• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm transgender. Is the RAF the right place for me?

I've always been interested in joining up, but I am male-to-female transgender. From what I've seen online it shouldn't be a problem - I've flicked through JSP 889 - but what is it really like? What's the general attitude towards that sort of thing?

(side note - does your uniform get tailored? I am very tall and slim and some of my ATC kit fits me like a tent)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Hi Lucy, you might find the RAF LGBTQ+ network on Facebook is a better source of info on this, than here, there’s a lot of people like me who left a few years ago and the pace of change of attitudes has been pretty rapid on this.

Good luck

Hi Lucy, you might find the RAF LGBTQ+ network on Facebook is a better source of info on this, than here, there’s a lot of people like me who left a few years ago and the pace of change of attitudes has been pretty rapid on this.

Good luck
Will take a look, thanks for the suggestion

Deltaitem

Corporal
If there's an airshow anywhere near you this summer, a visit and informal chat with any RAF personnel may also give you a snapshot of what it's like right now.
It was a lot less enlightened back in the day. I'm glad to say that nowadays, the military is a lot more in tune with the values of the whole nation, because let's face it, the military is there to defend the whole nation.
Good luck.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Uniform does get tailored but even after tailoring it still fits most folks like a tent.

The proposed new uniform might be a better fit.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Official policy is absolutely fine with it.
How individual crew rooms treat people I don't know but I guess that's no different from the wider world. There's been enough stories in the media in recent years of unacceptable behaviour of all types from groups of individuals but I think the RAF in general is more accepting of individuals as who they are and unacceptable behaviour is much less common than in the army.

bigjd

LAC
I am currently in phase 2 training and to be honest I couldn't imagine it being a problem at all! There is a zero tolerance approach to bullying of any kind and to be fair the atmosphere is really good at my camp. If it's a job that interests you then go for it, the RAF are also very good at supporting you. I have been going through some problems at home and they have been really good at squaring me away and helping me when I need it.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
I am currently in phase 2 training and to be honest I couldn't imagine it being a problem at all! There is a zero tolerance approach to bullying of any kind and to be fair the atmosphere is really good at my camp. If it's a job that interests you then go for it, the RAF are also very good at supporting you. I have been going through some problems at home and they have been really good at squaring me away and helping me when I need it.
Is that your trade training? How’s it going.. We moved recently and came across my old trade training notes as an air leckie from 77 and 80 if they’re any use!!!

bigjd

LAC
Thanks for the kind offer but I think I should be alright. It's tough going back to learning maths, science etc after 20 years out of school. So far passing my exams though and enjoying it! 3 months down just 12 to go!