• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In-Car Dash Cam

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Any goaters got a dash cam? Had a couple of near misses in Elgin and have decided to invest in one. Looking around they all seem pretty much the same. Any one got any recommendations/horror stories?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I've had one for several months now.

The resolution is excellent even though it is a sub £20 camera + £15 for a micro SD card. I will link my latest 'BMW Encounter' once it has got through the hosting site censors.

Funny thing, since I watched the first few recordings the number of 'close shaves' seems to have decreased, it may have something to do with self criticism and changing my own driving style ...

gray

Sergeant
No, but I've been toying with the idea too, so would be interested in any answers.

Good selection on Amazon/EBay.... the auto save on collision/emergency stop looks useful.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Yea I was looking at that feature. I would prefer to have one that can be hard-wired in so I don't have to lose my 12V supply, plus you can then use the parked feature where it will activate if it senses a bump while parked up.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
My latest >> BMW Encounter <<, ignore the date stamp on the video, my fingers are too fat to operate the menu system properly ...

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
After an incident with a truck last year, and on the spur of the moment, I bought a £40 (requires SD card - not supplied) cheapy with a Sucker that was advertised in a paper.

It works well, on its long power lead, but I think the resolution is poor (720p or less). But I have recorded one incident of someone else's stupidity in the last few months. I have probably also recorded many of my own faults too. (any recording shows everybody's mistakes!)

While it would show the movement and position of objects quite clearly, you can't read road signs or registrations.

"Auto-Save on Collision" - what sort of sales Clap-Trap is that! Anything with a memory battery has that ability to retain data on powerdown.

I compared the car camera to my GoPro (a GoPro Hero 1) which is 1080p and shows some marvellous detail - even at 80mph - but has no Sound recording! The GoPro battery also isnt man enough for a four hour drive.

I have since searched the net and identified what I should have found earlier - a mirror-mounted model with two cameras (fwd & aft) with sound and GPS...but not for me just now. I'll make do with my mistake for a while longer.

Remember that they record your own mistakes too!

gray

Sergeant
"Auto-Save on Collision"

I thought that was just to stop it re-recording over already 'taped' footage to save the most recent and pertinent data.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Any goaters got a dash cam? Had a couple of near misses in Elgin and have decided to invest in one. Looking around they all seem pretty much the same. Any one got any recommendations/horror stories?

Yep,,one facing front and one rear. Overkill? Not really as Amazon sent 2 by mistake.

after some of the stuff I've seen in the day job I'd say you're mad if you don't have one.

As has been said it can not only save your skin, but cost you it if you've got a heavy right foot or don't know the Highway Code.

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Yep have a Next Base 402G (available from Maplin) works really well and very good night time recording as well. recommended this to a friend whose partner left it on in his car when it went in for a service it recorded everything the mechanics said and did not do on a regular service, he used this when he challenged the garage owner, needless to say his service was FOC and he subsequently changed garages. so yes they are a good thing to have. This one cost around £140 (ish)

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I've been meaning to get one for a while (for my motorbike, so not really 'dash' mounted...), but been waiting on other investments first - winter proved to me that my cruiser needs a screen, because 60mph at -5 in the snow isn't nice. Screen is hopefully being delivered today, so perhaps the bar-cam will be my next purchase!

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
ive got one, decent picture front and rear and stores months of footage (i do 80 miles every day) records speed and g forces with a gps sensor that tracks you on google maps.

best thirty quid ive spent in a while.