• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interviews

insty66

Corporal
I've just started being part of an interview panel and there has been one or two things that struck me very forcefully people should always do and remember. For some this is a bit noddy but I promise it can make the difference between getting a job offer and not.

1. Don't lie on your CV, if you get caught why would a company employ a liar? Qualifications etc might very well be examined if appropriate for the role.
2. Be prepared to fill gaps in your CV, any holes in a timeline will be explored.
3. Do your research, you don't need an encyclopaedic knowledge of the company but you should have a clear idea of locations, make-up of the business, product lines, etc. If you show no interest in the company why should they in you?
4. The interview is where you sell yourself, modesty does not help, if asked about your successes / achievements tell them, otherwise we can only assume you've had no successes.
5. The interview isn't to catch you out, it's to find out about you, your personality, skill attitude etc, if an interviewer goes back to a question or subject it's because they're after more evidence, not because they don't believe you.
6. NEVER think the interviewer(s) are not paying attention.
6. Your interview might well begin before you meet the interviewers, you're on show from the moment you arrive so keep your standards up.

I'm sure there's more but I thought I'd pass on what I have (re)learned for other to use

Insty

Funky

LAC
Always thought a good tip for interviews was to take a bottle of water in (if allowed). If you require a moment to compose your thoughts, take a little sip. Far better than umming and arrring!

gray

Sergeant
Always thought a good tip for interviews was to take a bottle of water in (if allowed). If you require a moment to compose your thoughts, take a little sip. Far better than umming and arrring!

Luckily the last 2 interviews I had, they had water there - good tip !
(actually the only 2 - since joining up)

Same works for presentations too ! :)

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Good post Insty. I was on an interview panel this week. One applicant had lied on his CV and was caught out and lied twice during the interview and was caught out.... As you can guess... He didn't get the job.

230Tiger

Sergeant
Great post Insty.

I've just had to do quite a few interviews lately for apprentices, mechanics and for 2 (internal) leading hand positions. What struck me about quite a few of them (even the internal applicants) was the lack of research and understanding of exactly what role they were applying for. One guy, when asked what he knew about our company (a major international aircraft engine manufacturer) said "err, i don't know, something in aviation" - Next!

My advise would be:

1. Do a little research and show interest in the company your applying to. Nobody is expecting you to give a detailed breakdown of the company but a basic understanding of what they do is always appreciated.
2. Listen to the questions that are asked!! Answer them honestly and in relation to the position you are applying for! If you don't understand the question ask them to repeat it. If you think they don't understand your answer (military speak) ask them if they understand what you mean.
3. Promote yourself, this is your one opportunity to say "hey, I'm great and you should employ me as i'll be a great asset to your team/company", so don't be backward about coming forward. Come prepared with some of your success stories.
4. Be yourself. Remember, as well as checking to see if you are qualified and capable of doing the job the interviewers will be looking for honest, friendly and reliable people who will fit into their team/company.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
...and DON'T try to break the atmosphere with a joke or off-the-cuff remark.

You don't know who you're talking to or their sense of humour...I've seen the effects on both sides of the desk.

montheton

LAC
Went for an interview, the lad outside was an ex-snco rigger from my camp, the interviewer was an ex-chief from my camp! He said he normally done a wee test but since he knew what i done he wouldn't bother. He then ran through the company business, job and a few parts of the job! nothing left for me to ask really but i came up with a few just to show willing!