• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian’s Reach the Moon but….

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Over 230 million of their population are assessed in multi-dimensional poverty, the infant mortality rate is 64 in 1000 births, 2.8M cases of TB a year, child trafficking, corruption and sexual attacks rife in populous areas…

But what was more important, aside from the above and huge amounts of cash spent on weapons, is to get people on the moon over 60 years after someone else did it?

Why?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Why?

To inspire the next few generations of Indian Scientists and Engineers, who don't know they want to go that way just yet.

The futurist side of me says we need to, as a species, work together to get off of this planet and start colonising across the galaxy(ies). Having every nation see itself as an obvious contributor to this sort of aim elevates buy in and therefore increases the chance of success.

Of course we are talking timelines of a century or more, therefore several generations of Scientists and Engineers from many areas of the globe, along with the required R&D on many Tech Trees.

Junter

LAC
Why?

To inspire the next few generations of Indian Scientists and Engineers, who don't know they want to go that way just yet.

The futurist side of me says we need to, as a species, work together to get off of this planet and start colonising across the galaxy(ies). Having every nation see itself as an obvious contributor to this sort of aim elevates buy in and therefore increases the chance of success.

Of course we are talking timelines of a century or more, therefore several generations of Scientists and Engineers from many areas of the globe, along with the required R&D on many Tech Trees.
Or rather than inspire scientists and engineers to work on getting off this planet, maybe the same scientists and engineers could be inspired to try and save it.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Or rather than inspire scientists and engineers to work on getting off this planet, maybe the same scientists and engineers could be inspired to try and save it.
Indeed, but I would say spreading your bets and trying to back both would be the safest strategy. With technologies developed either way used to complement both strategies.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The cynic in me wonders just how many of the Business investment/foreign aid monies designed to help the poorest of India's society India ended up in the moon landing project. Maybe not a single penny but.........

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The cynic in me wonders just how many of the Business investment/foreign aid monies designed to help the poorest of India's society India ended up in the moon landing project. Maybe not a single penny but.........

Yes, but isn't "foreign aid" another word for "soft power" aka a "sweetener" to keep recipient countries onside?

Perhaps that should be another debate?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm struggling to understand why my taxes go towards an overseas aid budget that contributes to a country who can afford Nukes and put rockets on the moon.