCS scheme was introdcued in 2005 THAT is why you were then referred to the WPS.
You will NOT get a payout from both schemes. It is one or the other.
I was told all this by the lovely lady from the SVPA who helped me fill in my application for a war pension.

I have the exact same condition as yourself .. degenerative disc disease L4/L5 and had a right sided L5 discectomy in Oct, am now looking at the possibility of being sliced and diced for a 2nd time as the L4 is causing more pain than before I had the op.
It started back in 87 when I was on trade training and had an accident which they deemed was attributable to service.

22 years of working as a supplier humping and dumping everything from tents to aircraft black boxes and lacons has taken it's toll. Misdiagnosis by the RAF in 2007 didn't help, neither did their refusal to send me for x-rays or scans after my back went trapping my sciatic nerve not long after. I now have permanent nerve damage and no achilles reflex in my ankle.

I was not invalided from the service, but was still on a temp downgrade when I left the service. (My belief was that you either had to be fully fit, med discarge or admin discharge when you left)

My appeal against my award is being worked on by the RBL who are going to represent me at tribunal.
I was assessed as only being 6-14% disabled so do not qualify for a monthly payout. Thankfully though I do get a war pension exemption certificate for prescriptions for my back. Which at this moment in time I am VERY grateful for.

J

Jay Low D

Chazza 23

Chazza 23

Chazza,
from your description of injuries and job it sounds as though you were in very much the same line of work as I (see the name - although I suspect you may have been other than FW).

I have 'mechanical back problems with degeneration and bulging in L1,2,3,4 & 5' - you haven't a prayer with AFCS - tried every angle possible and they say as there was no one specific incicdent then they cannot award.

The one solid gold piece of advice I will give (assuming you are aircrew) is "DON'T LEAVE UNDER THE OPTION TO MEDICALLY DISCHARGE" - QR607 15(b) - make sure they tell you that you are medically discharged under QR607 15(a). I was told there was no difference but there is a world of difference. under 607 15(a)- standard discharge, you'll automatically get a service invaliding pension based upon years of service and rank. If you exit under the aircrew option to medically discharge QR607 15(b) then it goes before a discretionary awards panel and as such you probably won't be given a service invaliding pension.

I could go on for hours on the subject but please message me if you are aircrew and want further information, as my path has be recent and expensive.

All the best!