• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Idiot or criminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
The clown who decides to wear the Hillborough T-shirt. Is he just an idiot who wanted to provoke a reaction or was his arrest justified?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-36412814

Personally, whilst I won't express my feelings about the T-Shirt's slogan on here (because they are irrelevent), I can't help but feel that he shouldn't have been arrested.

It wasn't all that long ago the world was defending a cartoonist's right to draw whatever he chooses regardless of any offence that they were undoubtedly (given the target) going to cause.

3343c1140cdba5c10b0836bcd7a61135.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I agree - he shouldn't have been arrested.

A quiet word in his ear by PC Plod asking him quietly to either remove the T-shirt or cover it up should have sufficed.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The clown who decides to wear the Hillborough T-shirt. Is he just an idiot who wanted to provoke a reaction or was his arrest justified?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-36412814

Personally, whilst I won't express my feelings about the T-Shirt's slogan on here (because they are irrelevent), I can't help but feel that he shouldn't have been arrested.

It wasn't all that long ago the world was defending a cartoonist's right to draw whatever he chooses regardless of any offence that they were undoubtedly (given the target) going to cause.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I'd say he was both.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
But it was perfectly ok for muslim protesters at a parade by an Army regiment returning from Afghanistan to wave placards stating that soldiers were babykillers, should be beheaded and England you will have your 9/11. It's a funny old world isn't it?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Think arrest is a bit harsh, if I were he I'd be forced to go to court to clear my name unless the charges are dropped.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Think arrest is a bit harsh, if I were he I'd be forced to go to court to clear my name unless the charges are dropped.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

What has he got to clear his name for. He's broken the law as it stands.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
But it was perfectly ok for muslim protesters at a parade by an Army regiment returning from Afghanistan to wave placards stating that soldiers were babykillers, should be beheaded and England you will have your 9/11. It's a funny old world isn't it?

Agree. You can't criminalise people for being an @rse otherwise we'd run out of prison rooms. Although I suppose that if he doesn't get dragged over the coals and put in front of the beak, the ant-Conservative conspiracy society will start wanting an investigation about the cover-up over the comments from Boris Johnson about the people of Liverpool.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Agree. You can't criminalise people for being an @rse otherwise we'd run out of prison rooms. Although I suppose that if he doesn't get dragged over the coals and put in front of the beak, the ant-Conservative conspiracy society will start wanting an investigation about the cover-up over the comments from Boris Johnson about the people of Liverpool.

Why have you brought politics into it.

briggfairy

Sergeant

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just because somethings offensive it doesn't make it illegal, people are way to quick to be outraged on behalf of others nowadays.

If you arrest everyone who offends you or you don't agree with then your no better than Stalin.

So he wasn't breaking any law then if so why was he arrested under section 5 public order laws.

So if someone had the same t shirt and I you replaced the holocaust with hillsborough would that be OK. I don't think so.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just because somethings offensive it doesn't make it illegal, people are way to quick to be outraged on behalf of others nowadays.

If you arrest everyone who offends you or you don't agree with then your no better than Stalin.

There was a fair few people in that pub including the publican who found the t shirt offensive. So because we find things offensive or don't agree with them we should just let them continue letting them offend us.

briggfairy

Sergeant
So he wasn't breaking any law then if so why was he arrested under section 5 public order laws.

So if someone had the same t shirt and I you replaced the holocaust with hillsborough would that be OK. I don't think so.

I'm not saying that the T-shirt wasn't offensive, It's just that we in this country should retain the right to offend, and no I don't believe wearing a t-shirt no matter what is on it represents a crime.

we have the right to free speech in this country which means we have the right to offend and the right to be offended, like it or not that is the country and society we live in.

I'm assuming that you backed the writers of charlie hebdo after they were attacked despite them creating and printing some very offensive material?

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Quick question, what would of happened if the person was not British and the T shirt supported, say the terrorist atrocities in this country for example, would the response have been the same, or would everyone just mutter under their breaths in case of an accusation of racism, and/or the police turn a blind eye to avoid accusations of targeting an non English ethnic group.

Not saying what he has done is right, nor disagreeing that the public and police acted as how might be expected, just pondering the state this country appears to have sunk to with the inequalities of life in this weird multi-cultural society we now have.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As someone who swapped a leppings rd end ticket for a seat this is close to my heart. This man is a moron and he must have thought that wearing it in Worcester he could get away with it. How wrong was he. I bet he wouldn't wear it up here. We can't afford to go back to the 70s when programmes like love thy neighbour thought they were funny. How many people were offended by that but couldn't do nothing about it.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
While I defend the right to free speech to the hilt, and without seeing what was on the T shirt, I would suggest that the individual in question only chose to wear it in order to inflame public opinion; in essence - to cause trouble, stir up hatred and raise tensions over a clearly evocative subject.

Given that we arrest people for religious hatred, how is this any different?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
While I defend the right to free speech to the hilt, and without seeing what was on the T shirt, I would suggest that the individual in question only chose to wear it in order to inflame public opinion; in essence - to cause trouble, stir up hatred and raise tensions over a clearly evocative subject.

Given that we arrest people for religious hatred, how is this any different?
I'd agree with you if he wore it then went for a walk around Anfield, then again he wouldn't have walked away. However, I am guessing he did it as a joke, a poor taste joke, but a joke none the less.

By the way being arrested and charged doesn't mean you've done anything illegal, that's for the courts to decide.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I'd agree with you if he wore it then went for a walk around Anfield, then again he wouldn't have walked away. However, I am guessing he did it as a joke, a poor taste joke, but a joke none the less.

By the way being arrested and charged doesn't mean you've done anything illegal, that's for the courts to decide.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Perhaps one way to educate this fellow would be to encourage him to go for a walk around Anfield in said T shirt - let's see what the locals think of his sense of humour......

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
He has the right to offer offence and take offence, just as everyone he potentially insults does.

Providing the reaction it elicits is within the law, no one need be concerned.

As it happens, Hillsborough and all that attends upon it comes in for more than it's fair share of goading simply, because they never take the bloody day off. It has its own mafia - and people like to antagonise them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.